Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drexler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Just wondering if anyone had any idea of a good program or way to do some really simple editing of .avi files, exactly like what I could do it QT pro?

Basically I want to cut out half of a tv show, but the file I have is one of those files that won't open up in QT pro, it always says that QT doesnt have the necessary codec and redirects me to the Mac site, which then says that it doesnt have the right thing. (When I check the info for the file in VLC it says that it is a DX50 codec...whatever that is!)

Anyway, if anyone had any workarounds or suggestions for other programs to do this on I would be really grateful...Thanks!

Drexler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
I'll give it a go, but it takes ages to load clips in iMovie and the file I was wanting to edit was about 1gig. I was hoping for a similar thing to QTpro where it was (relatively) fast. Thanks anyway though! :)

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
That's DivX (DX50) so just download the codecs from divx.com and you'll be good to go. QT will work fine with the proper codecs.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
live4ever said:
That's DivX (DX50) so just download the codecs from divx.com and you'll be good to go. QT will work fine with the proper codecs.

Yep. Just download DivX, install, and use QT Pro.

Drexler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Just downloading the DivX codec and then editing in QT Pro, havent tried the iMovie yet, though from what people seem to be saying, that should work too, so thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.