PDA

View Full Version : ibook 1.33 airport card install?

bookmanjb
Jul 23, 2006, 07:56 AM
I need to reseat my Airport Extreme card and I don't know where it is or how to do it on this "mid-2005" model. Please point me to the appropriate URL that has diagrams.

For some reason, the "mid 2005" g4 iBooks have a different Airport card removal and replacement procedure than the earlier models. Because, I suppose, airport cards were standard, i.e., not optional, with this model, the install process is not included in the manual. But you'd think that all I'd have to do is search the Apple site for "g4 ibook 1.33 airport card" or similar keywords and the instructions for removal and installation would be returned. Ha! and Double-Ha! Here are the official results of the above keywords: "Your search for g4 ibook 1.33 airport card returned no results." If you take out the word "card," Here's what you get: "PowerBook G4 Computers: How to Identify Different Models" Verrrrry frustrating.

Mid-2005 ibook g4 1.33 12" Mac OS X (10.4.7)

rdowns
Jul 23, 2006, 08:05 AM
Try this.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/83.2.0.html

iSaint
Jul 23, 2006, 08:10 AM
If I'm not mistaken, this newer iBook model doesn't give access to the Airport Card.

Here's the manual from the Apple Support site:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iBook_G4_(Mid_2005)_Users_Guide.pdf

May I ask why you need to reseat your Airport Extreme card?

bookmanjb
Jul 23, 2006, 09:19 AM
I have to reseat the airport card because I am experiencing frequent disconnections. My wife has an identical iBook with the same settings and no wireless problems therefore the problem is isolated to my machine. I have tried a slew of fixes and none has worked. So, before I take the sucker in to be fixed, I wanted to see if perhaps it's as simple as pulling the card out and putting it back in, just like one does occasionally with badly seated RAM. It seems to me if the card itself is failing, it wouldn't function perfectly for a few minutes before dropping the connection; it simply wouldn't work at all. I'm connected now via ethernet and everything is hunky-dory. Or maybe it's an antenna problem; the signal seems more to drift in and out than to outright drop. Sometimes it seems to drop when I try to go somewhere on Safari or to get email, but other times not. It's maddeningly irregular. Still, I've trolled the discussions at Apple.com and no one seems to have exactly this problem. If you have any ideas let me know.

bradleydad
Oct 20, 2007, 09:41 PM
so does any one know how to reseat the airport card? The links provided are BS. iFixit doesn't cover this model.
The iBook boots to a kernal panic. This is a known issue.

bradleydad
Oct 20, 2007, 11:56 PM
Ah, it was the airport/bluetooth card.

R&R, made sure screws were snug. Works.

(Bought this for parts, owner was told logic board had failed.)

Sixman6
Dec 22, 2007, 10:50 PM
i have the same ibook model and it keeps crashing once it gets to the desktop. it runs fine in safemode without the airport card working, so i suspect its the airport card causing all the ruckus. does this sound like it might be so or what made you believe it was the airport card causing the problem?

Tallest Skil
Dec 23, 2007, 07:49 AM
Please try to actually read the forum titles before you post. Not doing so makes you look ignorant.

This PSA has been brought to you by The Psywave Corporation™.

erwinh
Aug 20, 2008, 01:44 AM
Any updates to this problem? I experience Wifi problems too (no kernel panics), sometimes my 12" iBook mid 2005 doens't see any wireless networks. :mad:

@ bradleydad: what do you mean? Where you able to fix this?