PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Windows XP

ravenvii
Jul 23, 2006, 04:53 PM
I need a copy of Windows XP Professional (to use with Boot Camp). I want to buy on the cheap, because I don't have much money.

The original, non-SP1 or SP2 would be fine (you can slipstream SP2 into there and it'll work with Boot Camp, right?)

As long as it's legal and works with Boot Camp without (much) fiddling (none of that deleting EFI partition stuff!) is good.

Chef Medeski
Jul 23, 2006, 05:04 PM
I got a copy. XP Pro. Beautifully ugly. All yours. PMed u.

ieani
Jul 23, 2006, 06:39 PM
im looking for one as well. i was going to wait until i went back to college and pick a copy up for cheap at bookstore but if someone makes the right offer ill get it now.

ravenvii
Jul 23, 2006, 07:03 PM
im looking for one as well. i was going to wait until i went back to college and pick a copy up for cheap at bookstore but if someone makes the right offer ill get it now.

How much would it cost in that bookstore of yours?

DMPDX
Jul 23, 2006, 07:22 PM

mark!
Jul 23, 2006, 08:07 PM
At the University of Oregon Bookstore a home full edition copy was $99.00

:eek: DAMN! Geez, the bookstore here sells them for $10, I'd sell some here but that's against teh rules.

DMPDX
Jul 23, 2006, 08:12 PM
:eek: DAMN! Geez, the bookstore here sells them for $10, I'd sell some here but that's against teh rules.
I meant pro copies are tha tmuch, my bad. Is that for the cd, mauals and everything?

xfiftyfour
Jul 23, 2006, 08:13 PM

$99 :eek: .. our school sells them for 10 bucks each, as well.

mark!
Jul 23, 2006, 08:18 PM
I meant pro copies are tha tmuch, my bad. Is that for the cd, mauals and everything?

Yeah, we get Pro for $10. It only comes with a special CD case with 2 CDs inside, one for server, and one with the Pro cd. No manuals, but they don't care if you sell them, they don't have any policies or anything which is sorta insane, but they don't let you take it back. :confused:

I don't understand why this like...bajillion year old OS costs so much :confused: :confused:

:confused: :confused: ???

ieani
Jul 23, 2006, 10:10 PM
How much would it cost in that bookstore of yours?

$20.

almightyshoe
Jul 23, 2006, 10:49 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again: if you're an engineering or computer science college student, investigate into Microsoft for Students; just about all of Microsoft's products are available to you for free, including Windows XP Pro. In fact, the only product I havent' seen available for free is MS Office.

EDIT: Wow, that post made me look like a Microsoft Corporate Lackey. Support open source software, kids.

mark!
Jul 23, 2006, 10:52 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again: if you're an engineering or computer science college student, investigate into Microsoft for Students; just about all of Microsoft's products are available to you for free, including Windows XP Pro. In fact, the only product I havent' seen available for free is MS Office.

the uni here lets you download office for free.

trainguy77
Jul 23, 2006, 10:54 PM
Almost all book store things like that DO have a policy. Which is normally that you must uninstall it once you are no longer a student. Its a lease. This is just how all universities that have seen/or talked with work.

keysersoze
Jul 24, 2006, 07:47 AM
Almost all book store things like that DO have a policy. Which is normally that you must uninstall it once you are no longer a student. Its a lease. This is just how all universities that have seen/or talked with work.

As a grad-student at Boston University, I can download most of the Microsoft apps including Server, XP, Visio etc. I have read the policy and I do NOT have to uninstall it after I am a student. So check your policy for details.

trainguy77
Jul 24, 2006, 11:41 AM
As a grad-student at Boston University, I can download most of the Microsoft apps including Server, XP, Visio etc. I have read the policy and I do NOT have to uninstall it after I am a student. So check your policy for details.
I want a policy like that....:rolleyes:

techound1
Jul 24, 2006, 09:00 PM
I've got a couple of OEM XP disks if anyone still needs them - yours for the asking and postage! :cool:

ieani
Jul 24, 2006, 10:02 PM
I've got a couple of OEM XP disks if anyone still needs them - yours for the asking and postage! :cool:

what are OEM?

trainguy77
Jul 24, 2006, 10:21 PM
Have the disks been used on any PC before? If so its illegal to sell them. And macrumors does not like that type of thing. ;)

OEM products are sold to system creators and are tied to the first computer that uses them.

JackSYi
Jul 25, 2006, 03:12 PM
I heard about this place where they actually give it out for free. I forget the name though. I installed their copy of XP Pro with Boot Camp and it works flawlessly.

getbigg21
Jul 25, 2006, 06:53 PM
well if anyone has a copy of this xp for cheap i would like one. i'm really wanting to use boot camp

techound1
Jul 25, 2006, 07:46 PM
Have the disks been used on any PC before? If so its illegal to sell them. And macrumors does not like that type of thing. ;)

OEM products are sold to system creators and are tied to the first computer that uses them.

What if the computer bites the dust? Oh, say a powersurge blows most of it to oblivion. Is it tied to the slightly blackened case? Where *does* that fall??? :p

4JNA
Jul 25, 2006, 08:44 PM
What if the computer bites the dust? Oh, say a powersurge blows most of it to oblivion. Is it tied to the slightly blackened case? Where *does* that fall??? :p

per microsoft oem licensing, the motherboard is actually what they view as the 'computer'. you can change/upgrade anything EXCEPT the motherboard, and still be within the letter of the law. change the processor, add memory, move to a bigger hard drive... no problem, just re-install and re-activate. if your oem computer (dell, hp, custom built, etc) dies and takes out the motherboard, you are actually required by microsoft to purchase a new copy of the operating system. the old/original oem coa is no longer valid and can not be used. some of the first tier (dell, hp, etc) companies obviously ignore that part, or have some magic loop hole, but that what the oem eula states. as a registered oem system builder, they send me all the sales 'are you sure you're legal?' crap all the time, and this was the final ruling from the marketing/legal departments after the whole 'we are de-activating the coa's of the oem channel' thing they did several months back. that is, they turned off the ability to re-activate the oem keys on most of the first tier computers due to the coa's being re-sold on ebay; also not legal according to microsoft.

most of the marketing/sales flyers are very useful for starting fires in the fireplace during winter. all the pretty pictures make colorful flames. :rolleyes:

trainguy77
Jul 25, 2006, 10:25 PM
per microsoft oem licensing, the motherboard is actually what they view as the 'computer'. you can change/upgrade anything EXCEPT the motherboard, and still be within the letter of the law. change the processor, add memory, move to a bigger hard drive... no problem, just re-install and re-activate. if your oem computer (dell, hp, custom built, etc) dies and takes out the motherboard, you are actually required by microsoft to purchase a new copy of the operating system.
I have heard that you can replace the motherboard IF its due to a bad motherboard. But it has to be replaced with the same model.

getbigg21
Jul 25, 2006, 10:26 PM
yeah it would be great to just get the xp sp2 disc. i don't wanna go through all the trouble of slipstreaming

jono_3
Jul 26, 2006, 11:44 AM
is anyone interested in reselling a few of those bookstore copies? pm me

macdaddy121
Aug 1, 2006, 09:14 PM
I don't understand how the whole bootcamp and xp thing works but as of Thursday I will have my Macbook and I need to have Windows on there. Bootcamp is a free download so I need XP. My college doesn't offer them so I was wondering if anyone had a copy?? Any help would be great. Thanks.

TheBurninator
Aug 2, 2006, 03:22 AM
I guess I'll post here too since I can't start my own thread... LOL

I need a copy of XP Pro if anyone can get it for pretty cheap (since everybody has a mac anyway).

My version of windows is apparently pirated, and can't get the auto updates since it's not legal, so I guess I'll just have to get a new one.

Corey

keithbennis
Aug 2, 2006, 03:27 PM
is anyone interested in reselling a few of those bookstore copies? pm me

^^ same here. I'll be glad to pay shipping and whatever price you ask for for your time and effort. PM me...

serpent
Aug 2, 2006, 08:32 PM
I'd take one of those 10$ xp pro's also! anyways from what I've bought both online and at stores I've always had to buy a piece of hardware when purchasing an OEM copy of xp. a modem, cd drive etc.

Serpent

gunpowda
Aug 8, 2006, 04:41 PM
If anyone's willing to ship XP Pro to the UK, I'll pay postage. Thanks!

deepy
Aug 8, 2006, 06:07 PM
If anyone's willing to ship XP Pro to the UK, I'll pay postage. Thanks!

I'll join that queue too. Windows XP Pro SP2 - OEM or not ....as long as it works in bootcamp i want it....pm me.

thank you :D

EDIT: Scratch that - just researched the MSDN thing for students in Computer Science departments and realised my university gives free copies.......yey......now i dont have to use my pirated copies :|

macdaddy121
Aug 8, 2006, 06:28 PM
I'm also still waiting for a PM from anyone interested in getting rid of a copy. Thanks.

minnesotamacman
Aug 9, 2006, 09:21 PM
I am selling my copy of Windows XP, standard edition with SP2 included.

Although not cheap, I am taking $75 shipped for it. I also am willing to
sell my Parallels Activation code for $35... I don't need Windows on my
Mac... So this can go. I am taking a hit, but oh well.

b1NARY73
Aug 10, 2006, 12:11 AM
YHPM. XP Pro SP2 for Sale.

ReanimationLP
Aug 10, 2006, 02:42 AM
I have XP Home Edition OEM SP2 for 50. Fully legal.

Or trades for a PS2, or a broken PS2 and a bit of cash. Or a broken iPod 3G, 4G, or 5G.

bep207
Aug 10, 2006, 11:15 AM
I have XP Home Edition OEM SP2 for 50. Fully legal.

Or trades for a PS2, or a broken PS2 and a bit of cash. Or a broken iPod 3G, 4G, or 5G.

ill take it, pm sent.
i have a PS2 and broken 4G 20gb ipod, no screen, not sure about the HDD

DMPDX
Aug 15, 2006, 04:51 PM
I have XP Home w/ SP2 OEM I just bought it to put on a system, but due to a need of cash for something I have to sell it. I bought it for $100.00 so Im looking for somewhere around there. pm me.
-dsm