Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Thought I'd revive this thread with a couple of questions on BIG prints.

I have a 30D (8.2MP: 3504x2332) and want to get a few prints made to frame on the wall. The math as follows, keeps the original aspect ratio for a picture @ [Xdpi]:

3504/[Xdpi], 2332/[Xdpi] = Width, Height (ex.5x7)

Charting out the print quality table for a resolution of 3504x2332:

@ 300dpi = 11.68 x 7.77
@ 250dpi = 14.02 x 9.33
@ 200dpi = 17.52 x 11.66

#1. If I want to get even bigger print sizes, how far can I go before seeing a big difference? I've heard of people going up to 16x24.
#2. I am planning to upload my 50MB TIFFs to MPIX.com. Has anyone ordered thru them before?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I've got a beautiful 16X24 hanging on my wall from MPIX.

From a 6MP Rebel. ;)

I usually blow my stuff up by increasing the images size 10% at a time.

I don't even think you need to upload TIFF's - mine were 300dpi jpegs...and the packaging and turnaround is awesome. They're the best.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Most of the readers on the MPIX forums think that the company's highest output is 250dpi, but no one knows for sure. Any confirmation on that iGary?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
carletonmusic said:
Most of the readers on the MPIX forums think that the company's highest output is 250dpi, but no one knows for sure. Any confirmation on that iGary?

That's a good point - I know I uploaded at 300...but in any event, I had a couple of 16X24's made, and they even honored the Adobe RGB tag. They shipped the next day, and it arrived on a nice piece of cardboard perfectly shrinkwrapped. So while I cannot tell you their maximum dpi, I can attest to their good service and print work.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I get every one of my prints from mpix. They always ship really fast, look great, and come to me in pristine condition.

Just to echo what iGary said - they're the best.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
iGary said:

From a 6MP Rebel. ;)

I don't even think you need to upload TIFF's - mine were 300dpi jpegs...and the packaging and turnaround is awesome. They're the best.

I use mpix, they are great. Haven't done any 16 x 24's but have a photographer friend that has had really nice 16 x 24's done with her 10D, which is 6.3 MP I think. Jpegs work just fine and upload a hell of a lot faster,

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
awesome, I'm really looking forward to them!

For those of you who have ordered, did you have them put on the Luster Coating? (I splurged because it was my first order but I've read that it doesn't make much difference.)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
iGary said:

From a 6MP Rebel. ;)

I might suggest http://professionalcolor.com/, these are the people that did the sample 24x36 inch prints that you may have seen in your local camera store - of prints from the D50 RAW file.

We have one at my location in Tysons. And I saw like 4 others IIRC when the nikon rep came through for training on the D50. Very nice work.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I've used Miller's Lab (MPIX is a consumer division) for three or four years, and they offer awesome service. 250 is the recommended resolution, however I've uploaded 300 before with no problem. If you order before noon CST, you'll have your pictures the next day (provided you chose overnight shipping). Their labs are located in Pittsburg, KS (usually film only) and Columbia, MO (digital).

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
That picture I put in the macro thread, or something similar to that. What would you suggest as the biggest size (inch x inch) that I should go with printing that? Mpix or at home for that matter. Sorry if this is thread jacking...

This is the first time I've heard of this company and they look great! I'm glad to see all the good reviews, it seems like so often something looks like it would work out perfect for you and then you read all these reviews and it turns out they're a unreliable or fradulent company.:(

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Buschmaster said:
That picture I put in the macro thread, or something similar to that. What would you suggest as the biggest size (inch x inch) that I should go with printing that? Mpix or at home for that matter. Sorry if this is thread jacking...

Look at the resolution and divide the width and height measurements by 250. That is what MPIX will print it at, anything larger will "technically" start to pixelate, but how soon you see that depends on the quality of the shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.