Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHotu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
at large
I have been asked to look at a non working Powerbook 5300cs to see what if anything can be done with it. I have removed the 500MB HD and connected it to a G5 iMac using a IDE to USB adapter. The drive powers up and mounts, however it hangs when any of the folders are selected.

My question is should this work like any other USB drive in Finder or is there a better way? I would like to be able to grab a few files off of it, then securely erase it. However when I try to copy a file or open a folder, Finder hangs.

I think it has system 7 installed from 95-96, but I'm not sure, see pic.

Thanks

Attachments

• screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 152

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
There should be no problem. Go into disk Utility and do a disk verify. See what it turns up.

iHotu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
at large
trainguy77 said:
There should be no problem. Go into disk Utility and do a disk verify. See what it turns up.

I get an error when I try to verify the disk with Disk Utility, says the disk can not be unmounted, somethings not right.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
If it was running System 7.5.3(?) which it came with,it isn't formatted for/doesn't support HFS+. Maybe that's your problem?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
MonksMac said:
If it was running System 7.5.3(?) which it came with,it isn't formatted for/doesn't support HFS+. Maybe that's your problem?
The disk is in HFS which is supported by OS 7. It also is supported in X.

iHotu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
at large
trainguy77 said:
hmmmm......thats stange. Well see if it can repair it.

Thanks for the replies and confirming that OSX Finder should be able to interact with an HD pulled from a System 7 machine via the IDE to USB cable.

I get the same "could not unmount the disk" error when I try to repair or verify the drive.

As the files are not too important, I'm thinking about trying to erase the drive, but I don't have the software restore disks to reload if the HD starts to act normal. Even if I did, the old powerbook will turn on, but that's about it. The screen is dark and the system is silent, so either the display is broken or the logic board is dead or who knows.

Looked around and found that System 7.0.1 and 7.5.3 are available for download from Apple for free!

Attachments

• two.jpg
    two.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 74

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Trying clicking on the root drive and doing a repair. If that does not work, make sure you have nothing open from the drive, then try unmount it manually.

iHotu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
at large
trainguy77 said:
Trying clicking on the root drive and doing a repair. If that does not work, make sure you have nothing open from the drive, then try unmount it manually.

Tried to repair the root drive with the same results. When I try to eject the drive in finder it hangs and I just get the spinning beachball until I unplug the drive. With Disk Utility, unmounting and ejecting both result in:

"Unmount failed, the disk could not be unmounted, Make sure that all applications and files are closed on this disk"

This is right after plugging in the drive, so I would assume nothing is trying to access this drive.

If anyone can suggest another option (Windows or Mac) to try and gain access to this disk, it would be appreciated.

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
Did you try changing the name of the drive to something different. The '?' or something may be causing problems. Probably not the real issue, but it is worth a shot.

iHotu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
at large
The name looked odd to me too, but this is the first time I have used anything pre-OSX.

Tried to erase it with Disk Utility, but it just hangs and gives the same error.

Ended up reformatting it to FAT32 with Windows, works great transferring back and forth large files under Windows.

Plug it back into the iMac to reformat it Mac OS Standard, but it hangs just like before. I have used this cable with 3.5" drives, so I don't think it's the cable.

I can see the files I put there under Windows in finder and was able to start transferring them, but then it just starts to hang again, weird.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Maybe the drive is going bad. It is over 10+ years old...

EDIT:
I just now thought of it, you probaly could have used Basilisk II!
Basilisk II is a 68k mac emulator and will run the System 7 OS!
For more info google Basilisk II

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.