PDA

View Full Version : Apple's New Processor Woes: Processing Too Soon

MacBytes
Jul 24, 2006, 07:04 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Apple's New Processor Woes: Processing Too Soon (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060724080401)
Description:: Intel chips shipping earlier than expected.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Yvan256
Jul 24, 2006, 08:00 AM
It all depends if the new processors use the same socket/chipset/etc. If Apple can just swap the processors, there's no real big problem.

If it's a whole new configuration, then yes, Apple may have to manage their motherboards manufacturing differently and re-think their design strategies (design a laptop for, say, 50% more heat dissipation for future processors).

Eidorian
Jul 24, 2006, 08:03 AM
Socket 479 and Socket 775. Not much change lately other then voltages and bus speed.

simonthewolf
Jul 24, 2006, 08:14 AM
This is terrible. Let's do a deal with Motorola! :D

Problem solved. :rolleyes:

eji
Jul 24, 2006, 08:50 AM
I like how it's gone from one extreme to the other in less than a year. First we're waiting for months for measly .1GHz speed bumps, and now we've got kick-ass chips like Conroe, Merom and Woodcrest following one another out of the starting gate. Pretty cool.

But, no, it's not cool if you're the owner of, say, an MBP, and you're one of the unlucky users who's had to endure problem after problem with those notebooks, and now they're almost definitely going to be getting a major Rev B processor bump and the bugs ironed out. Ah, well. The cost of the cutting edge.

Stella
Jul 24, 2006, 08:58 AM
This is a minor issue that Apple will ( have to) to overcome. And really, I don't think its much of a problem - Apple have revised the MacBook Pro in response to faster processors already.

Anyway, its not as if Intel crank out new successors to its processor line less than every 6 months anyway... ( i.e., a new generation, g4 , g5 etc - not merely speed bumps ).

I'd rather Apple be in this position than stuck with the Moto / IBM issues where they were unable to crank out competitive processors.

BenRoethig
Jul 24, 2006, 09:00 AM
I think it is up to the user to be informed to some extent. I made a decision I was waiting until core2 to buy a machine. If someone made the decsion they could not wait a bit for a new machine, that's their choice.

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 24, 2006, 09:18 AM
What this boils down to is that many PC makers allow the consumer to pick & choose componets as they are available, Apple has allways played the top secret game of waiting a year and then announcing a itsy witsy tiny winy little bitty bump in the powerPc. That Game is over.:)

BackInTheSaddle
Jul 24, 2006, 09:20 AM
This article isn't news. Every computer is obsolete the moment it hits the street; there is always something faster and better on the horizon. If you're someone that always has to have the latest and greatest, be prepared to spend some bucks to keep up. Most people are satisfied to have a new computer every three years or so. I upgrade more frequently but that's due to my own wants/needs.

I don't buy a computer because of the microprocessor inside, I buy it because of the total experience and the machine's ability to do the job I need. I really couldn't care less whether it is a Motorola, IBM or Intel processor. The author of this article really seems to have bought into the "Intel Inside" marketing.

Besides, I doubt the day is soon coming that I don't get wowed by "one more thing." :-)

Little Endian
Jul 24, 2006, 11:03 AM
The article makes a very good point about Apple needing to be more aggressive in updating it's product line with the switch to intel. I previously posted about this point in a past thread with some other concerns.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2268202#post2268202

All in all it's nice to see the increased momentum in advancement since the switch to intel. The only real negative I see though is that the Macs once great resale value will start to decline with frequent updates. With the PowerPC machines resale value held up very strong.

Silencio
Jul 24, 2006, 11:40 AM
I think it is up to the user to be informed to some extent. I made a decision I was waiting until core2 to buy a machine. If someone made the decsion they could not wait a bit for a new machine, that's their choice.

Absolutely. If you're the type of buyer that thinks he got screwed because a machine that's 200MHz faster was released two weeks after you bought yours, then you're the type of buyer who needs to pay closer attention to Intel's roadmaps.

simX
Jul 24, 2006, 12:10 PM
Absolutely. If you're the type of buyer that thinks he got screwed because a machine that's 200MHz faster was released two weeks after you bought yours, then you're the type of buyer who needs to pay closer attention to Intel's roadmaps.

Actually, if you're the type of buyer that thinks he got screwed because a machine that's 200 MHz faster was released two weeks after you bought yours, then you're the type of buyer who really needs to read the fine print on your buyer's rights since you would be covered under Apple's 14-day price protection policy. :rolleyes:

Now if you were talking about a month rather than 2 weeks, THEN your statement would be accurate. :p

Silencio
Jul 24, 2006, 02:19 PM
Actually, if you're the type of buyer that thinks he got screwed because a machine that's 200 MHz faster was released two weeks after you bought yours, then you're the type of buyer who really needs to read the fine print on your buyer's rights since you would be covered under Apple's 14-day price protection policy. :rolleyes:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pedant :D

winmacguy
Jul 25, 2006, 03:23 AM
It's really just a case of what you loose on the swings you pick up on the round-a-bouts. Probably for the first time in Apple's history will they be able to ship computers based on the consumer demand which should lead to an increase in market share and a continued growth in profits with a possible trade off in design cloaked in secrecy.

macnulty
Jul 25, 2006, 11:24 PM
The article has an interesting angle but completely overlooks Apple's most important feature, the Mac OS. With the other manufacturers running Windows, getting the latest and greatest to market first becomes key to moving inventory. But it also means they constrained by Windows limitations that Apple doesn't have, ie EFI vs bios.