Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gm7Cadd9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
http://msn-cnet.com.com/2300-1041_3...net&subj=ns_3-6091338-8&tag=msn_home&GT1=8394

This was on the front page of hotmail today citing the top 10 worst tech innovations of 2006... topping out the list is the Segway, but if you ask me this was all just a ploy to chake a cheap shot at Steve Wozniak. Take a look at what they said:

"1. Worst new sport: Segway polo

Hmm, if only there were a way to combine the dorkiness of riding a Segway with the snobbery of a polo match. It seems Apple Computer co-founder Steve Wozniak's next venture is to popularize the game of Segway polo, once he's done finding ways of cheating in it and forcing them to rewrite the rules every week. When Woz isn't busy annoying everyone on the Segway polo grounds with "tactics" such as throwing his mallet and clubbing shots over their heads, he's busy braining passersby with errant shots. See all this and more in our incredibly uncomfortable video."

:confused:

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
"Uncomfortable" on so many levels. The guy should ditch the segway and jog around a little. I guess you have to kill time somehow with all that money.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Yaay for Segway! In French we always annoy the teacher with them. Its really funny. "Whats this word?"......"Segway!"

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
the segway is just one side of the coin, the wheel chairs they make are amazing and improve the quality of life for thousands of people.

Scruff

macrumors member
May 6, 2006
I never really see the point in a Segway... wouldn't it just be easier to whack a third wheel on the front, like good ol' Maddox suggested? I just never really saw the attraction...

I'm sure someone will explain it to me.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Scruff said:
I never really see the point in a Segway...

I'm sure someone will explain it to me.
I'm not sure that they can. There are some things that you get and others that you don't. The Segway is a gyroscopically-balanced two-wheel scooter. You manuver it by shifting your weight. This paradigm would not be possible if the Segway had three wheels as is the case with some of its imitators. It takes a couple of minutes to get the hang of it, but it only takes a couple of minutes. Quickly, machine and rider become one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.