PDA

View Full Version : ATI Radeon 9000 Question ...

JupiterZen
Mar 10, 2003, 09:47 AM
I'm considering a new graphics card because the fanwhine on my Geforce3 is getting on my nerves.

So I was looking at the ATI Radeon 9000, because it doesn't have a fan, but was wondering what the opinions on the card were around here.

I've looked at the Cinebench results of the 9000 over at xlr8yourmac.com and according to these it's faster that the Geforce4 Ti. While the price is almost half of what Apple charges for the ADC Geforce4 at the Apple Store.

I'm I missing something, or is the 9000 a really good deal if I want to get rid of the fanwhine.

Thanx.

khollister
Mar 10, 2003, 09:53 AM
The GF4Ti also has a fan, I believe, so if you want to go fanless you really don't any other options.

I have a new PM with the ATI 9000, and while I can't offer direct comparison against a GF4, I certainly haven't had any problems or performance concerns that would make me question the 9000.

JupiterZen
Mar 10, 2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by khollister
The GF4Ti also has a fan, I believe, so if you want to go fanless you really don't any other options.

I have a new PM with the ATI 9000, and while I can't offer direct comparison against a GF4, I certainly haven't had any problems or performance concerns that would make me question the 9000.

Thanx for the info.

And am I correct in assuming that you can connect two displays to the 9000? Like the dualhead NVidia cards?

Wes
Mar 10, 2003, 10:09 AM
Yes, I use my ADC port for my Formac 1740 and my dvi I sometimes connect to a dvi-> vga adapter to hook up to my plasma screen. Spanning and Mirroring work like a dream, very intuitive.

Originally posted by JupiterZen
Thanx for the info.

And am I correct in assuming that you can connect two displays to the 9000? Like the dualhead NVidia cards?

crazytom
Mar 10, 2003, 11:13 AM
I have the radeon 9000 in my G4 Dual MDD. I've experience a couple of intermittent problems. One, on rare occasions, I get garbled graphics, which is only cured by a shutdown/cooldown and reboot.

The other thing that is a minor annoyance is when I boot up, I don't get any video until the OS X splash screen (I don't see the gray apple with the spinning circle of bars). This seems to be an effect of having my resolution set to 1600x1200...it doesn't happen at any other resolution.

These things are very minor, otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the card.

Here's a screenshot of the problem...I'm actually surprised that this came out... But, it only happens every once and a while.

khollister
Mar 10, 2003, 04:48 PM
I have a 20" Cinema on my Radeon 9000, and have never had either of these problems. Then again, I don't use the 1600x1200 resolution.

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 10, 2003, 05:02 PM
Hold off, the 9000 pro will be replaced with a new 9200 soon. also you will not see much difference from a geforce3 and 9000 pro. wait and get a 9700 pro or 9800 pro or 9200 but to get a 9000 pro right now will be a waist of money . just my 2 cents. I have a geforce3 and watch these benchmarks on cards all the time. Patience is a virtue. blow out your fan.

iJon
Mar 10, 2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Hold off, the 9000 pro will be replaced with a new 9200 soon. also you will not see much difference from a geforce3 and 9000 pro. wait and get a 9700 pro or 9800 pro or 9200 but to get a 9000 pro right now will be a waist of money . just my 2 cents. I have a geforce3 and watch these benchmarks on cards all the time. Patience is a virtue. blow out your fan.
we just recently had the 9000 available for seperate order. it will be forever till a 9200 comes to the mac. just got with the 9000. also i find it really hard to believe that the 9000 could beat out a ti. i highly think this would not be true in the pc world, maybe the mac world though.

iJon

JupiterZen
Mar 10, 2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Hold off, the 9000 pro will be replaced with a new 9200 soon.

Too late ;) just ordered the card. And to be honest the performance is not the main issue for me. Gettin' rid of the fan is my main reason for getting a new card.

I don't play games om my Mac and if the performance of Quartz Extreme is comparable with the Geforce3 I have now, then that will be good enough for now.

I think iJon is right when he says it will take forever before the new cards will be available for the Mac. It seems it's always like that and I can always eBay the 9000 when I just have to get the new 9200 or 9700 if they eventually arrive.

Thanx for all the feedback.