Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
I recently purchased the Nike+iPod accessory from the Apple store, and overall I am very impressed with the interface, ease, and practicality. However, I have a few concerns and questions.

I do not own a pair of Nike+ Shoes, and therefore, I slip the Nike "chip" into my laces. I am afraid that doing this may render the internal sensor (more) innaccurate.
Question 1 : Does anyone know the mechanics of how the sensor operates.

Thoughts:
-My intuition tells me that it can sense the abrupt change in direction of your foot when you pull your leg back from a forward stride.
-It could also be that it can sense it's distance from your ipod.
-Or perhaps it measures the distance between strides. What do you think?​

Gripe 1: The calorimeter on this is has to be completely wrong. How can it rate my metabolism? I beleive that they made it as accurate as possible within financial and practical bounds, but I see NO reason for including it considering the room for vast amounts off error.

The leads me to my 2nd question

Question 2: Does it know if you are accending and decending, this could certainly affect the "calorimeter"

Gripe 2: I can quickly change my pace, but the ipod records a long gradual pace change over like 15 seconds. This totally destroys it's "average pace" capability. Especially if you are running consecutive hills. You could possible run a hill so quickly that it never really noticed a major change in pace.

Summary: Assuming there is error (from the calorimeter and the sensor) I recommend this as a Timer, a rough odometer only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.