Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noelmac75

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
UK
I bought a new imac 17" about 3 weeks ago, and i love it, but i wish the screen was a bit more of a contrast, the 17" studio display i used to have , looked more crisper and tonal range looked better, its fine when i look at it stright on, but if i move my head up, it starts to get a lot brighter and it fades away to nothing, is this what most lcd's are like, are did apple just put a cheap lcd in the imac, and use the better ones for the studio display, is there any way of making it more contrast and colourful.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Re: imac LCD Brightness

Originally posted by noelmac75
I bought a new imac 17" about 3 weeks ago, and i love it, but i wish the screen was a bit more of a contrast, the 17" studio display i used to have , looked more crisper and tonal range looked better, its fine when i look at it stright on, but if i move my head up, it starts to get a lot brighter and it fades away to nothing, is this what most lcd's are like, are did apple just put a cheap lcd in the imac, and use the better ones for the studio display, is there any way of making it more contrast and colourful.

Go to System Preferences and open the Display control panel. Click on Calibrate on the color menu. You need to calibrate the Monitor and adjust the gamma. There's is no contract control but adjusting the gamma will give you better contrast.

I suffered through this for a week and had just chalked it up (buying an iMac) as me being one of those suckers born every day. Adjusting the Gamma makes a world of difference. Choose advanced settings for more gamma control.

Apple ships the iMac at a gamma of 1.8 which is way to low for general computing. I recommend 2.2 or higher. Your eyes will be relieved and you'll enjoy the iMac much better. Now if they'd only fix the antialiasing. I really can't "read" on the iMac for very long. I hope they fix antialising soon. That's the last "big" problem keeping me from really enjoying the iMac

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I'm most likely stating the obvious, but have you tried pressing F14/F15 to adjust the brightness?

Just a thought. My 15' iMac is plenty bright....

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
If you want more control over your monitor's calibration, search for Supercal on VersionTracker. Follow the directions closely and your monitor will be calibrated perfectly.

noelmac75

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
UK
Originally posted by shakespeare
If you want more control over your monitor's calibration, search for Supercal on VersionTracker. Follow the directions closely and your monitor will be calibrated perfectly.

I downloaded that supercal, i couldnt calibrate it the other way, it wouldnt let me do anything when i went into system preferences, so i just took each step at a time using supercal, and i couldnt believe the difference, its so much better and more colourful than the washed out colour i used to have, colours look more real and saturated now, iam so much more happier, i've no problem with the text on my imac, how can they fix, will they bring out a program or an update or something. Does anyone know if you can make your windows transparent?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.