Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kreig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Maine
I am currently attempting to network a mac and a pc together. the mac os is 8.1 but i might upgrade to 9.2, the pc os is win2k advanced server. my main problem is creating a zone for the mac to enter into. any ideas???

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I don't remember much about OS 8.1 anymore, but if you are trying to do filesharing between the two machines, unless that windows server can serve appletalk somehow, I suggest you use something like Dave. Dave will allow pre-jaguar OS's to access windows shares. You will need to find a version compatible with 8.1 if you plan on doing that.

kreig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Maine
yeah, all windows servers can run apple talk, its currently installed. but how do you set up a zone???

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
It's been a while since I've done that, but I think all you have to do is name the Zone on the Win2k Server and let it auto seed the network. The Mac will find it automatically.

If I remember right, installing Mac services on Windows creates a control panel to configure the shares.

I don't believe you can run Appleshare over IP with a Windows server.

kreig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Maine
ok heres a question, how do you make a zone, can you do it in that control panel spot you speak of???

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I think Appleshare (afp://) is only an option on W2K Advanced Server. The option is not available under W2K, or W2K Server, just W2K Advanced Server (I know, I'm running all three ;) :rolleyes: )

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
Originally posted by kreig
ok heres a question, how do you make a zone, can you do it in that control panel spot you speak of???

I don't think so. If I remember correctly, you go into the Network and Dial-Up Connections folder where you will see a list of network adapters in the system. If you look at the properties of the adapter, you should see the Appletalk protocol in the list. I think you configure the zone in the Appletalk protocol properties.

kreig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Maine
ok i downloaded appleshare and am going to try it to see if it works or not.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I did this a long time ago in NT server, and I was surprised at how complicated Microsoft made it.

You don't need any software on the Mac side, at least.

You need to:
(1) Install or enable the Appletalk protocol, and enable it on the ethernet adapter.
(2) There is a control panel to set the zone. (Properties?)
(3) You need to create a share, if you don't already have one.
(4) You need to create a "volume" to share with the Appletalk users. There is a special control panel item, I think, for this. Then you need to verify that the volume is listed in the Appletalk Shared Volumes list.
(5) You need to add a user corresponding to the Mac in the Users and Groups control panel. In Windows, "Everybody" means "everybody on the list", not "everybody in the world".

And even with all of that, I think I'm missing one more crucial step. If you go into Help and search for AppleTalk, you'll find all the steps documented.

If you want to purchase Dave, that's a good solution for Mac OS 9 and older (X doesn't need it), but it's expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.