Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
I have a MacBook and a 30 GB iPod video. Obviously, the MacBook came with a wall charger but also an AC extension cord that plugs into a wall and then plugs back into the MacBook charger.

Like so:

MacBook_13inch_UsersGuide-3.jpg

However, I also have a USB wall charger for the iPod video. The thing can plug directly into an electrical outlet which then connects to the iPod via the USB/Dock connector cable.

That's fine and dandy. Now I want to know if I can remove the prong part of the iPod USB wall charger and connect it to the MacBook's AC extension cord to charge the iPod without damaging it.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
probably. The plug things are all the same size, but the power plug thing which goes into the power unit have different shapes. Some (like the iPod ones) are shapped like an 8, while others (like the ones on recent computers) are shaped like a B. You can put the iPod wall plugs into the computer power units, but you can't put the computer power extention cables into the iPod charger.

Hope this makes sense. Im really tired... lol

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You can only use the non-grounded 2m extension cords with the iPod chargers. The grounded ones are for after-market AC adapters and Airport Expresses. (If it helps, anything that can fit in your AC adapter will work, especially since all the transforming of the waveform in done in the brick.)

Good Luck,

TEG

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Scarlet Fever said:
The plug things are all the same size, but the power plug thing which goes into the power unit have different shapes. Some (like the iPod ones) are shapped like an 8, while others (like the ones on recent computers) are shaped like a B.
You're right about the 8-shaped and B-shaped thing.

The iPod brick won't fit on my extension because it needs to be B-shaped.

Oh well, it's a no go. Guess I'll charge it the normal way.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
So here's the question: if it's not possible, and there isn't anything out (to the best of my knowledge) that allows you to extend it, why did apple make the prongs removable?

I've always found those prongs to be such pieces of garbage.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Yeah, but I don't have one handy right now.

I'm leaving it as it is. I just wanted the extra reach but it's not that important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.