PDA

View Full Version : Ordering my first apple!!!!!

Wano
Mar 10, 2003, 12:39 PM
I am finally ordering my first apple computer. I will be using the ADC student discount to purchase it.
I have $2600 to spend on this computer that I will be using it for video editing and photoshop. I would like to have a laptop, but it's too much money for so little...or what do you guys think?
So this is what I am thinking of getting:
PowerMac dual 1.25Ghz G4 with Superdrive and 17"apple display.
Then I am gonna add 1gb ram, a 120gb hard drive with 8mb cache, and blue JBL creature speakers.

What about shipping....in the checkout for the Powermac and 17" display it says it will ship same day. Is this true even when using my ADC account?

patrick0brien
Mar 10, 2003, 01:17 PM
Too...jealous...head...exploding!

Tom Light
Mar 10, 2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Wano
What about shipping....in the checkout for the Powermac and 17" display it says it will ship same day. Is this true even when using my ADC account?

I think the account is probably irrelevant. You should get it on the same time interval, regardless of the purchase agreement.

As long as you don't make any config changes (adding memory, changing drive size, etc.), you probably can expect it to ship as promised. Any changes you make will likely extend the time-to-ship to at least 1-3 days.

My $0.02.

Tom

P.S., Congrats!

Bear
Mar 10, 2003, 01:20 PM

It might ship the same day or it could be a day or so delay while they verify your eligability for the discount. Also the later in the day you order, the less likely it will ship the same day.

Kwyjibo
Mar 10, 2003, 04:20 PM
I'm not a fan of the JBL creature speakers, they look ok but for the money I have a set of Monsoon PM-9s. They sound as good as my friends Klipsch and they look good too. I highly recommend you take a look.

http://www.monsoonaudio.com/index_mmedia.htm

scem0
Mar 10, 2003, 04:23 PM
There are so many people to be jelous of on these forums. :o

You're going to love that computer. Be sure to check dealmac (www.dealmac.com)
to make sure you're not getting ripped off. Dealmac is a great
site. Enjoy your powermac!

fleetwood
Mar 10, 2003, 04:51 PM
Definately buy the older 1.25.
It has 2MB per processor. It's much faster and worth not having firewire 800 thats found on the newer machines.

Ifeelbloated
Mar 10, 2003, 06:46 PM
Dude, unless you have deep pockets or travel a lot for work, get the desktop.

Les Kern
Mar 10, 2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Ifeelbloated
Dude, unless you have deep pockets or travel a lot for work, get the desktop.

Agreed there. I love my TiBook, but when I really want to knock out serious work, the G4 tower is it. I had a 17" Studio, but decided to go with a Sony 21" CRT. Some folks might frown, but the substantial increase in real estate has made even my real work enjoyable. Plus, it's under 600 bucks like the SS.
Good luck, welcome to Mac, and stop by if you need any help. There's LOTS of folks here that will be glad to help you.

b-smooth
Mar 10, 2003, 08:19 PM
Sacrifice those creature speakers and get the 20 inch lcd. The 17inch is soooo small because of hte lack of a wide screen. If you are going to get a nice DP computer like you are saying, either go with a 20. WIDESCREEN IS NOW! live in the now. And, do you really need 120gig hd? 80 is pretty big. you can always upgrade that cheaply later. Definitely spend the extra on the 20 inch screen.

Wano
Mar 10, 2003, 11:11 PM
I need the 120gb hard drive because this will be a vide editing workstation and it's only $140 for a western digital with 8mb cache. I wish I could but I can't afford the 20" display, but maybe I will upgrade later. Thanks....I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions!:D

physicsnerd
Mar 11, 2003, 12:53 AM
Have you checked out your school's bookstore to see if they have any deals? I only ask because often the school bookstores get better deals then you can get through ADC. Apple gives Schools really great deals when they buy in lots of 10 or more. For instance, I just bought a new 15.2" 1ghz powerbook, superdrive, 512mb, with apple care for $2038 (list $3,148.00). I got it through the UC Santa Cruz bookstore, and they often have deals like that on various models. I don't know how big of a lot they were buying the powerbooks in, but they couldn't keep the things in stock.

As for ship times, i was told 5 to 7 days but I recieved it less than 48 hours after ordering it.

physicsnerd

giovanni
Mar 11, 2003, 10:26 AM
wow, I am not sure about that - have you seen some tests ? I have seen the xbench results on their site and it does not look like at all that the old is "much" faster. But I believe it is a lot more expensive, at least when bought new.

My advice is watch those new PMs. Apple is having tons of problems with them (power supply and fans in particular, and sleep feature). Plenty of people had to return it the first day, including myself. Just test it extensively as soon as you get it, never turn it off (no sleep) for at least a couple of days and then test the sleep/wake up funtioning properly.

Other than that I love it, even though I am a bit concerned with Apple's quality control theses days. But when all is in order it is rock solid and very fast.

good luck,
gio

Wano
Mar 13, 2003, 10:12 PM
Ok, so I was about to order it tuesday night...but while I was signing up for the ADC membership I realized I have to send in a copy of my id and schedule which I can't do untill monday....big deal right!?! Well it shouldn't be, but in the last couple days I have been wondering if that is what I really want. What if the 970 would be released in powermacs...i would be kicking myself cause I could have spent the money on a better system. So, what should I do?
I have been thinking maybe I should get a iBook to hold myself over untill the 970s are released...or just get a Powerbook, which shouldn't be to outdated, then later sell it and get the 970.....this is a lot of cash I am spending, so I want to spend it right, this is a expensive decision.

Les Kern
Mar 14, 2003, 08:28 AM
I have been thinking maybe I should get a iBook to hold myself over untill the 970s are released...or just get a Powerbook, which shouldn't be to outdated, then later sell it and get the 970.....this is a lot of cash I am spending, so I want to spend it right, this is a expensive decision.

Hmmm... maybe look at it this way: First model year's are a risk, whereas proven technology, technology that fills your needs now might be a better way to go. I gave up chasing the power-curve a long time ago, because, well, you'll never catch it. Then I realized that the 400 TiBook I have is still an awesome machine. And when WILL the 970's be made? Maybe never? Maybe. That being said, I mentioned on an earlier post that Apple makes good stuff from the start. But if you're basing your decision simply on the 970, get one now and don't look back. That's my humble opinion.

Wano
Mar 17, 2003, 05:55 PM
I am starting to lean towards the 15" 1Ghz Powerbook. I think it will be fine for video editing and photoshop...plus it will be nice to take with me to sweden for the summers. Any advice or info before I buy it tomorrow? Thanks!