Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applerocks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Does anyone have instructions for getting Windows Vista installed on my mac if I don't have Windows XP installed (and I want to keep Mac OS X on my computer)?

Thanks,
applerocks

applerocks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Right. I have heard it is bad just like other versions of Windows (But some people have said it is good).

Either way, I still want to try it out and everything (I will still be using Mac OS X as my primary OS).

applerocks

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Just follow the instructions online but don't install XP. I done it 2 times on an iMac 20" and a MBP17". For some reason Vista doesnt have problems playing games like XP does. Im thinking of moving back to Vista.

applerocks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Thanks!

So, for example, I found these instructions...
-----------------
1) Install Bootcamp

2) Create XP Partition

3) Install XP completely and once it’s fully installed…

4) Reboot onto Vista DVD. To do this, insert the Vista Beta 2 DVD and then reboot holding down ‘the option key’, that’s the one with ‘alt’ on it. BTW, if you have issues ejecting the CD/DVD from within Windows, you can do that in the Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the CD drive and then selecting Eject or by holding down the mouse button when booting

5) When you need to select on which partition to install Vista, erase the EFI Partition (199mb). In my case this showed a 200MB partition before I deleted it and 199MB of free space after I deleted it. Also there is a 128MB unallocated space thing showing but you don’t have to be worried about that.

6) Formatted XP Partion and told Vista to install there

7) Reboot. And it should work fine. In my case it didn’t. What fixed it was rerunning the install but then instead of clicking on the big ‘Install Vista’ button, click on the Repair button. This will find the error in the boot record and fix it. After that, Vista boots just fine. Sweet
----------------------
After I install and use Boot Camp, I can just go onto #4 and reboot with a DVD with Vista installed?

Also, can you go into a little more detail on which partition I need to delete, if any? I don't want to delete the wrong one, but I have found conflicting reports.

applerocks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.