Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triotary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
can anyone tell me what is the difference between these two canon lenses other than the price and f/0.6 differences?

triotary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
lol I got this response from other photohraphy forum!

"one is a grenade, and the other is like a toilet paper roll."

...if any of you do not catch the joke... the f/1.2 one is uber heavy while the other is light weight :D

lucero1148

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
I've got a 1.2 and its a great lense for portraiture. especially if you prefer doing available light photos. Offers the ability to shoot backlight subjects without image degradation from lens flare and for overall image sharpness. that's where it shows its strengths.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The other thing that I have heard is that with any relatively fast lens, it may be a little spotty wide-open. But it's my impression that when it's stopped down, a faster lens will often be sharper at the same f/stop than a slower lens... like my 50/f1.4 will be sharper at f/2 than a 50/f1.8. But then there are things that the really wide open settings are good for in themselves. Although, in the case of that particular lens, it's so big and heavy... mmm... that those two things in themselves may dissuade a person from it unless they specifically need it. Also I've seen great work done with the 85/f1.8. :)

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I have the 85 f1.8 and am extremely pleased with it... it's a very sharp lens (I have noticed some purple fringe with it on rare occasions - but nothing I'd consider too problematic).

I've heard great things about the 85f1.2 as well. It would be a great purchase if money is no object, and you don't mind a slightly slower focus... but the low price of the f1.8 make it an amazing value in comparison.

I suggest reading these technical reviews if you haven't already:
Canon 85 f/1.8 test report | Canon 85 f/1.2 test report

Here's my favorite photo I've taken with the 85 f1.8 so far:
electric_bw.jpg

wilburdl

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
Well the difference comes down to features and with a lens there are a couple of features that you look for. The most obvious feature would have to be image quality. The 85 1.2 is one of the premier L lenses Canon has. The weight is noticeable. I have the 1.2 (not 1.8) so I can attest to this.

The speed is definitely not there and you can forget focusing in low-light. On the other-hand, The look of the image at 1.2 is phenominal. The plus side to this is that they've issued an update (version II) to address this problem specifically, of course, in doing so, they've raised the price even higher.

I'll post some samples later.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
wilburdl said:
Well the difference comes down to features and with a lens there are a couple of features that you look for. The most obvious feature would have to be image quality. The 85 1.2 is one of the premier L lenses Canon has. The weight is noticeable. I have the 1.2 (not 1.8) so I can attest to this.

The speed is definitely not there and you can forget focusing in low-light. On the other-hand, The look of the image at 1.2 is phenominal. The plus side to this is that they've issued an update (version II) to address this problem specifically, of course, in doing so, they've raised the price even higher.

I'll post some samples later.

I'm really looking forward to see your shots form this lens.

And for the OP, here is a great source to get reviews for Canon lens and other gear:

The Digital Picture

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Great shots wilburdl.

Do you have a website or any place we could see some more of your work?

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
People people, for the price of an 85mm 1.2 you could have

Canon 50mm 1.4 +
Canon 85mm 1.8 +
Sigma 30mm 1.4 +
$500

I certainly know which way I would go...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
jared_kipe said:

Canon 50mm 1.4 +
Canon 85mm 1.8 +
Sigma 30mm 1.4 +
$500

If you are shooting pro, a 1.2 may be justified. :)

wilburdl, I'm lovin' your site -- nice job!

wilburdl

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
jared_kipe said:

Canon 50mm 1.4 +
Canon 85mm 1.8 +
Sigma 30mm 1.4 +
$500

I have the 50 1.4 and it's optical quality isn't as good as the 1.2. That said, it's a lot easier for me to use when I'm shooting fashion as it isn't as sharp and is a hell of a lot faster focusing. There are different tools for different looks.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
jared_kipe said:

Canon 50mm 1.4 +
Canon 85mm 1.8 +
Sigma 30mm 1.4 +
$500

I think everyone on this forum already knows which way you would go with out posting anything. : )

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
The f/1.2L is amazing. But for around $350, the f/1.8 is really hard to beat. If you've got the cash, definitely go for the f/1.2.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
wilburdl said:
I have the 50 1.4 and it's optical quality isn't as good as the 1.2. That said, it's a lot easier for me to use when I'm shooting fashion as it isn't as sharp and is a hell of a lot faster focusing. There are different tools for different looks.
From what I've seen the 85mm 1.2 and 1.8 are very similar at 1.8, the 1.8 version being slightly behind in the corners. And they both have very similar performance near their peak at f4. The 1.8 is just a little lower in the corners at 1.8 and 2.8 which is no so necessary for the kind of portraits on your site.

That combined with the slower focusing speed of the 1.2 makes me seriously question the price difference for that 1 stop of light. Even for a pro. But the 1.2 is a very serious looking lens.

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_85_18/index.htm
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_85_12/index.htm

wilburdl

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
carltonmusic said:
wilburdl, I'm lovin' your site -- nice job!
Thanks. It's due for an update.

mcarnes said:
Quote: Originally Posted by carletonmusic If you are shooting pro, a 1.2 may be justified.

If you're a shooting pro the 1.8 is more justified because pro photographers make so little money.

:rolleyes: I'm :cool:

jared_kipe said:
From what I've seen the 85mm 1.2 and 1.8 are very similar at 1.8, the 1.8 version being slightly behind in the corners. And they both have very similar performance near their peak at f4. The 1.8 is just a little lower in the corners at 1.8 and 2.8 which is no so necessary for the kind of portraits on your site.

That combined with the slower focusing speed of the 1.2 makes me seriously question the price difference for that 1 stop of light. Even for a pro. But the 1.2 is a very serious looking lens.

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_85_18/index.htm
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_85_12/index.htm

It's fun. It's 1.2 that makes it special. The look of the blurred areas are different. The images it produces at that aperature has a medium format look to them.
The difference would depend on the resolution of the camera, the higher the resolution the more apparent the difference in image quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.