Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sonic Solutions announced that the newest version of Toast 7 will incorporate Blu-Ray support for the Mac.

This represents the first Blu-Ray support for Macs. With the new format, users will be able to store as much as 50GB of data per disc. The first supported Blu-Ray drives will be shipping later this quarter.

Toast's Blu-ray Disc features include Toast Dynamic Writing, which for the first time enables users to record files simply by dragging and dropping files onto a disc in the same convenient way they would move or copy files to a removable storage device. The ability to store as much as 50 GB of data makes Toast an ideal solution for archiving extensive digital music collections or protecting critical files and precious memories too large to fit on a standard DVD. In addition to its Blu-ray capabilities, Toast 7 is now also a universal application that runs natively on both Intel-based and PowerPC-based systems.

Little information about Apple's adoption of Blu-ray has been released. Analysts speculate that the Mac Pro (Intel PowerMac) will be the first to incorporate the new drives, but not for a number of months.

Available rumors about the upcoming Mac Pro expect a traditional DVD-R SuperDrive, but the new machines are said to offer an empty optical drive slot for future expansion.

The Mac Pro is expected to be announced on August 7th, 2006 at WWDC 2006.

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
The cost of this equipment will have to come down substantially before i even think about adopting it, i am not going to pay $50 for a disc and $1500 for burner, a quarter of that and i may be able to stomach it. I have encoded all my DVDs and put them on my mediagate player, when these become cheaper i can actually back them up:eek:

p.s I am in australia hence the price points

enda1

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2006
Ireland
Deadly!!

Wonder what price they will be by christmas (i bloody hate the term 'the holiday season'!!) anyone any thoughts?

New toast sounds tasty also. Drag and drop will be nice. I hate the procedure involved in burning discs.

Though this will I'm sure require some little toast prog to run in the backround, which is one of my big windows hates!!
Embed that feature in leopard I say.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Toast 7.0.2 Rules But 7.1 Crashes All The Time, So They Need To Fix That

enda1 said:
Deadly!!

Wonder what price they will be by christmas (i bloody hate the term 'the holiday season'!!) anyone any thoughts?

New toast sounds tasty also. Drag and drop will be nice. I hate the procedure involved in burning discs.

Though this will I'm sure require some little toast prog to run in the backround, which is one of my big windows hates!!
Embed that feature in leopard I say.
I run multiple copies of Toast 7 simultaneously daily on the Quad. It's drag and drop feature is great and the custom encode parameters make fitting anything on one single layer disc a snap. When encoding HD Video from EyeTV2 digital broadcast recordings it can use up to about 2.5 cores at once.

However after running 7.1 a few days, I had to revert to 7.0.2 as 7.1 crashes way too often. :(

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Wow!

Apple, please, put Blu-ray drives in Macs! At least as an option.

We need them for handy backups of audio, images and video taking lots of GB.

PimpGGG

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
ok i have a powerbook g4...how will i be able to get this in here..will i have to buy an external one that i plug in this or take my drive out and put that in?

yac_moda

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2002
Is Blue-ray going to support the tech that etches the disk lable/graphics with the disk burner laser :confused:

rxse7en

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I hope this means we will see HDMI out on the next MacBook Pros. I really want to be able to use my soon-to-be-had MacBook Pro Core2Duo as a media center too. With that said, here's to hoping the new MBPs have HDMI and the ability to output Dolby PLII and at least 1080i. My current 1.25ghz G4 book chokes on 720p so I never hook it up to my plasma HDTV.

B

Added:
I'm still not convinced that Blu Ray is going to beat out HD-DVD.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Apple supports both Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

In fact HD-DVD support has been in DVD Player for a while now, and DVD Studio Pro supports HD-DVD projects, but not Blu-ray.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Get an EyeTV 500 Digital Broadcast/Cable Recorder For Your Old G4s

rxse7en said:
I hope this means we will see HDMI out on the next MacBook Pros. I really want to be able to use my soon-to-be-had MacBook Pro Core2Duo as a media center too. With that said, here's to hoping the new MBPs have HDMI and the ability to output Dolby PLII and at least 1080i. My current 1.25ghz G4 book chokes on 720p so I never hook it up to my plasma HDTV.
Added:
I'm still not convinced that Blu Ray is going to beat out HD-DVD.
Man you need EyeTV2 with an EyeTV 500 Digital Broadcast reccorder. You don't need no stinkin HDMI and it plays beautiful 1080p on any 24" Apple or Dell Display from your 1.25GHz G4 without choking at all.

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
great, now Toast can concentrate on compatibility issues on the DVD-R side... i've had nothing but problems with my Plextor 716A (DL) and I can't burn higher than 2x without underrun errors on either my new MBP or the Plextor. Different media hasn't helped.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Since more people have Intel based Macs, than Macs with Blu-ray burners built in, it would be nice if maybe they prioritized on a Universal version instead...

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
WildPalms said:
Actually, its Blu-Ray AS WELL AS, not in place of HD-DVD. Both formats will be supported.

Maybe the software, but the drive itself may be only compatible with Blu-Ray rather than HD-DVD. Different wavelenghts and all. Could be wrong though, I just think that Apple might let you REAd HD-DVD, just not write....

Cheers

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mmmcheese said:
Since more people have Intel based Macs, than Macs with Blu-ray burners built in, it would be nice if maybe they prioritized on a Universal version instead...

There is already a universal version.

Mac Rules said:
Maybe the software, but the drive itself may be only compatible with Blu-Ray rather than HD-DVD.

The original poster is talking about support in general. The original summary incorrectly states that Apple is preferring Blu-Ray over HD-DVD, when in reality they're in both camps.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Multimedia said:
Man you need EyeTV2 with an EyeTV 500 Digital Broadcast reccorder. You don't need no stinkin HDMI and it plays beautiful 1080p on any 24" Apple or Dell Display from your 1.25GHz G4 without choking at all.

Ooo that sounds nice... have to look in to that...

yac_moda

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2002
TALK ABOUT PRE-ANNOUNCING :confused: :eek: :confused:

Remember when SJ said we support BR ?!?!?!!?

From someone who SWORE NO pre-announcements :eek: :eek:

And still no BlueRay from Apple :eek: :eek: :eek:

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Word is that this is a really really basic functionality intended for data and not meant to be any kind of HD video type of software.
This is however the first step to getting HD discs authored on the Mac.
Right now the only real HD authoring options each cost over $50,000 so if Apple is planning on getting an HD version of DVD Studio pro this would be a start in the right direction.

MikeT

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2005
At this point, I couldn't really care less about Blu Ray or HD-DVD. I'd be more excited if Apple included Lightscribe or equivalent capability in their drives. Unlabeled discs are piled high on my desk.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
yac_moda said:
TALK ABOUT PRE-ANNOUNCING :confused: :eek: :confused:

Remember when SJ said we support BR ?!?!?!!?

From someone who SWORE NO pre-announcements :eek: :eek:

And still no BlueRay from Apple :eek: :eek: :eek:

Uh, genius, Apple doesn't make Blu-ray. Apple has to wait for Sony & Co to release Blu-ray drives, which we all knew would be in late 2006.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
rxse7en said:
I hope this means we will see HDMI out on the next MacBook Pros.

HDMI is a video/audio output standard that combines DVI video and optical out audio.
Sound familiar?
Yes, the MacBook Pro has both DVI out and optical audio out ports. Use a DVI to HDMI cable and a optical audio cable, and there is no need to have a dedicated HDMI output. In fact, as the MacBook Pro has a dual-link DVI port, it has the ability to power more than 1080p. Combine this with the included Apple Remote for Front Row, and you have yourself a (somewhat expensive) media center (with an unnecessary screen?;) ).

irmongoose

Greenjeens

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2005
California
MikeT said:
At this point, I couldn't really care less about Blu Ray or HD-DVD. I'd be more excited if Apple included Lightscribe or equivalent capability in their drives. Unlabeled discs are piled high on my desk.

Get a $100 inkjet cd/dvd printer. I use the Epson R320 (has a few more bells and whistles). You can Google images and print just about any kind of image on your discs. They look GREAT!
Generic ink is about $15 for a complete set! Doesn't look the best for photos but works fine for labels.

http://www.supermediastore.com/epson-stylus-photo-r220-inkjet-cd-printer.html

http://www.supermediastore.com/what-is-thermal-inkjet-printing-how-to-print-dvd.html

-
Dave

Fabio_gsilva

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2005
São Paulo - Brasil
Greenjeens said:
Get a $100 inkjet cd/dvd printer. I use the Epson R320 (has a few more bells and whistles). You can Google images and print just about any kind of image on your discs. They look GREAT!
Generic ink is about $15 for a complete set! Doesn't look the best for photos but works fine for labels.

http://www.supermediastore.com/epson-stylus-photo-r220-inkjet-cd-printer.html

http://www.supermediastore.com/what-is-thermal-inkjet-printing-how-to-print-dvd.html

-
Dave

I have a R200 and made a bulk-in to save some money on ink... but i'm not so much satisfied... original ink looks better anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.