Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
i have an old ibook from 2001, the dual usb model, which i came up on recently and am looking to try and sell it on ebay. the problem is, when you start it up, the folder icon with a question mark comes up. i know this means i need to reinstall the OS, but i dont have any install cds. i dont know the specs and without an OS, i dont see how i could find out whats inside of it. i thought about just trying to sell it and state i dont know any specs, but wont that cut my profits in half? i welcome any helpful suggestions and thanks in advance

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Go to "apple-history.com" It has all the specs of practically every Mac ever built. This way you can at least post the specs on ebay.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
i know of that site, but i dont know what variation my ibook is, they make more than one set of specifications

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Well only two models were released in 2001 according to the site (more than two configurations of course) If you honestly don't know any of the specs, try booting to open firmware. On my mac it tells me the date it was built and the model number. Or you could look up the serial number on the ibook (my ibook has the model number written right on the bottom) That will only work obviously if you can find a number. If you do find one, either call apple or look it up. Anyone else have any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.