Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burger011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
I bought my first iMac way back in November 2001...and yes it's already outdated but I still enjoy it very much.

Anyway, I would like to get a "how to book" for apple. With in the first few weeks, it was clear sailing but now I would like to go beyond the basic operating knowledge of using Apple products.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS:

1) I use IE, Omni Web and Netscape...how do I clear out cache, history and anything else the internet decides to leave on my computer. I would like to be able to use the internet and not have website "tracks" saved on my HD.

2) Can anyone comment on defragmenting and basic up keep with the iMac.

Thanks for the info

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
books...

the "Macs for Dummies" books are always really good for beginners....but I'm assuming u are past that point...

I have a book called "How the Mac Works" by K. Daniel Clark that goes much deeper into the systems....it's very helpful to gain a better understanding of not just the OS, but how the machines themselves work...

here's a link to the book on amazon.com:
How the Mac Works

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Since you're using Omniweb...

...I assume you're using OSX (did they release a 9 version of it?). I have yet to hear of a good defrag/repair tool for OSX. I want one.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Read this book!

If you're running OS X, you absolutely have to read "The Missing Manual for Mac OS X" by David Pogue. I am a new Mac convert (well, I will be as soon as my iMac arrives :)). I literally read this manual cover-to-cover (all 500+ pages of it) - it does a good job of getting new users up to speed and offering advanced tips for, well, advanced users. Highly recommended.

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Re: Read this book!

Originally posted by cleo
If you're running OS X, you absolutely have to read "The Missing Manual for Mac OS X" by David Pogue. I am a new Mac convert (well, I will be as soon as my iMac arrives :)). I literally read this manual cover-to-cover (all 500+ pages of it) - it does a good job of getting new users up to speed and offering advanced tips for, well, advanced users. Highly recommended.

Hey! I did exactly the same thing!

I also just now got the "Mac OS X Unleashed" book from SAMS publishing.

I am typing this on my new iMac (800Mhz) and I read through the entire Missing Manual before I ever got my iMac.

But if you don't have OS X, I don't know what to recommend. The iMac hardware itself doesn't have too much that you need to learn, it's the OS and how to use it that is covered in this book, "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual"

Take care,
Quark

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Re: Re: Read this book!

Originally posted by Quark

I am typing this on my new iMac (800Mhz)

::jealous::

today is four weeks for me, so i'm quite confident that mine will ship/arrive this week... but still, it gets harder every day!

voicegy

macrumors 65816
suggestions

"The Little iMac Book" by Robin Williams. She has been writing how-to books about the Mac for years and is a breeze to read, funny, and full of very useful information.

Can't recommend Pogue's "Missing Manual" series of books enough! All great books.

As for general computer health, get thee a copy of Norton Utilities. Tech Tool Pro is also good to have on the shelf.

And the simplest thing you can do for good health is to rebuild that desktop once a month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.