PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 on Craigslist

c84216
Jul 27, 2006, 12:35 AM
Okay, after the advice I got on this forum, I decided to go ahead and sell my PowerBook on Craigslist.

I know this isn't the most proper forum for this thread, but there really isn't a better place.

I have two questions:

1) Should I wipe my hard drive before or after I sell the machine? Should prospctive buyers use the computer as is so I can still use it until its sold, or should I back everything up to DVD and wipe my drive so I can demo a clean machine to prospective buyers?

2) What program wipes the hard drive so data is irrecoverable? I know this is advised for transferances of computers and have no idea which program to begin with.

Thanks for your help!

xfiftyfour
Jul 27, 2006, 12:39 AM
I don't know about #2, but for #1, I'd probably have prospective buyers just preview the computer as is. I mean, who knows how long it might take for you to sell your laptop, so I'd want to be able to use it fully in the meantime. Plus, prospective buyers are really only going to be concerned with if it works, what condition it's in, and verifying the specs. I doubt anyone would throw a fuss because it's not the "out-of-the-box" configuration, as long as when they actually received the PB, it had a clean install.

neocell
Jul 27, 2006, 12:43 AM
Disk Utility, in the Utilities Folder will give you various options on how to erase/overwrite your HD, depending on your level of paranoia.
I believe you'll have to boot from a system disc or an external HD in order to do this though.

CorvusCamenarum
Jul 27, 2006, 01:22 AM
As question #2 has already been answered, so I'll offer my opinion regarding #1. If you're really concerned about any sensitive information, just make a dummy account you can use to demonstrate the machine works as advertised and whatnot, then do a backup and completely erase the HD before your buyer takes delivery.

jaduffy108
Jul 27, 2006, 02:39 AM
Okay, after the advice I got on this forum, I decided to go ahead and sell my PowerBook on Craigslist.

I know this isn't the most proper forum for this thread, but there really isn't a better place.

I have two questions:

1) Should I wipe my hard drive before or after I sell the machine? Should prospctive buyers use the computer as is so I can still use it until its sold, or should I back everything up to DVD and wipe my drive so I can demo a clean machine to prospective buyers?

2) What program wipes the hard drive so data is irrecoverable? I know this is advised for transferances of computers and have no idea which program to begin with.

Thanks for your help!

### Hi. *I* would use Backup Simplicity to back everything up...then use Disk Utility to blow everything away. This is..after...you have a commited buyer. Good luck...