Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
First, no word is given it is indeed for Apple. But second, a new motherboard sporting hypertransport or pci-x or whatever would make smaller motherboards possible.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Hey.... About this enclosure thingie. Let's start an APPLE PDA rumor!

(slaps forehead, causing self to fall backwards in chair. skull splits open on floor.)

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
hmmm.. i know exactly what the enclosure thing is.. but i can't tell you guys

let's just say it's not quite as exciting as what a lot of people are thinking.. don't want you guys to get your hopes up too high!

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Yeah, Nick. Don't wag the carrot to lead the horse. The horse might get pissed and throw your ass into a ditch. 'Fess up, boy!

:D

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Taking the rumors as they come:

1) 5' Firewire (400 or 800? check the connector being put on the end ...)/USB (1.x?2.0? can't know cause the cable's the same!) cable ... This sounds odd, and at first glance like a pretty stupid idea for Apple as most devices use one or the other, not both. Might be a smart idea for things like video cams that use FW for transfering video and (oddly IMHO) USB for transfering "still pictures". But that's pretty much the entire realm of devices that use both connections potentially simultaneously, which IMHO leaves this as a responsibility of the device maker, not the computer maker. Especially as the rumor says the "other" end of this consists of PCB-board leads, not FW/USB connectors ... Just sounds really odd. One possibility would be a monitor with FW/USB hubs built in which will connect to non-ADC (standard RGB or DVI) devices ... as nice as ADC is, no one else is using it and it's an annoying incompatibility point, so this might be a rethinking ... or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

2) I still question if these two new motherboards are really for PowerMacs as originally posted. "larger, longer, narrower" might still fit in the PM case, or it could be designed for the larger XServe case (not sure how the current MB's compare). Good that we have "confirmation" that one is for single-proc and one for dual-proc.

3) The 5"x7" enclosure has an opening on one face. Seems odd that this wasn't mentioned before (as details like a sliding door for a port bay were mentioned), but interesting nonetheless. It's quite a broad array of possibilities for this device (from a Waccom tablet input device type of thing to a new-market-segment iPod big brother to a tablet PC idea to a photo display device to a remote control to ... whatever)

4) "Very large" LCD panel ... high resolution, but not QUXGA (3840x2400) resolution ... can we expect higher or lower pixel density? The 22" QUXGA flat panel display runs arouns $9500 direct, and Apple's not known for market-leading pricing on their LCDs, so I'd expect a similarly dense flat panel which is "very large" (presumably larger than the current 23"?) would be quite expensive. If "very large" is in comparison to 17" displays, and Apple is thinking of introducing new 19" (hardly "very large") or 21-22" panel with ultra-dense resolution, one would have to wonder about product placement (and kiss the newly-cheap 20" and 23" panels goodbye?) I think that the Apple line of LCDs is fairly complete right now, except perhaps for an "across the room" sized low-density device (ie, a HDTV monitor, 40" diagonal range ...) But then, LCD monitors aren't the most interesting thing to me (I have problems with color fidelity across the field of view that still haven't been addressed by current technology, so I'm not looking to replace my Trinitron with a four-times-as-expensive LCD any time soon), so my opinion here is probably not the most important one.

Overall, I still question how strong the links to Apple really are here. Are these just devices that are being manufactured at plants where Apple has also manufactured devices, or is there a more concrete link with Apple itself? Might be something Jack himself can't even answer .. I mean, you ask a factory worker "You doing any neat stuff for Apple?" and you are fairly likely to get an account of the neatest thing the guy has seen, with the "Apple" connection a bit more exagerated than the actual facts would support. I mean, I did temp work in a Bose factory once, and every neat new gadget Bose announced had at least 1000 parts attributed to it by various assembly lines, when in actuality maybe one out of ten of those parts actually went into the neat new device (I mean, a stereo with four speaker cones likely doesn't use ten different speaker cones from different lines :) ) while the rest went into more mundane applications. Unless you're talking to someone with a fairly complete first-hand "big picture" (which is generally the kind of person that is either fired or no longer contracted with when they talk about such things), factory-floor speculation is often less reliable than a wholesale blind guess.

Which, of course, is probably why we're reading this on Page 2.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: The 5x7x1" enclosure...

Originally posted by ncbill
An iPod docking station for the home stereo?

Nah, too big for the iPod to fit in, and too small for the home stereo to fit in ... Unless it had its own hard drive et al ... and even then, with one side being "mostly" open, the hole's just not the right size for a slim, trim iPod to do anything but get lost in.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by jettredmont
Overall, I still question how strong the links to Apple really are here. Are these just devices that are being manufactured at plants where Apple has also manufactured devices, or is there a more concrete link with Apple itself?

This supply-side information that Macwhispers provides is really interesting and I enjoy reading it, but I wonder the same thing.

The other thing I wonder about the Macwhispers stuff is -- if it is accurate -- how long Apple will let its suppliers blab so carelessly about what they're building for Apple. Knowing Apple's attitude toward its own intellectual property, I'd expect them to come down like a hammer on suppliers who spill the beans like this. (It's not like it would be a mystery to Apple which suppliers are talking.)

theFly

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2003
A Window Sill in Cupertino
Originally posted by jettredmont
1) 5' Firewire (400 or 800? check the connector being put on the end ...)/USB (1.x?2.0? can't know cause the cable's the same!) cable ... This sounds odd, and at first glance like a pretty stupid idea for Apple as most devices use one or the other, not both. Might be a smart idea for things like video cams that use FW for transfering video and (oddly IMHO) USB for transfering "still pictures". But that's pretty much the entire realm of devices that use both connections potentially simultaneously, which IMHO leaves this as a responsibility of the device maker, not the computer maker. Especially as the rumor says the "other" end of this consists of PCB-board leads, not FW/USB connectors ... Just sounds really odd. One possibility would be a monitor with FW/USB hubs built in which will connect to non-ADC (standard RGB or DVI) devices ... as nice as ADC is, no one else is using it and it's an annoying incompatibility point, so this might be a rethinking ... or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

It's been mentioned in another forum site that what makes most sense for this cable is a keyboard that has both USB and Firewire connections. Saves Apple from mucking up their designs with front connectors, if you think about it.

theFly

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by MacBandit
This could very well be for the G4 7457s.

Once again: The 7457 is pin-compatible with the current 7455. No motherboard change is required.

As for the "one entire face", it might be an end face. As for an external superdrive, or an iPod dock, or something like that. (That 5' cable could be for this thingie too.)

MikeMo

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2003
Has everyone ruled out the possibility of an Apple TiVo? It seems to me that a 5x7x1 form factor would be just about right, and a combination usb/firewire cable would be just right, too. USB to control the box from your Mac, firewire to transfer the video to/from the Mac.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Hurl insults all ya want. I won't see 'em here -- I'm unsubscribing from this thread, and all other iPod threads... for now.

(in best superhero voice:)
Just... can't.. take it... any....<gasp>... longer!

Over and out,

mangoman

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by MikeMo
Has everyone ruled out the possibility of an Apple TiVo? It seems to me that a 5x7x1 form factor would be just about right, and a combination usb/firewire cable would be just right, too. USB to control the box from your Mac, firewire to transfer the video to/from the Mac.

In my oppinion the form factor is too small. Also there would be no advantage of using such a small size since Tivos tend to produce a lot of heat due to constant drive running and processing. Also something of that size would not fit the form factor of any entertainment center.

5x7x1 sounds to me like a subnotebook. Maybe someone hasn't notice the hinges yet. That would explain a slot all the way down one side.

MikeMo

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2003
In my oppinion the form factor is too small. Also there would be no advantage of using such a small size since Tivos tend to produce a lot of heat due to constant drive running and processing. Also something of that size would not fit the form factor of any entertainment center.

But what if the hard drive is in the Mac? You'd get less heat, a cheaper system (saves the drive and electronics), and ties it tightly to the Mac. That's why you have the firewire.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by mangoman
Hurl insults all ya want. I won't see 'em here -- I'm unsubscribing from this thread, and all other iPod threads... for now.

(in best superhero voice:)
Just... can't.. take it... any....<gasp>... longer!

Over and out,

mangoman

Did I miss something here, or are you posting in the wrong thread? You asked whether we'd heard about "matte-black MangoPods", or something like that -- to which bait nobody rose -- and then say you are unsubscribing from this thread. This isn't (or wasn't) an iPod thread...:confused:

Are you alleging that this rather large box (about the size of a VCR tape) is a MangoPod? Oh sorry, a PangoPod.

Escher

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2001
Dakar, Senegal
5x7x1 sounds to me like a subnotebook. Maybe someone hasn't notice the hinges yet. That would explain a slot all the way down one side.

Oooh! A subnotebook. Me likey! I love my iBook/500. I like the 12-inch PowerBook even more. But they're both still too big to accompany me everywhere. A 5x7x1 sub-PowerBook would rock my world.

Escher

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002

Hmm... A notebook or subnotebook is made of two separate plastic enclosures, linked by a hinge. Unless this is a radically new design, it would make no sense for the same enclosure to include both the screen and all of the ports. These would be on separately fabricated parts of the casing.

Unless, of course, it is a tablet design ....

boobers

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
tablet of this size makes me drool

i got a nice big bucket of drool here and it has Steve Jobs written all over it. Steve? you want my drool? I'll trade it for a nice tablet or sub notebook..something that i can watch the osbournes on while i am at the gym on the treadmill.
Is that a fair trade?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.