Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaizer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Malaysia
Hello fellow Mac users!

I get to know that there's a USB version of a WiFi card. Can Mac uses it? Is it just plug and play or do I need drivers?

Specifically a iBook 700 with OSX.2.4.

Thank you.

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
Just use an AirPort card if you want wireless networking, It would be cheaper and more effective due to the built in Antenna in the iBook.

Or do you mean BlueTooth? In that case buy a BlueTooth USB adaptor from http://www.apple.com/store, this only works in 10.2 or greater.

kaizer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Malaysia
Originally posted by awulf
Just use an AirPort card if you want wireless networking, It would be cheaper and more effective due to the built in Antenna in the iBook.

Or do you mean BlueTooth? In that case buy a BlueTooth USB adaptor from http://www.apple.com/store, this only works in 10.2 or greater.

No, I mean a WiFi USB adapter. I'm thinking of making a cantenna out of it. Airport's located internally, kinda hard to attached a wire onto it?

I'm wondering if there's any driver need for it. There's no point in hacking up the thing only to find out later it can't work on my machine..

:) :) :) :) :) :)

AntoineG

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2003
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Originally posted by kaizer
No, I mean a WiFi USB adapter. I'm thinking of making a cantenna out of it. Airport's located internally, kinda hard to attached a wire onto it?

I'm wondering if there's any driver need for it. There's no point in hacking up the thing only to find out later it can't work on my machine..

:) :) :) :) :) :)

But WiFi = Airport, it's just different name...

Antoine

eMac 800
G3 beige 233

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
The iBook has the best WiFi reception out of all the laptops, so you don't need a better arial. USB WiFi devices do not have a place to stick an antenna to.

Increase your reception add an antenna to the base station.

AirPort = 802.11b
AirPort Extreme = 802.11g

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Yes there is one, and it comes with drivers. A client of mine bought it for his Orignial iMac. He found it by searching through pricewatch.com. I believe is was made by either Orange Micro or Smith Micro. Nice thing. About the Cantenna thing, you can buy an "thingy" to hook between the Card and the internal antenna, and then run it out the side of the iBook through a side vent. I'm thinking about the cantenna thing with my TiBook, and fortunately, I can use the PC-Card Slot to lead the antennal lead out of the machine. I'd just like to be able to buy one already made, ready to go, just Plug-n-Play.

New Product idea.... iCan - Antenna Extender for Airport and Airport Extreme Enabled Macs.

kaizer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Malaysia
Originally posted by TEG
Yes there is one, and it comes with drivers. A client of mine bought it for his Orignial iMac. He found it by searching through pricewatch.com. I believe is was made by either Orange Micro or Smith Micro. Nice thing. About the Cantenna thing, you can buy an "thingy" to hook between the Card and the internal antenna, and then run it out the side of the iBook through a side vent. I'm thinking about the cantenna thing with my TiBook, and fortunately, I can use the PC-Card Slot to lead the antennal lead out of the machine. I'd just like to be able to buy one already made, ready to go, just Plug-n-Play.

New Product idea.... iCan - Antenna Extender for Airport and Airport Extreme Enabled Macs.

Okay, will do a search for Orange/Smith Micro. About the 'thingy' you mentioned. Any more info or links?

A big thank you for everyone that replies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.