PDA

View Full Version : 14" iBook - > 12" Powerbook?

sixstorm
Jul 27, 2006, 12:30 PM
Hello all. I guess I can start on my story when I bought my 14" iBook about a year and a half ago. Basically, this was going to be my first Mac and I had the choice between a 12" Powerbook and a 14" iBook. Stupid me went ahead and bought the 14" iBook just because it had a bigger screen. :rolleyes: Not saying that I don't love it, but I'd just think I would've enjoyed the 12" PB more.

I'm a college student and use the crap outta my iBook during school semesters. So here is my question. Is it possible to sell my iBook in order to get a 12"Powerbook and would it be worth it? I think it would be worth it just because it's smaller, lighter and has a little bit better hardware in it. Also, where are some good places to find new/slightly used 12" PBs for sale besides the marketplace? Finally, how much do you guys think my iBook is worth?

14" 1.33GHz G4 iBook
768MB RAM
60GB HDD
Slight scratches in the top
Almost year and a half old (bought in March 05)
iSight Camera
Brenthaven Bag
Notebook Mouse

Thanks for your help guys.

baby duck monge
Jul 27, 2006, 12:38 PM
Yes, you can sell your iBook to get a PowerBook, but I wouldn't expect to be able to cover the cost of the new PowerBook or anything with your sale.

Having used both a 12" iBook and a 15" PowerBook, I will say that carrying around the smaller notebook is definitely a plus at school, and that you will probably be happy with your upgrade!

As for the value of your current machine... I wouldn't expect it to fetch more than $600 around here, but you could probably get more than that with a fancy ad on eBay. Of course, then you have to deal with the fees and scammers. :(

Lau
Jul 27, 2006, 12:44 PM
If you find a 12" PB is going to be too expensive, if I were you I'd sell it and get the newest 12" iBook G4, which will perform as well as your 14" but with the added portability. :)

sixstorm
Jul 27, 2006, 01:33 PM
I had looked at the refurbished ones off of Apple.com and they are still expensive ($1,199.99). I just thought it would be cool to have something smaller and lighter to carry around. eBay has never had any great deals so I'm still stuck on that one. Anywhere else I could look for some good deals?

Caitlyn
Jul 27, 2006, 03:31 PM
Maybe get a 13" MacBook.

sixstorm
Jul 27, 2006, 03:34 PM
Maybe get a 13" MacBook.

I wouldnt mind that but I'd rather have the aluminum finish and a G4 for my portable. I like the Intel's but OSX isn't fully optimized yet, I'm seeing that in my new iMac. I've just always liked the 12" PB.

Noone has any sites for some good deals? The best I've seen around is $1,199.99 at Apple's refurbished store, yikes.

erikamsterdam
Jul 27, 2006, 03:43 PM
I think investing in a G4 is very unwise now. Once everything is optimised for Intel, half a year down the road or so, the prices of G4's are going to tank I think.
Maybe if you want the 12" so bad you should wait a bit, they'll be way cheaper then.
The 13" MB has a lot more resolution and a way better/brighter screen than the 12" Powerbook. If I were you I'd just wait a bit until the apps you need are all universal and then buy a 13" Macbook.

sixstorm
Jul 27, 2006, 04:25 PM
I think investing in a G4 is very unwise now. Once everything is optimised for Intel, half a year down the road or so, the prices of G4's are going to tank I think.
Maybe if you want the 12" so bad you should wait a bit, they'll be way cheaper then.
The 13" MB has a lot more resolution and a way better/brighter screen than the 12" Powerbook. If I were you I'd just wait a bit until the apps you need are all universal and then buy a 13" Macbook.

That's very true. I was hoping they would announce a 12" MBP but I haven't heard anything about that. Oh well. I guess I can just stick with my iBook for the moment and see what happens a little down the road (after Leopard comes out).

Mord
Jul 27, 2006, 04:28 PM
the plastic on the macbooks is near identical in function to the aluminium of the powerbooks/MBP just stronger.

TWLreal
Jul 29, 2006, 02:54 PM
There is absolutely no reason and no place in the market for Apple to release a 12" Pro notebook.

What is out right now is all there will be.

Mord
Jul 29, 2006, 03:00 PM
i and many others would very much love a 12" MBP, i'd sell my MB in a second for one.

TWLreal
Jul 29, 2006, 03:20 PM
Obviously.

I would have loved an updated 12" Pro machine. But as I have said, it just doesn't make sense for Apple to release one.

nitynate
Jul 29, 2006, 10:41 PM
PowerBook > iBook

Duh.

California
Jul 29, 2006, 11:22 PM
New 12" ibooks are 699 at my university store.