PDA

View Full Version : 1984...2004 - Superbowl Ad?

MacRumors
Mar 11, 2003, 08:01 AM
LoopRumors claims (http://www.looprumors.com/) that Apple is already working on a 2004 Superbowl commercial with thei ad adency -- Chiat Day.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 11, 2003, 08:11 AM
I'm thinking that they have a very tough job coming up with something that would be as impactful as the 1984 ad. Can't even imagine what they'd use as a theme, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the design concept meetings. :D

D

moosecat
Mar 11, 2003, 08:23 AM
If true, they must have a monumental product introduction in mind. The 1984 ad counts as possibly the most well-known product introduction in media history. Apple would be shamed into oblivion if they launched another Super Bowl ad without a similarly "revolutionary" product.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 11, 2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by moosecat
If true, they must have a monumental product introduction in mind. The 1984 ad counts as possibly the most well-known product introduction in media history. Apple would be shamed into oblivion if they launched another Super Bowl ad without a similarly "revolutionary" product.

And that's the other side of the coin. What could they be advertising - it would have to be huge - and if we're already hearing rumors about the 970 at WWDC, well, that rules that one out.

I wonder if the SuperBowl dates for 04 are near MWSF.......

D

yzedf
Mar 11, 2003, 08:55 AM
There is no way that the 2004 ad could have the impact of 1984.

Don't forget the story by the name of 1984...

http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/

Some bookworm types find the 1984 Macintosh ad to be a bit plagiaristic! :rolleyes: But that is for another thread altogether...

jethroted
Mar 11, 2003, 09:02 AM
I know I'm going out on a limb here. Maybe the Power 5? :confused: If they intoduce the 970 in the summer, they could bring in the power 5 for super high end systems in Jan. Who knows.

CheekyGit
Mar 11, 2003, 09:16 AM
Maybe they will annouce that the 17" PowerBooks are finally shipping... J/K.

I do hope the announcement will be the 970. Still, that's a long time to wait. Oh well, I'm patient.

CheekyGit :D

timbloom
Mar 11, 2003, 09:43 AM
I really don't think they need to introduce a new product with everything apple does. They don't even need to "out-do" the 1984. But basically make a good, moving commercial that shows where Apple has been the last 20 years. Basically a commercial to advertise Apple as a company.. No need to advertise a single product.

TEG
Mar 11, 2003, 09:49 AM
1) The First 64-Bit Laptop. The Power Book Advanced.

2) The First Consumer 3-D Displays.

3) Mac OS XI (Pronounced Zai), The Stability of Unix, the Usibility of Mac OS, and capable of running Windows Based Programs (Highly Doubtful)

4) Renaming Macintosh -> to another apple, like Breaburn (Brae OS), Fuji (Fuj OS), etc.

My 24601 Cent Ideas...

TEG

Mr. Anderson
Mar 11, 2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by timbloom
I really don't think they need to introduce a new product with everything apple does. They don't even need to "out-do" the 1984. But basically make a good, moving commercial that shows where Apple has been the last 20 years. Basically a commercial to advertise Apple as a company.. No need to advertise a single product.

Very good point and lets them not have to compete against the 1984 commercial, which wil be tough. But it will probably have something to do with the future and Apple. Especially if we have new processors by that time and are on a more competitive standing with Wintel.

D

moosecat
Mar 11, 2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by timbloom

I think that's right -- they could do a piece on how great Apple is. But I do think they either must introduce something monumental or introduce nothing at all. If they introduce something, but it is not particularly revolutionary, whatever that product is will be clouded by comparisons to the original Mac and the commercial that launched it.

That said, I'd still lean in favor of a product introduction. Steve Jobs loves the stage; he loves drama and surprise. The Super Bowl is the perfect medium for a message that will deliver all of that.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 11, 2003, 10:56 AM
Well, MWSF starts on January 5th and the SuperBowl is in Houston on the 1st of February. Doesn't rule out something new, but then they wouldn't have a commercial being the first to advertise a new thing anyway.

Unfortunately, if the 970s came out officially at MWSF (I hope not), the SuperBowl ad would be perfect for touting the 64bit architecture and speed....

D

Gus
Mar 11, 2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by yzedf
Some bookworm types find the 1984 Macintosh ad to be a bit plagiaristic!

Plagiaristic?! (by the way, kudos on the correct spelling, a seeming rarity on MR boards lately...)

It's called an homage. They weren't copying Orwell's book or idea and passing it off as their own, in fact, they even mention the title of the book in the ad!

"See why 1984 won't be like '1984'".

Regards,
Gus

Gus
Mar 11, 2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by CheekyGit
Maybe they will annouce that the 17" PowerBooks are finally shipping

Now THAT is the funniest thing I've read all day!

Regards,
Gus

Frobozz
Mar 11, 2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
LoopRumors claims (http://www.looprumors.com/) that Apple is already working on a 2004 Superbowl commercial with thei ad adency -- Chiat Day.

Yet another reason to believe that the Mac will so fundametally change in 2003 that in January of 2004 we will need a monumental ad on the scope of the 1984 superbowl ad to show it off.

God, I love this.

The 970 is a certainty, nah-sayers.

Frobozz
Mar 11, 2003, 12:08 PM
There is no way that the 2004 ad could have the impact of 1984.

Don't forget the story by the name of 1984...

http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/

Some bookworm types find the 1984 Macintosh ad to be a bit plagiaristic! :rolleyes: But that is for another thread altogether...

Yeah... especially since 2001 is the year we make contact and 2010 has that scary monolith again.

Hmmm.... *shudders*

yzedf
Mar 11, 2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Plagiaristic?! (by the way, kudos on the correct spelling, a seeming rarity on MR boards lately...)

It's called an homage. They weren't copying Orwell's book or idea and passing it off as their own, in fact, they even mention the title of the book in the ad!

"See why 1984 won't be like '1984'".

Regards,
Gus

I was more thinking about the fact that the TV ad that is considered the most memorable of all time, was not an original idea. Homage or not.

psxndc
Mar 11, 2003, 12:41 PM
Who besides mac fans remember the 1984 ad campaign? Being a switcher, I sure don't. I don't even know what it was, yet everyone here seems to be saying "Oh they have to top 1984" "It will be humiliating if they don't top the 1984 campaign". I bet you 50% of the people open to buying a mac (those that are 30 and under) were too young to remember an ad campaign from 20 years ago (they'd have been at the most 10 in 1984). What's the big deal?

-p

psxndc
Mar 11, 2003, 12:53 PM
I realize that "many" consider the 1984 ad to be the best ad of all time, but a) I don't know who "many" are and b) it doesn't change the fact that most people probably don't remember it (I asked around and only 2 out of 5 had a vague idea about what I was talking about all of which were under 30).

-p

RandomDeadHead
Mar 11, 2003, 04:52 PM
I can remember the 1984 commercial like it was yesterday. I was at a superbowl party and was so drunk that I could not see straight. I remember thinking that the IBM guy was Max Headroom. Who here even knows who Max headroom was?

Anyway, I ended up going to jail later that night, but thats a different story.

Good times.

neutrino23
Mar 11, 2003, 05:11 PM
The 1984 ad was a once in a lifetime opportunity. You had everyone at that time looking forward nervously to 1984 for decades. It was a palpable thing in the air. Then to have an ad that played on that Big Brother theme and have it air 1/1984 was powerful.

1984 was somewhat like when people were looking forward to 2000 except that 2000 had no energy to it. It was just like watching the odometer flip over on the car. 1984 was ominous. The government would be monitoring all of your electronic communications, searching your luggage when you travel, arresting you and holding you without charges - oh wait, that's 2004.

mikulashek
Mar 11, 2003, 05:14 PM
I hope to see them go back to the drawing board with their ads, the old ads were so powerful and now though from a design perspective the are great they dont really hit you with "wow, I need an apple." in fact all computer ads right now seem pretty lame, cant get any lamer than cows though.

mikulashek
Mar 11, 2003, 05:15 PM
Oh and yes, I remember M mmm M Max Headroom.:D

madamimadam
Mar 11, 2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by mikulashek
I hope to see them go back to the drawing board with their ads, the old ads were so powerful and now though from a design perspective the are great they dont really hit you with "wow, I need an apple." in fact all computer ads right now seem pretty lame, cant get any lamer than cows though.

Sure, it's all opinion, but I beg to differ. I have heard a lot of great feedback about the Apple ads from non-Apple fans. Obviously I love the ads since I love most things Apple but to have huge non-computer carers and PC lovers love the ads is a great thing.

rainman::|:|
Mar 11, 2003, 07:31 PM
Since apple is moving away from the 'minimalist' commercials, i would really like them to go back to older styles... anyone remember the ads for the Quadra and the classic? totally fun, attention-grabbing...

it'd be the best if they could get the voice from that ad period, it'd be really cool...

not exactly topping 1984, but then what does? someone asked why it's important... It was the first superbowl ad ever to spend so much time and money on the commercial and airspace... suddenly a war started and sponsorship hit new levels... hence the current superbowl ad mania...

that was back when apple gave a damn about things like drugs, drama and rolling out sod in the desert for a concert...

:)
pnw

Toby O Notoby
Mar 11, 2003, 07:53 PM
Okay, ad man here.

If they are actually doing this I would doubt that it would for the introduction of a new product. Most advertising can be split into brand ads which tout a philosophy (1984 and Think Different, for example) or product ads (the guy dancing out the door with his new iPod).

The original 1984 ad was about revolution. Sure, they could twist it to be about a revolutionary new product, but my guess is they'd use it to show how the revolution was successful.

As long as we're at it, a few fun facts about that spot:

1. It was shot by Ridley Scott not too long after he did "Blade Runner".

2. Apple didn't buy it when they were presented with the idea, so Chiat/Day when ahead shot it out of their own pocket and sold the finished ad.

3. The guy who wrote it had a brother who was really into history, so he had him write "big brother's" fascist speech. You can barely hear it in the ad, but it's actually really well done.

MacFan26
Mar 11, 2003, 10:16 PM
I also think that if there is so much anticipation and hype about this commercial, that it will not live up to anyone's expectations. The "1984" commercial just happened, and made its effect on viewers. If this ad is going to be talked about and discussed by the audience a year in advance, there is no way the commercial will live up to the likes of the "1984" commercial. I still think it will be great though! As long as the commercial says "This is what we've done, and this is why you need us," the ad will convey Apple's message.

AndrewMT
Mar 12, 2003, 01:22 AM
It's obvious that Apple is going to release another anniversery computer, super-bowl commercial or not. The 970 will be ready before January. You can still make an innovative and attractive computer worthy of Apple's 20 years in the personal computer market since the macintosh was relased without having to release a new processor.

trebblekicked
Mar 12, 2003, 03:51 AM
jeez. it's kind of hard to picture apple doing a gratuitous "pat itself on back" revolution-worked kind of thing, and it doens't make sense to me to do a switcher thing for the super bowl.
another 20th aniversary mac? i dunno. maybe the 64bit revolution? maybe just the "digital lifestyle" played out in active form instead of real-people talking about it.
i agree that apple will be moving away from minimalistic switcher-style ads as the year goes on. who would you want to direct the 2004 commercial? i'd say joel coen. or spike jonez.

crassusad44
Mar 12, 2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by moosecat

Hmm... Think this is what they did with the 1985 Lemmings SuperBowl ad....

melchior
Mar 12, 2003, 09:41 AM
are you saying lemmings wasn't a revolution?

AndrewMT
Mar 12, 2003, 10:48 AM
Well, I just think it is silly fo Apple to position, even delay, their release dates to match up with macworld or the superbowl.

areyouwishing
Mar 12, 2003, 11:28 AM
This is kinda scattered, I apologize. (and my 1st post)

The whole point of the ad is to get more people to buy Macs, and eventually overturn the PC market...right? right...

The 1984 ad didn't do it
The PowerPC didn't do it
The Clones didn't do it
The G3 didn't do it
The G4 didn't do it
The 970 won't do it
The 2004 ad won't do it

Bottom line is that people are lazy, and 99% of people will not switch, because of their apathy. Steve/apple needs to focus on the people that don't have a computer, win them, and you will eventually win the market.

I am a firm believer that Steve could make it rain sulfur, but he will never get this uncompromisingly lazy society to stand up and spend $1,700 on a 1.8ghz 970 computer (without a monitor no less), when their 800mhz Celeron works for everything they need (email, music, internet, office).

If Apple/Steve wants market share, I got a few words of advice.
$200 imac... I don't care how fast it is, or what form factor, in the "real" world very few people know about the new imac, releasing a cheap old imac is the only thing to get the market share. Apple/Steve's ego will not allow ANY marketing for a low price point mac, they're too caught up in the "we are not fast enough," garbage. Steven needs to put speed aside and focus on price, price, price.

Apple knows they lost the desktop, they lost it over 20 years ago, and that's why they are trying to find themselves a new niche in the UNIX world, unfortunately there is just very few other places to hide.

evoluzione
Mar 12, 2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by psxndc
Who besides mac fans remember the 1984 ad campaign? Being a switcher, I sure don't. I don't even know what it was, yet everyone here seems to be saying "Oh they have to top 1984" "It will be humiliating if they don't top the 1984 campaign". I bet you 50% of the people open to buying a mac (those that are 30 and under) were too young to remember an ad campaign from 20 years ago (they'd have been at the most 10 in 1984). What's the big deal?

-p

the 1984 ad is widely (worldwide) regarded as one of THE best advertisements of all time. and not just in the macintosh community. yes i of course know all about it being in the mac and advertising world, but, a couple of years back, TV Guide did a big feature on tv commercials, and rated "1984" as the best ad ever. The fact that 2 of 5 people you asked, under 30, remember it is really quite astonishing, 40% know of the ad 19 years ago when they werent't even 10 years old? if advertisers could get that result from every ad they produced, they'd be ecstatic. i'm not having a go here, just merely stating that it is far more influential than one might imagine. I'm English, it wasn't on TV during the Superbowl (I don't know if the superbowl was even aired back then, i know NFL was big when William Perry was around, before it died out again in the UK) but I still remember it. :)

oh, Toby O Notoby, nice to see Chiat/Day spelt correctly ;)

AndrewMT
Mar 12, 2003, 01:05 PM
I remember hearing about this commercial a few years ago, so I downloaded the quicktime movie and was really starting to get excitied. I was thinking excellent production value, this is going to be cool, etc... Then I saw the main character running in with a hammer in her hand. What?????? You have got to be kidding me!!?? This is the main character? Doesn't she seem a little out of place? Don't you think the short orange (or whatever color they are) shorts and the tight apple t-shirt were a little out of place in such a profound commercial? I know she was supposed to be different than the rest of the people in the commercial, but she looks like she is running for a scene on Baywatch.

I loved the commercial - great concept great everything. Except for the character they drafted when they were obviously horny.

dstorey
Mar 12, 2003, 03:23 PM
I tracked down the '84 ad on google and to be honist I don't see whats so great about it at all. On the other hand the think different one was amazing and one of my favorite ads ever. The meaning, the script, tje people they used were all great to me, and using these 'crazy ones' that people know gives the viewr something to relate too and something cool to be associated with.

DavPeanut
Mar 12, 2003, 08:27 PM
Apple released the Mac in 1984. Twenty years later, they should release somehting totally new. The Gala. Even cooler design than the New iMac. I know. Have The whole case see-through, and make it like a giant Airport basestation.

Winston Smith
Mar 13, 2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by trebblekicked

another 20th aniversary mac? i dunno. maybe the 64bit revolution? maybe just the "digital lifestyle" played out in active form instead of real-people talking about it.

You only have to trawl this site to see plenty of opportunity for Apple to announce something huge: Partnership with Sony?, Digital Hub now = Home Hub? AND no wires, 3d Displays, OSX on intel iron or:

Maybe they will annouce that the 17" PowerBooks are finally shipping
........very funny

But what about ideas for the style/theme of the ad?

Awimoway
Mar 13, 2003, 01:27 AM
If you can't top the 1984 ad... don't. I like the idea that this when they roll out a full suite of office apps, as a way of taking MS head-on. And, sure, they could rename the line "Gala" for extra luster ("MacIntosh" always sounded campy/ridiculous to me and "Mac" sounds violent). MS has certainly become the new established power to challenge. A Gates lookalike could be making the speech this time.

Maybe Jobs was sufficiently impressed with the response to and buzz about Keynote that he decided to go ahead with a full featured suite--giving his developers a year to pull it off, and this led to early planning on the ad.

dynamicd
Mar 13, 2003, 01:56 AM
Does anybody have a link or anything so that a lot of us can see what the first ad was?

Toby O Notoby
Mar 13, 2003, 02:25 AM
Toby O Notoby, nice to see Chiat/Day spelt correctly

No biggie. I'll give you a shiny nickle if you can spell out the proper name for BBH without looking it up.

And a link to a quicktime of the ad:

http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/1984.html

crassusad44
Mar 13, 2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by melchior
are you saying lemmings wasn't a revolution?

Apple aired a commercial named Lemmings during the 1985 SuperBowl. The ad was super-hyped, but nobody understood it. Even worse, the ad showcased a product (The Macintosh Office), that would not ship before two years later. It was kind of.... a... bummer...

dstorey
Mar 13, 2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by dynamicd
Does anybody have a link or anything so that a lot of us can see what the first ad was?

http://www.redlightrunner.com/appleads.html

psxndc
Mar 13, 2003, 10:31 AM
The fact that 2 of 5 people you asked, under 30, remember it is really quite astonishing, 40% know of the ad 19 years ago when they werent't even 10 years old?

Actually the 2 that _did_ know did exactly what was mentioned. They had heard about it years later (recently) and searched the web for it. I asked them to elaborate and they said they don't really remember it as much as they had heard about it and tracked it down.

I remember the silverhawks cartoon from like 19 years ago, but that doesn't make it the best cartoon ever. :-)

The point is: No one outside the mac community and ad people are going to compare the 2004 ad with the 1984 ad, so Apple doesn't need to top 1984.

-p

AllenPSU
Mar 13, 2003, 01:07 PM
:confused: You would think that Apple would be weary of spending the big bucks for a Superbowl spot unless they wanted to specifically target that audience.

If they have an innovation that can break down the Windows door and think a SB spot would do the trick, I would expect Apple to do some basic trademark building on CNN, FOXNEWS, VH1, etc. before a big show on Superbowl Sunday.

Just my 2 cents.

PeteyKohut
Mar 13, 2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by TEG
1) The First 64-Bit Laptop. The Power Book Advanced.

2) The First Consumer 3-D Displays.

3) Mac OS XI (Pronounced Zai), The Stability of Unix, the Usibility of Mac OS, and capable of running Windows Based Programs (Highly Doubtful)

4) Renaming Macintosh -> to another apple, like Breaburn (Brae OS), Fuji (Fuj OS), etc.

My 24601 Cent Ideas...

TEG

I always thought that they should make a computer for senior citizens and call it the Granny Smith. What do you think?? The all new Apple Granny Smith

evoluzione
Mar 14, 2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by psxndc
Actually the 2 that _did_ know did exactly what was mentioned. They had heard about it years later (recently) and searched the web for it. I asked them to elaborate and they said they don't really remember it as much as they had heard about it and tracked it down.

I remember the silverhawks cartoon from like 19 years ago, but that doesn't make it the best cartoon ever. :-)

The point is: No one outside the mac community and ad people are going to compare the 2004 ad with the 1984 ad, so Apple doesn't need to top 1984.

-p

fair point, cheers :)

Toby O Notoby - BBH = Bartle Bogle Hegarty, I actually worked with John Hegarty (i.e. he came to my office to "see the magic" as it were lol) a couple of years ago on a reebok campaign, so I should know that one ;) :p

Stelliform
Mar 14, 2003, 08:24 AM
The only revolutionary thing that I could think of would be OS X on the x86 chipset. 10 months is a realistic time table. But does apple want to do that?

Mr. Anderson
Mar 14, 2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Stelliform
The only revolutionary thing that I could think of would be OS X on the x86 chipset. 10 months is a realistic time table. But does apple want to do that?

hmmm, I don't know if that would be the direction Apple would want to go with a big, 20th Anniversary marketing event. It would take too much emphasis off of Apple. If they ever go x86 (which I don't see happening in light of the IBM 970) it won't be with such huge fanfare. They'll market it, push the switch, but as long as Apple has its own hardware, that will be the priority. They'd only be shooting themselves in the foot otherwise.

D

peterjhill
Mar 15, 2003, 08:17 AM
I think a brand advertisment would make more sense than a product ad. Unless then want to come out with a 20th anniversary Macintosh. As long as they don't try to sell it for $10k.

How about something that is a takeoff on the Monty Python and the Meaning of Life. An office filled with Macintosh computers being the Pirates fighting against an office filled with Windows machines. It would be a perfect play against the Pirates attitude of the original Macintosh developers.

Okay everyone, you saw it here first. ;-) I am claiming artistic rights for the idea. :D

minux
Mar 15, 2003, 07:32 PM
WRONG.

The 1984 ad had nothing to do with Orwell's book.

In fact, they were simply mentioning that the Macintosh will change the way you look at the world [which is why when the gray people are inhaling the new air they change the angle of their head (showing the different way they view their world)]

Additionally, the runner with the hammer showed the speed/strength difference between the Macintosh (note the apple on her shirt), and the PCs (note that she was out running him, and the blast of the hammer to the screen made them vanish - which is what Apple thought would happen to the PC when they released the Macintosh).

Mike

peterjhill
Mar 15, 2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by minux
WRONG.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

Awimoway
Mar 16, 2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by peterjhill
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

Good call. That, and all the thematic similarities (video demagogue, mindless automotons, military police, etc.). Just because the runner is not in the book doesn't mean it wasn't a takeoff of it.

"Nothing" is way too strong.

madamimadam
Mar 16, 2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Awimoway
Good call. That, and all the thematic similarities (video demagogue, mindless automotons, military police, etc.). Just because the runner is not in the book doesn't mean it wasn't a takeoff of it.

"Nothing" is way too strong.

While I agree with you, I would just be a bit hesitant about using a word like "takeoff"... it is not like they tried to make people believe that their ad had nothing to do with the book.. they fully embrase the book.

GeneR
Mar 16, 2003, 07:53 PM
Maybe they will annouce that the 17" PowerBooks are finally shipping... J/K.
CheekyGit :D

Too funny. :D I laughed when I read this too.

I would think that Apple has already established itself as a brand for innovation. So, if they did do a Superbowl ad they might want to come up with something that reiterates that theme... I would think it would be some sort of monumental change in the way we do things to bring the point home: like introducing A.I. as part of the O.S. X or something. I dunno. Well, it should be interesting.

:D

MacQuest
Mar 17, 2003, 12:35 AM
WRONG.

OH MY GOD!!:eek:

PLEASE tell me that you're joking...:confused:

etoiles
Mar 17, 2003, 01:22 AM
so in 1984 Apple comes out with this great commercial (and computer to go with it :D ), saying how bad Big Blue aka IBM is and how they are going to deliver the world from that evil big brother...

now 20years later, IBM seems to be the messiah for Apple, bringing peace, prosperity and a couple more mhz to the mac...isn't that kind of ironic ? Could the new ad reflect that all new and improved relationship ? (...see how 2004 is going to be just like 1984, the year, not the book :p )

Duder
Mar 19, 2003, 01:38 AM
I say screw the fancy schmancy new ad's just Re Air the 1984 ad and digitally remaster it and start like this: You See the Apple 30 inch High Def Monitor and a intro to the commercial and as you get closer the sound gets louder and louder until the commerical is in full screen it then plays through and at the end it says Happy 20th Anniversary

astrocity20
Mar 20, 2003, 12:56 AM
WRONG.

Mike

Hah. Funny. But yeah Just remaster the thing to show where the world is today. And if they really want to get me, they'll have the director of Homelan security on the screen.

Rags
Mar 21, 2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Duder
I say screw the fancy schmancy new ad's just Re Air the 1984 ad and digitally remaster it and start like this: You See the Apple 30 inch High Def Monitor and a intro to the commercial and as you get closer the sound gets louder and louder until the commerical is in full screen it then plays through and at the and it says Happy 20th Anniversary

You should save this and tell everyone "I told you so!" 'cuz my bet is, you're right...

I like to concept.

mproud
Mar 24, 2003, 01:04 AM
Would anyone like to agree with this statement?

The [original] iMac was a monumental product.

If so, let's check out the situation now and down the line:

* G3 iMac GONE
* eMacs on the way out (logical and inevitable)
* Rumors of new processor before end of year

This means:
* High-end systems get new processor
* Low-end systems stick with a G4 until next year...

...when the Super Bowl ad will air, showcasing a new monumental product (a consumer product)... with a new processor (and a new case, style, technologies...)

So regardless of whether you feel the iMac is at any way monumental or revolutionary, I have a feeling Apple will be releasing a product of similar stature to it, for the world.

alset
Mar 25, 2003, 12:26 AM
Show of hands - how many would like to see Apple use another grim, lemmings-style commercial?

Ooh! Ooh! Mememememe!

Dan

Tarje
Nov 4, 2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Toby O Notoby
Okay, ad man here.

If they are actually doing this I would doubt that it would for the introduction of a new product. Most advertising can be split into brand ads which tout a philosophy (1984 and Think Different, for example) or product ads (the guy dancing out the door with his new iPod).

The original 1984 ad was about revolution. Sure, they could twist it to be about a revolutionary new product, but my guess is they'd use it to show how the revolution was successful.

As long as we're at it, a few fun facts about that spot:

1. It was shot by Ridley Scott not too long after he did "Blade Runner".

2. Apple didn't buy it when they were presented with the idea, so Chiat/Day when ahead shot it out of their own pocket and sold the finished ad.

3. The guy who wrote it had a brother who was really into history, so he had him write "big brother's" fascist speech. You can barely hear it in the ad, but it's actually really well done. :eek: Weird facts, just what I need!!!!!!!!! Thanks, dude!

DangerDiabolik
Nov 10, 2003, 01:40 AM
I bet a superbowl ad will be itunes related/ipod related.

mproud
Nov 10, 2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by DangerDiabolik
I bet a superbowl ad will be itunes related/ipod related. Are you hinting that perhaps there'll be releasing new iPods during the Super Bowl? It would work favorably into the intended release schedule...

...perhaps even SPECIAL EDITION iPods? Hmm? Hmm? :D

K12MacTech
Nov 19, 2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by DangerDiabolik
I bet a superbowl ad will be itunes related/ipod related.

Agreed - especially with the Pepsi promotion that has been announced to begin about the same time.

Winston Smith
Nov 19, 2003, 03:44 PM
Pepsi have already suggested they will advertise the Pepsi/iTunes giveaway at the Superbowl.
With McDonalds also rumoured to be linked in an Apple ad with the Paris expo special edition iPod could be well on the cards.
Alternatively something completely different after all it is 20 years of the Mac and the line up is pretty complete at the moment hardware wise - perhaps Apple Office?

Awimoway
Nov 19, 2003, 10:01 PM
Maybe so, but special edition products are pretty rare in the Herr Jobs reich.

Drifter
Nov 22, 2003, 12:54 PM
The 80GB iPod. :D

No. The World's First 64-bit Computer with Three Processors.

The 43 inch Cinema Display.

The iBook.

madamimadam
Nov 23, 2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Drifter
No. The World's First 64-bit Computer with Three Processors.

You mean the world's first 64-bit PERSONAL computer with 3 processors?!
;)

Originally posted by Awimoway
Maybe so, but special edition products are pretty rare in the Herr Jobs reich

Not really... wasn't all that long ago that I had a SE iMac and at a similar time there were SE iBooks

Sunrunner
Dec 6, 2003, 07:57 PM
I hope that Applke does do a superbowl ad blitz. In fact, I think they need to ramp up their ad campaigns in general ... Apple is never going to get maketshare if they don't invade the public conciousness.

wdlove
Dec 7, 2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Sunrunner
I hope that Applke does do a superbowl ad blitz. In fact, I think they need to ramp up their ad campaigns in general ... Apple is never going to get maketshare if they don't invade the public conciousness.

I think that Apple is doing better with advertising. At least here in Boston the iPod and iTunes music store frequent. They have them at MBTA subway stops, buses, and bus shelters. I have seen more for the iPod also on TV than any other previous promotion. :)

MacsRgr8
Dec 7, 2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I think that Apple is doing better with advertising. At least here in Boston the iPod and iTunes music store frequent. They have them at MBTA subway stops, buses, and bus shelters. I have seen more for the iPod also on TV than any other previous promotion. :)

Mee too.
My parents have Sky TV (here in Holland), and when I was there watching a Champions League football match (the Chelsea game), during half-time the iPod was advertized!
I know many, many Brits (and other Europeans too) were watching the game... it gave me a good feeling. Thats the way to get to the big (euro)crowd! Football in Europe >>> the way to go. As the Superbowl in th US.

El Dandy
Dec 8, 2003, 12:44 PM
I was more thinking about the fact that the TV ad that is considered the most memorable of all time, was not an original idea. Homage or not.
As far as the adertising agency goes, the Apple 1984 spot is still considered to be one of the best and most impactful/memorable super bowl spots to date. Just cuz your buddy using a PC doesn't remember it in no way means that only mac fanatics remember it.

BTW, don't be surprised if the commercial is good, but it's not much of a huge product. For instance, it could just be a commercial introducing the pepsi-iTunes connection.