PDA

View Full Version : Practicality of a PowerBook 5300cs

iHotu
Jul 27, 2006, 09:10 PM
I have a non-working PowerBook 5300cs (100mhz, 500mb, 24mb). The green power light at the top of the screen will come on, but that’s all. I was told the screen stopped working, but it may be more as the system does not seem to boot up at all, neither the HD or the floppy drive makes any noise.

I have looked around and found new logic boards and screens each going for about 30 shipped. As I don’t really know what I’m doing, I could easily see myself spending $75-$100 and still not have a working machine.

Which gets me to my question, if I was able to get this powerbook to work, what could it be used for? I have read a few older posts stating:

Surfing the Web - would be very slow, limited to simple sites
Email - may or may not work, depends on your provider
MS Office – old file types, plus how would I go about printing to a USB printer?
Wireless – possible with the correct card

Ideally I would like to use this as an extra wireless system for email/web, but is it too under powered for that? Is anyone still using these portables? I would most likely install 7.5.3, as it is free from Apple, and try to grab any free apps from the Web. Most of the local computer repair stores don’t want to deal with this, and working units can be found on eBay for about $50. I would not mind spending a few bucks to fix it if I thought it would be a useful system.

SodaPopMonster
Jul 27, 2006, 09:30 PM
You could use it to light a fire.

dmw007
Jul 27, 2006, 09:33 PM
I have a PowerBook 5300cs, it just sits underneath my desk. Not sure that it is worth $75-$100 to get it in working order.... :o

iHotu
Jul 27, 2006, 09:42 PM
I have a PowerBook 5300cs, it just sits underneath my desk. Not sure that it is worth $75-$100 to get it in working order.... :o

While it would be fun to try, that's what I'm thinking too.

Have you used an external display with yours? If so, what kind of resolution is possible?

dmw007
Jul 27, 2006, 09:53 PM
Have you used an external display with yours? If so, what kind of resolution is possible?

I have never used an external display with my PowerBook 5300cs, so I am not sure what kind of resolution is possible. :o