PDA

View Full Version : Photo Printers...

ottonian
Mar 11, 2003, 10:24 AM
Finally broke down and ordered my machine.
Dualie 1.42
2 X 180gb
Nvidia Ti [where are those ATI's?]

Need help in purchasing a good photo printer.

looks like it's between the

canon i950 and the
epson stylusphoto 960

or, any other suggestions?

medea
Mar 11, 2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ottonian
Finally broke down and ordered my machine.
Dualie 1.42
2 X 180gb
Nvidia Ti [where are those ATI's?]

Need help in purchasing a good photo printer.

looks like it's between the

canon i950 and the
epson stylusphoto 960

or, any other suggestions?
I say go with the epson, excellant print quality there, but I personally prefer Epsons so it's just my opinion.

Mal
Mar 11, 2003, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure why, but our Epson Photo 820 almost always prints out with weird spots and shading on the printout. I don't know if it's an issue with that printer or the drivers or some settings, but you might want to see if other people have gotten the Epson to work. Speaking of which... anyone know the settings required to get a good printout on photo paper from iPhoto.

JW

LosJackal
Mar 11, 2003, 03:30 PM
I watched the Epson 960 like a hawk until it was available. Even placed an order for it from Costco. I cancelled it as soon as I heard the Canon i950 was coming, albeit only to the UK at the time.

Why? Because the 960 has a sheet feed problem. Something to do with non-flat paper, and streaks at the end of the print. There were some workarounds, but no solution or official explanation. I'm a fan of Epson, but I didn't want this annoyance to give me a headache.

Furthermore, I researched and in my opinion the Canon i950 had superior technology, with more nozzles per head (meaning much faster print speeds than an Epson) and the smallest ink droplet available (2 picoliter).

I've been using an Epson Stylus 900 for the past three years, and it has served me well with its 4 picoliter droplet (small at the time). But a 2 picoliter Photo printer is a wonderful thing, and I believe Canon is the market leader right now.

Besides, the i950 is cheaper, and will probably work more harmoniously with my Canon Powershot S45 camera.

ottonian
Mar 11, 2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by LosJackal
I watched the Epson 960 like a hawk until it was available. Even placed an order for it from Costco. I cancelled it as soon as I heard the Canon i950 was coming, albeit only to the UK at the time.

Why? Because the 960 has a sheet feed problem. Something to do with non-flat paper, and streaks at the end of the print. There were some workarounds, but no solution or official explanation. I'm a fan of Epson, but I didn't want this annoyance to give me a headache.

Furthermore, I researched and in my opinion the Canon i950 had superior technology, with more nozzles per head (meaning much faster print speeds than an Epson) and the smallest ink droplet available (2 picoliter).

I've been using an Epson Stylus 900 for the past three years, and it has served me well with its 4 picoliter droplet (small at the time). But a 2 picoliter Photo printer is a wonderful thing, and I believe Canon is the market leader right now.

Besides, the i950 is cheaper, and will probably work more harmoniously with my Canon Powershot S45 camera.

thanks for the through feedback.

Just ordered one.

bousozoku
Mar 12, 2003, 05:51 AM
I took back the Epson Photo printer I bought a long time ago after not enjoying the extra-healthy dose of Magenta.

I had been using a SC900 and it did a great job. I wanted the better inks and the Photo printer does have better ink--it just doesn't know how to dispense it.

Canon printers are on my list for photo printing, from now on.

LosJackal
Mar 12, 2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by ottonian
thanks for the through feedback.

Just ordered one.

Awesome! Reply on this thread, letting us how know it works out for you. Follow the setup procedure step by step.

You get some sample 4x6 Canon Photo Paper Pro with the printer. I made the first print on this paper, and I was incredibly impressed....it's the first time I saw borderless printing, with spectacular quality to boot.

acj
Mar 13, 2003, 06:34 PM
Wall Mart and Sams Club both have Fuji Frontier 370 digital printers. I would get one if they didn't cost $150,000. Anyway, they print digital files by projecting light onto real silver halide paper. It's Fuji Crystal Archive paper, which takes 50-150 years to fade. Dye-based inkjet prints can fade in under a year.

At Sams Club 4x6" photos are $.20. 8x10's are $1.96. You can send them your photos on the web and then pick them up next time you're near the store.

My experience with Consumer Epsons is that they always clog, but the print quality is great. Things are different with an Epson 2200P. The thing does not clog, and it uses pigment ink so it's longevity is nearly the same as the Fuji Archive paper.

I dont' have experience with Canon printers. Now that I use sams club to make my prints, I am extremely happy with my laser printer to do only print black and white. It was $127. (At Sams Club)

No, I don't work for Sams Club :)

khollister
Mar 13, 2003, 06:58 PM
I currently have an Epson 1280, which does a pretty good job on the Epson Archival Matte paper. The secret to preventing clogs is either printing something or running the clog test once every week or two. If you let the printer set for weeks/months, you will have problems.

The 2200 is fantastic. I plan on getting on later this year, for the B&W results if nothing else. I believe it is THE photo printer short of the Fuji Pictography stuff.

bousozoku
Mar 13, 2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by acj
Wall Mart and Sams Club both have Fuji Frontier 370 digital printers. I would get one if they didn't cost $150,000. Anyway, they print digital files by projecting light onto real silver halide paper. It's Fuji Crystal Archive paper, which takes 50-150 years to fade. Dye-based inkjet prints can fade in under a year.

At Sams Club 4x6" photos are $.20. 8x10's are $1.96. You can send them your photos on the web and then pick them up next time you're near the store.

My experience with Consumer Epsons is that they always clog, but the print quality is great. Things are different with an Epson 2200P. The thing does not clog, and it uses pigment ink so it's longevity is nearly the same as the Fuji Archive paper.

I dont' have experience with Canon printers. Now that I use sams club to make my prints, I am extremely happy with my laser printer to do only print black and white. It was $127. (At Sams Club)

No, I don't work for Sams Club :)

Sam's Club should have that printer for a discounted price of 149,915.43. :D

Doctor Q
Mar 13, 2003, 07:50 PM
Remember that the cost of supplies can easily overwhelm the cost of the initial purchase unless you plan only occasional photo printing. For most people shopping for a photo printer, the important issues should be whether or not you want photos that will last decades, how well the printer actually works, and how much the paper and ink will cost you. The cost of the printer is less important until you've considered those factors, so I hate to see people jump just because they saw a sale that saved them a few bucks.

Eckslusive
Mar 13, 2003, 10:49 PM
I went to a Apple/Adobe/Epson/Nikon workshop on the 11th, and it was pretty cool. They gave out an Epson 2200. My friend got it....I got Keynote. And some other people got tee's and hats...thank god that wasn't me...I said to myself..if they called my name, I wasn't going to go up. hahah

cc bcc
Mar 16, 2003, 05:05 PM
I'm very interested in the Canon i950. Does it have seperate ink tanks for each color? And does it print A4 without border? I want to be sure about this, so can anyone confirm this please?

If it's true, that's fabulous! I hate it when printers can't print on the edges. I also hate when my cyan ink is empty and I have to replace all the colors!

Edit:

And how is the driver for OS X? Is it good?

While we're at it, I'm also looking for a flatbed scanner, in the 200-300 dollar range. Does anyone have suggestions? I'll need to be able to manually adjust the dpi, so what scanner brand has good os x drivers?

Thanks!

LosJackal
Mar 16, 2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by cc bcc
I'm very interested in the Canon i950. Does it have seperate ink tanks for each color? And does it print A4 without border? I want to be sure about this, so can anyone confirm this please? And how is the driver for OS X? Is it good?

Yes, separate ink tanks. It does print borderless, don't know off the top of my head for A4 for sure. OS X drivers are just fine.

For a detailed review,
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/
Scroll down to find the link to the review.