PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Keyboard

AphexThrice
Mar 11, 2003, 10:46 AM
Is it possible to take the new backlit keyboard from a 12 or 17 inch PowerBook and transplant it into a 15"? I doubt the 12" would work, but the 17" might. If this is possible, where could I find one?

-AT

Bear
Mar 11, 2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by AphexThrice
Is it possible to take the new backlit keyboard from a 12 or 17 inch PowerBook and transplant it into a 15"? I doubt the 12" would work, but the 17" might. If this is possible, where could I find one?

-AT
The 12" doesn't have a backlit keyboard. And as for taking it from the 17", you'd have to find out if the backlight mechanism is part of the keyboard and if it needs a power connector.

AphexThrice
Mar 11, 2003, 10:56 AM
Who do you think would know this?

skymaXimus
Mar 11, 2003, 11:34 AM
i seriously doubt this would work. they keyboard on the 15" is designed to lift up so that you can install extra memory, airport card, hard drive, etc.
It would be way more plauseable to put a 17" keyboard on a 12" inch, because their the same new generation of keyboards, not deisgned to lift up to access components. Even if you could put the keyboard on a 12" it probably wouldn't light up because you're missing your light sensors and thigns of that nature.

rainman::|:|
Mar 11, 2003, 12:24 PM
your best bet is to pray that the new 15" have the keyboard lighting when apple updates it, it's the only way you're going to get it to work, unless you're a hardware engineer-- then you might stand a chance.

pnw

Bear
Mar 11, 2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
your best bet is to pray that the new 15" have the keyboard lighting when apple updates it, it's the only way you're going to get it to work, unless you're a hardware engineer-- then you might stand a chance.

pnw
Actually to retrofit a new backlit keyboard into an existing TiBook might still be an engineering job. It depends on the design elements of the keyboard and backlight system. A lot of which will be hidden from view when you just look at the Powerbooks in question. Connectors, sensors, etc....

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 11, 2003, 01:54 PM
Sure would be cool if that backlit keyboard showed up in all of Apple products. I for one cant tell you how many times i have had to turn on a light to see what i was typing.

idkew
Mar 11, 2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Sure would be cool if that backlit keyboard showed up in all of Apple products. I for one cant tell you how many times i have had to turn on a light to see what i was typing.

kensington makes a usb light that will light your kekboard for you if this is a problem. $20 last i looked. i have one, but never use it.

you could also learn to touch type. free basically.

but i would mcu rather have alight built in... i just need $3000 for a 17".

grimmace
Mar 11, 2003, 02:28 PM
There is a backlit keyboard out there. I saw it in the latest Wired magazine. It's for desktops though. I dont see a way that you can get one into the 15" powerbook but the new 15 will have it and I'm that will be able to be installed.

medea
Mar 11, 2003, 02:42 PM
why do you think they left out the back-lighting with the 12", perhaps they couldnt fit all the components in?

patrick0brien
Mar 11, 2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by medea
why do you think they left out the back-lighting with the 12", perhaps they couldnt fit all the components in?

-medea

I think you hit the nail here.

There really isn't any spare room in this thing (looking at mine)

And to be perfectly honest, I really did want one, but hey, it's such a luxury - haven't needed one before! Shoot, Uncle Steve is most likely the only private citizen who owns one right now anyway! :D

Vector
Mar 11, 2003, 04:29 PM
It would be very difficult. The ambient light sensor is mounted under the speaker grill and the keyboard are likely different in their connection to the case. So you would have to take out that sensor and mount it under the speaker in the 15", assuming that there is even space in the 15". Apple has probably changed the way that the keyboard fits into the case as they did between the wallstreets and the lombards. The size of the keyboard may also be different in size and in height, meaning that it may not close properly or the keys may scratch the screen.

losfp
Mar 11, 2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by idkew

you could also learn to touch type. free basically.

Spot on. That's why the home keys have raised bits on them.

Though it DOES take months of training on online chat programs before you're up to speed :D :D

Kwyjibo
Mar 11, 2003, 06:17 PM
hmm, the odd things is that even though i typically don't stare at my keys when I type I like to know they are there and when the lgiths are compeltley off I always mistype something so I bought one of those kensington flylights and it works well especially when you only need a little light.

alexrs
Sep 4, 2003, 09:09 PM
Speaking of engineering...

http://mikegyver.com/page3.html

settledown
Sep 4, 2003, 09:46 PM
someone did a fibre optic thing with fishing line, and ran the line under his keyboard and tapped into the display backlight, so it dimmed with the display.

I'll have to look for the link, the guy documented his mod and offered the instructions for free.

It looked good, he ran 3 lines left to right under the three main letter rows.

I'll be back with the link. I hope.

settledown
Sep 4, 2003, 10:08 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/nnishi/PhotoAlbum4.html

settledown
Sep 4, 2003, 10:41 PM
i've never had the balls to try it, even though i think i would be able to do it.