Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
...to Denmark, that is.

Why?

Because it's the happiest place on Earth.

If it is happiness you are seeking a move to Denmark could be in order, according to the first scientist to make a world map of happiness...

...Adrian White from the University of Leicester in the UK used the responses of 80,000 people worldwide to map out subjective wellbeing.

Denmark came top, followed closely by Switzerland and Austria. The UK ranked 41st. Zimbabwe and Burundi came bottom.

A nation's level of happiness was most closely associated with health levels. Wealth and education were the next strongest determinants of national happiness.

1st - Denmark
2nd - Switzerland
3rd - Austria
4th - Iceland
5th - The Bahamas

UK=41st, USA=23rd...

Download the Happiness Map here.
(PDF, 146kb)

See you in Copenhagen... or maybe the Bahamas. Nicer weather.

:)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5224306.stm

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Have fun! :)

I might take a little trip myself. I've been feeling a little bit under the weather of late.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
If I lived in Saudi Arabia, and someone asked me if I was happy, I'd smile nervously and give a positive answer, for fear that it was some Government agency :rolleyes: .

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Ahhh, Danmark, the home of Danish Pastries, the Paperclip and Bang & Olufsen.

Of course MacRumors is still available in Denmark! Remember to post pictures when you get there...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Jaffa Cake said:
Lego's Danish though, right?

...and so is bacon for those butties with brown sauce. ;)

And Carlsberg, too.

See? They've got it sorted.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Blue Velvet said:
Because it's the happiest place on Earth.
Quick! Someone tell the folks at Disneyland.

They've been using that as a marketing tagline for years.

Maybe Denmark can parlay this into getting its own Disney park there now, next to LegoLand Billund. :D

B

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
LOL I was all getting ready to miss you! :p

Mmm, I think I would be happy for entirely different reasons (that have to do with Denmark's proximity to a few of my friends in Europe) if I lived there! :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
afri-bur.jpg

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If it has a beach and palm trees, I'd be happy. The Bahamas are a little too commercial for me. I really liked St. John - but that's the US Virgin Islands - so they're lumped with the US. I'd bet they'd be up in the top 5, if they counted them separately....

D

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Not to burst Blue Velvet's bubble, but according to this study http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5169448.stm, Vanuatu is the happiest place on earth.

Depends on what happy is, but I would guess the Vanuatu study is on sustainable happiness, versus day-to-day subjective happiness...FYI...

1. Vanuatu
2. Colombia
31. China
38. México
62. India
65. Switzerland
66. Italy
88. Spain
99. Denmark
108. United Kingdom
111. Canada
129. France
150. United States

Whole list at http://www.happyplanetindex.org/list.htm

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
TheAnswer said:
Depends on what happy is, but I would guess the Vanuatu study is on sustainable happiness, versus day-to-day subjective happiness...
the article said:
The HPI incorporates three separate indicators: ecological footprint, life-satisfaction and life expectancy. The statistical calculations that underlie the HPI are quite complex. However conceptually, it is straight forward and intuitive:
HPI =
Life satisfaction x Life expectancy
Ecological Footprint

The HPI reflects the average years of happy life produced by a given society, nation or group of nations, per unit of planetary resources consumed. Put another way, it represents the efficiency with which countries convert the earth’s finite resources into well-being experienced by their citizens.
Nice measure.:)

And definitely better weather than Denmark...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.