PDA

View Full Version : Dells required more fixes in Henrico

MacBytes
Jul 28, 2006, 05:12 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Dells required more fixes in Henrico (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060728181247)
Description:: Although it is difficult to draw any firms conclusions due to conflating factors, the repair rate for Dell laptops in the Henrico schools is higher than it was for the Apple iBooks.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mord
Jul 28, 2006, 05:20 PM
no ****.

poppe
Jul 28, 2006, 05:22 PM
Wait wait... But we need to save money and get dells. iBooks are just to to much.

mcic1984
Jul 28, 2006, 05:41 PM
"Another recurring problem was incorrect "sleeping," so the hard drive could crash when the laptop was reopened, Brown said."

Whoa, what does this mean?! Shame on Windows =)

VanNess
Jul 28, 2006, 05:45 PM
Lloyd Brown, director of technology for the school system, said he expected to see the number of laptop repairs increase.

Sure, NOW he tells us, lol.

balamw
Jul 28, 2006, 05:57 PM
"Another recurring problem was incorrect "sleeping," so the hard drive could crash when the laptop was reopened, Brown said."
One of my favorite things about my Macs. No sleep issues!

B

mkrishnan
Jul 28, 2006, 06:11 PM
^^ Mine too.

Mmm, well, it is notable that Dell didn't require as many send-aways. And tsk tsk on Apple for not having done more about loaners on their watch. That was too obvious. You give laptops to school kids and they will get messed up. :rolleyes: Just a fact of life.

It'll be interesting to see if things get better. But from that director's comments, it sounds more like this was about getting on Windows than anything else....

Oh, btw, does anyone happen to know...is the copy of Windows (or the copy of OS X that was on the iBooks) on these computers tightly administered -- e.g. little or no ability for the user to install anything?

aranhamo
Jul 28, 2006, 06:14 PM
One of my favorite things about my Macs. No sleep issues!

B

Tell that to my G5 iMac that would consistently fail to wake from sleep, as well as spontaneously sleep while in use, even after a fresh install. I've never seen a PC or Mac that hasn't had sleep issues, which is why I never use sleep on any computer, including my Thinkpad.

Now that Apple has replaced my G5 iMac with a new Intel one, I might be persuaded to try it again, but I'm still wary of sleep.

bigandy
Jul 28, 2006, 06:27 PM
There is not one single valid excuse there why a direct comparison can't be made.

Dell (New machines)
• 14,125 problems

Apple (3-4 year old machines)
• 12,250 problems

That is clear cut. The excuses made:

• This was Dell's first year in the high schools, and the company is still learning to manage a one-student-to-one-computer program of this size.

• staff had about 3½ weeks to put basic software on the machines.

•Michelle Mosmeyer, a Dell spokeswoman, said the company's focus for the year was minimizing student downtime and increasing loaners. She said it will continue working on that next year. "We spent this year really learning how Henrico works," she said.

Are ANY of those valid excuses? Let's see.

• Dell sell many, many times more laptops than this normally, yet cannot manage one programme where there are that many problems? Yeah, we're dealing with teenagers here, but still, that rate is a bit high (although Apple's was too).

• 3½ weeks would be more than enough time. Whip out one laptop, install software, ghost drive. Distribute all machines to their locations, wire up network, drop ghost image over network. I've done this with really huge networks, and it takes about 30min for 40Gb. So this isn't a valid excuse either.

• Dell's spokeswoman is hitting the nail on the head: "we spent the year finding out how it works". With their resources SURELY they could have researched it BEFORE putting in a tender for the contract?

Muppets.

And the one i like the most:
• One student brought his Dell in for repair 18 times over the course of the year.

bigandy
Jul 28, 2006, 06:29 PM
Now that Apple has replaced my G5 iMac with a new Intel one, I might be persuaded to try it again, but I'm still wary of sleep.

how the hell did that happen?

balamw
Jul 28, 2006, 06:29 PM
You don't seem to be alone http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=219832 :(

It's been great on both my iMac Core Duo and iBook. Guess I'm just lucky!

B

mkrishnan
Jul 28, 2006, 06:35 PM
I should probably also come clean about *my* iMac G5 sleep problem. Although I'm fairly certain that mine can be fixed with an archive and install, and I just haven't bothered yet. (The details (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=214965) of mine are a little unusual, and easily enough avoided since I am the only active user, and therefore do not need to be able to sleep/wake at the login screen).

Up until whatever I did, though, sleep/wake was bombproof on my iMac. And iit always has been on my iBook. :)

AlmostThere
Jul 28, 2006, 07:17 PM
There is not one single valid excuse there why a direct comparison can't be made.

Dell (New machines)
• 14,125 problems

• 12,250 problems

The article left out

Dell repair cost : £0, <24hrs
Apple repair cost : ~£100 >72hrs

OK, I am drawing those figures from my own experience with the respective support but without this sort of information, a simple repair-by-repair comparison is pointless in this sort of scenario. Just for example:
6,940 were fixed at school.
Hell, I can't even get Apple to fix any laptop on site! That's 3 days down time for every problem.

maxrobertson
Jul 28, 2006, 07:20 PM
Tell that to my G5 iMac that would consistently fail to wake from sleep, as well as spontaneously sleep while in use, even after a fresh install. I've never seen a PC or Mac that hasn't had sleep issues, which is why I never use sleep on any computer, including my Thinkpad.

Really? that sucks! My iMac (G3) has never had any sleep issues, but my family PC doesn't even go to sleep anymore, for some reason.

Analog Kid
Jul 28, 2006, 07:54 PM

Dell (New machines)
• 14,125 problems

• 12,250 problems

That is clear cut. The excuses made:

Are ANY of those valid excuses? Let's see.

• Dell sell many, many times more laptops than this normally, yet cannot manage one programme where there are that many problems? Yeah, we're dealing with teenagers here, but still, that rate is a bit high (although Apple's was too).

• 3½ weeks would be more than enough time. Whip out one laptop, install software, ghost drive. Distribute all machines to their locations, wire up network, drop ghost image over network. I've done this with really huge networks, and it takes about 30min for 40Gb. So this isn't a valid excuse either.

• Dell's spokeswoman is hitting the nail on the head: "we spent the year finding out how it works". With their resources SURELY they could have researched it BEFORE putting in a tender for the contract?

Muppets.

And the one i like the most:
• One student brought his Dell in for repair 18 times over the course of the year. Yeah, I thought the "first experience with a one student one laptop program" argument was pretty specious too.

That said, I don't think this is the sales pitch for Apple that some think it is. For one thing, I expect that new machines will turn up more problems that machines a year or two old and the numbers just aren't all that different.

Killyp
Jul 28, 2006, 08:25 PM
We're still learning

Well then why the HELL did they contract a company who CLEARLY doesn't know what it's doing! They've even admitted it!!!

ITASOR
Jul 28, 2006, 08:30 PM
That's ok. If they went for MacBooks instead, their repair rates would be tripled the DELL amount.

telecomm
Jul 29, 2006, 03:09 AM
The article left out

Dell repair cost : £0, <24hrs
Apple repair cost : ~£100 >72hrs

OK, I am drawing those figures from my own experience with the respective support.

The article does mention both that Apple fixed some laptops on site (2,568), and that average wait times were 24-48 hrs with Dell, 42(?)-72 hrs with Apple.

You're right, though, that the article doesn't include any mention of your own experiences with Apple support! :D ;)

nagromme
Jul 30, 2006, 01:32 AM
I've slept all my Macs (total 3 since 1998) day-in/day-out, and it's rock-solid.

With the exception of VERY occasionally opening my PowerBook to a blank screen, if I have enabled the option to ask for password on wake. I close the lid and re-open, and all is well. (It helps if I say "Parkay" and "Butter.") By occasionally I mean twice a year in heavy use/travel, alternating with always-on Folding@Home. (Which is the REAL answer to best sleep practices :) )

But if you don't Fold (cancer schmancer) then go ahead and sleep... so much more convenient than booting.

coolfactor
Jul 30, 2006, 03:27 PM
Tell that to my G5 iMac... I'm still wary of sleep.

I've had dozens of Macs and never had a sleep issue. Don't place such harsh judgement based on your one Mac. :-)

junker
Jul 31, 2006, 08:33 AM
I actually live in this stupid community. It's ridiculous! I don't know who's idea this was, because everyone I talked too loved the Macs - teachers, students, admins, techies - everybody!

I personally emailed the school superintendant and pleaded with him! I gave real world security issues concerns and forseeable incident cost/fix/time ratio comparisons.

But, I also pleaded with them to also sell the extra Macs Henrico Co. residents first (since THEY paid for them with tax money) I actually think they heard me on that, because two days after my email they changed the conditions to that. Sorry (sort of) about that to those who were gonna buy 4 or 5 to re-sell at a profitand lived thousands of miles away... I read those posts :P

I tell ya this too - Here's my conspiracy minded creative paranoia kickin' in :) --- I suspect there was a underlying miltary contract reason or old boy network reason.

This state and community is so completely military minded, that I can almost hear this conversation between a couple of local yokel war buddies hatching the Dell plan, "Let's get Dell, 'cause Apple is for liberal weenie art f*gs and Dell is a proud southern company who employs Americans."

This kind of BS isn't unusual here - though it's not as prevelant either...it's hard to explain. There is no sense to this decision, none that I've been made aware of anyway.

Another thing I've noticed here: the overall educational level of the general populace is woefully deficient in critical thinking... I really think that the teachers want to teach, but the kids are nightmarishly stupid. It's like living in Vin Disel movie - little tricked out race-car honda's and little thug-lets with bald heads and the most ignorant concepts.

GOD-I hate this place!

Whew! Ok, that's out...hehe...

Truely sucks here. Don't tell me to leave - I'm on my way out.