Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Hello,

I have a video in iTunes which I want my friend(s) too watch, but they don't have iTunes. I've tried hard to convince them to download it, but nothing.
So...
Is there anyway that a video .m4v file can be converted into either quicktime or a .wmv file?

I'm running a Mac (obviously), and don't really want to pay anything for the software - i'll on be using it this one time.

Thanks for any help.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Thanks for getting back to me so soon.

tell them to download VLC player! http://www.videolan.org

I tried to open the file myself in VLC, but it came up with an error and was unable to load.

Nermal said:
QuickTime Player should be able to play the .m4v file.
I realised this after I posted, so i tried it out. I opened the video in quicktime and it worked fine. So i then moved the file over to my Windows computer, to see if it can be played there (my friends have windows) and it said that I had to authorize the computer to play it by opening iTunes.
So I tried to Save the video in quicktime as a "self-contained movie" - this saved, and worked on my mac. Moved it to WinXP and the same thing happened, it asked for authorization.

What do i do? Any help?

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Ah! you bought it from iTunes?

well thats going to be harder! can't you tell your friend your friend to come over and watch it on your mac?

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
cwedl said:
Ah! you bought it from iTunes?

:eek: Hey, i should have stated that little fact in my original post. Sorry.

well thats going to be harder!
Tell me about it, I've been searching for a way around in for the last four hours! It's taken that long, as i have no idea what i'm doing.

can't you tell your friend to come over and watch it on your mac?
:rolleyes: He lives over 200miles away, i'm in Scotland, he's in England.

If anyone, knows how to get around the problem of getting a video, bought from iTunes, to play on a computer which hasn't got iTunes, but when it's converted, you need to get around the problem of authorzing, please help.
THANKS

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
HelixOmnimedia said:
If anyone, knows how to get around the problem of getting a video, bought from iTunes, to play on a computer which hasn't got iTunes, but when it's converted, you need to get around the problem of authorzing, please help.
THANKS

Other than your friend downloading iTunes and authorising your account on his PC, there is no *legal* way of doing this.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
whocares said:
Other than your friend downloading iTunes and authorising your account on his PC, there is no *legal* way of doing this.

Saying that though!....

If you have a camcorder you could video the screen or use a screen capture tool maybe? and then e-mail him the video that you made of the video? hehe

That would work!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
.m4v is the format iTunes uses to distribute its video content. It's basically a .mp4 file with the attached DRM.

Due to the presence of the FairPlay DRM, any attempt to convert the video into another format is a breach of the agreement you accept when you sign onto iTunes. As such, it would be illegal for you to convert a .m4v file into another format and we are unable to offer assistance that would allow to do so. That, and as far as we know there are no programs that will do the job.

Sorry mate, but the only way you'll get your friends to see those .m4v videos is for them to download iTunes. If they don't like it, I guess that's just tough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.