Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Was wondering if anyone could help me out on this. Ive got a Nikon Coolpix 5900 camera which is not recognized by iPhoto. I have been using Nikon's own software Picture Project to import my pictures but it keeps losing pictures and returning messages like file not found. Therefore I am determined to get iPhoto to recognize my camera. I have checked on Apple's website and it is not among their list of compatible cameras for some reason, despite other Coolpix cameras being in the list. Is there anything I can download such as a driver perhaps that will enable iPhoto to see my camera. At present it just says that there is no camera connected. I have another camera which is recognized by iPhoto no problem, so I know it is not a software issue.

Would be most greatful if somebody could throw some light on this for me.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Have you done a firmwire update? here

All other websites and reviews said that it was compatible with Mac OSX or was that just the software?

sorry I couldn't be more help.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
I haven't used the 5900, but I have a 5400 and in the setup menu there is an option to select which USB transfer mode the camera uses - PTP or Mass Storage. If your camera has that option, try changing it.

Edit: I just looked it up and your camera should have that option. I'll bet Mass Storage would work. It will cause your camera to show up as a removable drive, which iPhoto should recognize.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I have the same camera and it works great for me with iPhoto. What version of OS X are you running? What version of iPhoto?

I had some problems with iPhoto crashing when I tried to import pics by plugging the camera directly into (ie. not a card reader) a G4 mac mini running 10.3.9. However, it doesn't seem to cause any problems on my G4 powerbook running Tiger and iPhoto 5.0.4.

Does the camera even pop up on the desktop as an external drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.