Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
I am a new mac user and have a question. Two apps that I have downloaded, Macjanitor and Brickhouse launch in an odd way. They were downloaded as .dmg files, therefore, when you launch them they mount as if they are an external drive. The little white drive icon appears and to close you must drag it to eject. other then that they work fine. I have feeling this is not right, but I could be wrong. Any help would be great please.

Thanks
Paul

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
.dmg and .img files are drives as far as the system is concerned. They mount as a seperate drive and the have to be ejected the same way. I don't know if you run the actual programs from those drives or not, but if you are running it from those drives and are annoyed by having to do that, then just drag the disk onto the HD and it will copy everything in the .dmg file onto the HD as though it is a folder. Then you can run the program from the folder rather than having to mount it every time you want to run it.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Remember to hold down Option as you drag the disk onto your hard drive icon. Otherwise, it will just make an alias (the Windows equivalent of a shortcut), which won't work after you "eject" the disk image.

--Fred

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
That is a normal installation method on Mac OS X. It seems that some companies like to go out of their way to prove that their applications contain no spyware and don't install other things on your computer. Either that, or it's easier to drag an application into a .dmg than it is to create an installer. ;)

JW

pdham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
thanks alot for the help guys... everyone here is so helpful it is a great resource.. thanks again.
Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.