Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsquid526

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
My school has an open lunch so i always go out to eat at wendy's or something. One day when all my friends were going to 7\11 for the 4th time that week i went to wendy's by myself. I put my ipod in my backpack just before i went in. then i (yes it was stupid) put my backpack at the table i was going to sit at and went to order my food. i get back and it and a ti-82 is gone. for 2 years i had no idea who took it, i thought it was some bum or something wanting dope money. then about a week ago one of my friends told me they think they herd someone brag to him that they stole my ipod.

A few ?'s 1) how should i approach asking him if he stole it...(should i call his mom?)
2) is there any way i can prove its mine since i still have the purchase papers from best buy(maybe a serial # or anything like that?)

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
jsquid526 said:
My school has an open lunch so i always go out to eat at wendy's or something. One day when all my friends were going to 7\11 for the 4th time that week i went to wendy's by myself. I put my ipod in my backpack just before i went in. then i (yes it was stupid) put my backpack at the table i was going to sit at and went to order my food. i get back and it and a ti-82 is gone. for 2 years i had no idea who took it, i thought it was some bum or something wanting dope money. then about a week ago one of my friends told me they think they herd someone brag to him that they stole my ipod.

A few ?'s 1) how should i approach asking him if he stole it...(should i call his mom?)
2) is there any way i can prove its mine since i still have the purchase papers from best buy(maybe a serial # or anything like that?)

do you still have the original box it came in? that will have the iPod serial number on it...

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
It's too bad it took you so long to figure it out.

First of all, I would suggest taking you're receipts and anything that has the serial number on it to school one day. And then on a day when you're sure that he has it on him, go to the school liaison office and get him/her to call the kid down without telling him what it's about. Then the liaison officer can get him to take his iPod out and you can compare serial numbers.

Also I'm not sure if you've done this already but you can report your iPod stolen to Apple so that if someone tries to take it in for service it's flagged as being stolen.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Ask him to listen to it one day, or get someone who know who is also hs friend if he doen't like you, and check if updated it from his computer, if he did not it will still have you NAME under setting. If he got rid of that go for the seral number(if you don't have it, ask Apple for it)

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
zap2 said:
Ask him to listen to it one day, or get someone who know who is also hs friend if he doen't like you, and check if updated it from his computer, if he did not it will still have you NAME under setting. If he got rid of that go for the seral number(if you don't have it, ask Apple for it)

I'm sure he would have updated it after 2 years. Unless jsquid has really good taste in music.

So yea since you have the serial number it shouldn't be that difficult for you to check it out. You just need to get a hold of the iPod which you could do 10 different ways.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Electro Funk said:
do you still have the original box it came in? that will have the iPod serial number on it...
even if jsquid526 didn't have the box, most users register their iPods when it is prompted at the first sync right? I'm sure he could find out from Apple, especially if jsquid526 took out Applecare as well.

moot

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
in the great Asian wonderland
killuminati said:
I'm sure he would have updated it after 2 years. Unless jsquid has really good taste in music.

So yea since you have the serial number it shouldn't be that difficult for you to check it out. You just need to get a hold of the iPod which you could do 10 different ways.

Be careful about who you accuse. Just because someone tells you that they know who took your iPod, you still have no right to accuse someone wrongly.

Getting hold of their iPod could land you in a lot of trouble, even if it was the one stolen from you. Let's say you get it to check the s/n, and then you are discovered with it, they can accuse you of stealing it.

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
I'm sorry to hear about your iPod.

You really need to improve your spelling and grammar. I'm sure you knew this- but there's a difference between 'no' and its homonym 'know'. Also, capitalize your 'I's and learn the difference between 'it's'='it is' and the possessive 'its'.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
If you can confirm that its your's, just take it back. A simple "hey, that's a cool ipod! Can I see it?" will do the trick. Check the SN. If it matches, don't give it back. Just beat him at his own game.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It seems really simple to me...

Bring either the box or receipts for the iPod (that contain the serial number) to school and approach the kid who you think stole it. Explain to him that your iPod was stolen and you are looking around for it and want to compare serial numbers with his iPod. (Don't accuse him specifically, act like your asking everyone.)

If he didn't steal it, he'll hand it over to you no problem. In the case he refuses, let him know because of that you are suspicious, and say you'll take this to a higher authority (i.e. school administrators, parents, etc.) if need be.

Applespider

macrumors G4
You've got to be really careful here.

You have a friend who says he thinks he heard someone brag about it and a gap of 2 years in which the iPod might have been replaced by another if it developed a fault.

The suggestions about asking people to check serial numbers are the kind of thing that was probably worthwhile doing 2 years ago. Now, I'm afraid that you might just have to write it off since if your friend is wrong or the iPod is different, you're going to end up in deep kimchee for making 'false' accusations.

HGW

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
if its been two years then the battery will be in poor shape.

there are two places where the serial numbers kept, one is on the back of the ipod at the bottom, the other is in the ipod, settings/ about/ scroll down.

if you dont have a copy of the serial number your gonna find it impossible to prove,

that was pretty stupid leaving it in the bag,

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
If you're going to go up and ask him, you need at least one more person with you who's higher authority (preferably a teacher).

If you don't take someone with you and it does turn out to be yours, he's got plenty of warning to get rid of it, or vandalise it etc.

AppleMatt

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
commonpeople said:
You really need to improve your spelling and grammar. I'm sure you knew this- but there's a difference between 'no' and its homonym 'know'. Also, capitalize your 'I's and learn the difference between 'it's'='it is' and the possessive 'its'.

mfacey said:
If you can confirm that its your's, just take it back...

:D

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
commonpeople said:
I'm sorry to hear about your iPod.

No your not, you just wanted to harp on his spelling

commonpeople said:

You really need to improve your tact and social interaction skills. Leave it to his teachers to teach him how to spell and use correct grammar. I'm sure you knew this- but there is a difference between helping and just being a jerk. It's a shame this forum is full of so many jerks....

jsquid526

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
wheezy said:
No your not, you just wanted to harp on his spelling

You really need to improve your tact and social interaction skills. Leave it to his teachers to teach him how to spell and use correct grammar. I'm sure you knew this- but there is a difference between helping and just being a jerk. It's a shame this forum is full of so many jerks....

Yes I put no instead of know because when I was writing the title, it started scrolling, so I thought maybe it was too long and it would show up as "I know who stole my ipod, but I don't...", so I got rid of as much as I could. I think this is ok since this is my first post on this site. And the "i" thing is a bad spelling habit. Of course I never started this thread to be criticized on my spelling anyway.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Felldownthewell said:
That gets my vote. And if it turns out he didn't do it, just say sorry and walk away. :D
It is sort of sad, that this is usually the only method that works -- besides steal it back.

But, most of these people won't stop stealing until you start beaking their bones.

Breaking bones along with the message, you suck at stealing since I've caught you and will keep beating you down if you keep it up.

Of course some people are stupid enough to keep it up, even after being crippled. :rolleyes:

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Sun Baked said:
I still like the beating the crap out of the guy until he buys you a new one.

that gets my vote.

seriously though, that ipod will be dated now and it has been 2 years. thats some time to acuse someone of stealing yout iPod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.