Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
My iBook came back from Houston today, and one of the problems (the major one) was fixed. However, the second problem with what appeared to be the display cable was not fixed. I have decided to not send it in until this quarter is over, but it really bugs me that Apple didn't even bother to test it, whereupon the tech working on it would have noticed the problem.

I have found their techs top be sloppy in the past, too. One time they even broke my Airport antenna and didn't bother to test it.

Just ranting... Has anyone had a similar experience, as well?

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Sorry for your issues, but I am extremley happy with service. Why? Because no Macintosh I've ever had since 1985 has broken! :)

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Les Kern
Sorry for your issues, but I am extremley happy with service. Why? Because no Macintosh I've ever had since 1985 has broken! :)

Lucky! can I have one of your machines? ;)

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
i agree with you. I sent in my comptuer because the bottom left corner of the screen casing had popped open. It was from the torque of opening the screen and i guess defective fastners.

Anyway, i sent it in. Apple shipped it back to the local store the 5th. they got it the 6th. i called the 10th. they said it was still in transit (while the main apple call center said they should have it). I called the 11th, they said they still didnt have it. then the idiot at the apple store told me airborne express had probably lost it. he called me back 20 minutes later and said that no one had bothered to read the notes in my file and they had had it since monday!

what gets me is this: he then says to me "well we tried to call you but no one answered so thats why we didnt get it back to you sooner." Like that was a good excuse for 2 days being too damn lazy to read a small note?

then the apple tech people scratched the screen hinges (i mean down to shiny metal) and i simple mentioned this, though not wanting to send my computer back with them. His response: "well technically this repair wasnt even covered by warranty so you should just be happy." I nearly took him out on the spot. It just popped open one day after no abuse at all and it wasnt covered?

anyway, id had it with him, he was giving me attitude because i look young. he simply said the manager would call me if i wanted. so i just dropped the card from my law office on the counter. at least he kinda turned pale when he realized i wasnt some 20 year old college student.

oh well, guess no company can make sure all of its employees are as outstanding as their products:rolleyes:

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
Lucky! can I have one of your machines? ;)

I am lucky, I guess. Macs, though, are pretty solid machines and always have been. Point being that unfortunately there will ALWAYS be problems somewhere with every vendor. It's almost like flipping a coin... it's just that Apple has more sides? In my District our failure rate for new Macs has been less than ONE PERCENT. Awesome. A Lab of Dells I put in had 4 DOA's out of the box, and 3 more failures in the first month. That's out of 700+ Macs and only 28 Dells! (BTW, the Dells are going away, Dude. Anybody blame me?)

My suggestion is to be persistent and adamant about help... kill them with kindness DAILY.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Les Kern
My suggestion is to be persistent and adamant about help... kill them with kindness DAILY.

Unfortunately, the techs are all the way in Houston and I'm here in L.A. I think I'll ask for a phone number for the repair depot next time, and call them every day the iBook is there to make sure things are going smoothly and they're bothering to test my machine.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
ibookin'@mwny...it's the way you're treating your iBook. Let's see...how many times did you have to send it to Apple?!
Yes they don't do a very good job sometimes and I really dislike it when my computers come back with blemishes on their otherwise perfect and flawless outsides but it's what you get for breaking it.
Besides, what is it...one more time with that problem and Apple will just hand you a replacement?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
This is another reason to support your local apple store or retailer. Then you can walk in and say hey! I had my wifes imac classic hard drive screw up. It was under warranty so took it to the dealer, they popped in a new one and presto she was happy i was happy. Nothing like being able to walk into a store and talk with these dudes. Mail order is all right but has its limitations. Maybe one day Apple will build a store in South Carolina ( Hickville)

conceptdev

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
I had two seriously defective macs in a row, a 15 FP imac and DP 1 GHZ. I found apple really useless, yes I had apple care. I found though if you want to speak to someone who might be able to make you happy call them at 1 infinite loop. The call center personnel just seem to have scripts.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
This is another reason to support your local apple store or retailer. Then you can walk in and say hey! I had my wifes imac classic hard drive screw up. It was under warranty so took it to the dealer, they popped in a new one and presto she was happy i was happy. Nothing like being able to walk into a store and talk with these dudes. Mail order is all right but has its limitations. Maybe one day Apple will build a store in South Carolina ( Hickville)

Yeah, I bought the iBook from Di-No in Pasadena.

As to the way I treat my iBook: I agree that I am a little hard on the machine, and it does need repair a lot, but when I send it in to be repaired and they don't even fix all the issues reported and covered under warranty it really make me angry.

Before I sent it in the last time I talked to a rep at Apple and she said that if the machine were to break again they would consider just replacing it. However, I don't know if this will count. Should it?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
As to the way I treat my iBook: I agree that I am a little hard on the machine, and it does need repair a lot, but when I send it in to be repaired and they don't even fix all the issues reported and covered under warranty it really make me angry.
sweetie, as your girlfriend i think that you're treating that poor iBook a tad too hard. :rolleyes:

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Sorry about the problems.

I’ve had the exact opposite experience, less one Apple goof up. I have found all iBook repairs to be done well, and more than once they repaired something that I didn’t mention. I have had 2 new screens installed, not because I asked, but because they thought they needed replaced.

They did goof when they left a diagnostic CD in the drive and shipped it back. It was a ratty looking CDR that damaged the CD reader.

As I look at my iBook, I notice something else, cracks where the frame is screwed into the shell. I don’t know if the techs caused it or if it is just age. I first noticed them when I got my iBook back, but I can’t definitively say it was their technicians that did the damage.

Side note: Apple’s turn around time is amazing. I called AppleCare, they sent a box out that day, I boxed it up, Airborn picked it up, A day and a half later it was back on my desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.