Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
How are these? I am looking for a fairly affordable DSLR, perhaps a rebel/ rebel xt.

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Hmm, Have you looked at the look a like SLR's too?

For example the Olympus SP500?

They can do just as much as a digital slr without the hefty price tag! :)

Just something to consider before you go and spend loads on a rebel XT!

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
DBAlex said:

Except change lenses, which is why you would get a DSLR in the first place...

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
DBAlex said:

The SP500 is not a SLR. Yes Rebel XTs work well. What is your reasoning for buying a dSLR?

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I've had my Rebel XT for about a month now, and it's my first DSLR. I love it, it's light, but solid, and pretty fast, about 3fps. I recommend it especially if it's your first; it's really easy to use. Be careful what lenses you buy, though.

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
If you haven't actually held one, or even if you have, I would highly reccomend going into your local camera store/best buy or whatever, and actually try out some different entry level DSLRs. I was going to buy a rebel XT until I tried to use it. I was way to small for my hands and was very awkward to use. I ended up buying a Nikon D50 because it felt way more natural and comfortable to use.

As for the question of whether or not they work well, I don't think you would be disappointed with the preformance of any entry level DSLR. From what I've seen/heard, they all work pretty great - Just get a good lens

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
imacintel said:
How are these? I am looking for a fairly affordable DSLR, perhaps a rebel/ rebel xt.
I use one. It is responsive, easy to use, and takes great photos. I can certainly recommend it. However, it is considerably smaller than other DSLRs, so many DSLR users don't find the grip comfortable. I agree that one ought to try before buying.

macbookprouser

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2006
i dont know much, but i am starting a graphic design major the end of next month and i just got my rebel xt and i love it. i think it rules, i got it from ebay for 899.99 with the standard lense and a 70-300 mm macro telephoto too. it rules. i also got my macbook pro at the same time. im ready to start my classes. yay.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
macbookprouser said:
i dont know much, but i am starting a graphic design major the end of next month and i just got my rebel xt and i love it. i think it rules, i got it from ebay for 899.99 with the standard lense and a 70-300 mm macro telephoto too. it rules. i also got my macbook pro at the same time. im ready to start my classes. yay.

Haha, sounds like me, except I got a new iMac. :D

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
shieldyoureyes said:
If you haven't actually held one, or even if you have, I would highly reccomend going into your local camera store/best buy or whatever, and actually try out some different entry level DSLRs. I was going to buy a rebel XT until I tried to use it. I was way to small for my hands and was very awkward to use. I ended up buying a Nikon D50 because it felt way more natural and comfortable to use.

As for the question of whether or not they work well, I don't think you would be disappointed with the preformance of any entry level DSLR. From what I've seen/heard, they all work pretty great - Just get a good lens

I couldn't agree more. If I were buying today, feel would make or break my decision, and in the case of the Canon, break it. It did almost 2 years ago when I was first researching a digital SLR, and so based on feel and advice I went Nikon and don't regret it.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Pistol Pete said:
i hear it is getting a revision soon..

They are saying August 24, they are currently saying that will be the date something new will come out...but I am hoping it will be the new Mark II 1Ds N but some people are saying it will be a replacement for the Rebel XT, so if you don't need the camera right now, it might be worth waiting for the updated version...but if you do want it now, you can find some really good deals on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.