Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I am planning of buying one of the 12 inch laptops and would like the group's advice. I will use the machine mainly on business trips for watching DVDs on flights, word processing, games (e.g. Stronghold, CivIII and SimCity when it arrives) and some airport based internet surfing around the house. My desktop is a new PowerMac with airport extreme (so that difference does come into play). I also travel with my work-issed IBM Thinkpad, so the (slightly) smaller size of the PowerBook is a plus as well. For a price difference of $500, which is the smarter buy? Is the display any different?

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Both are great

I own both of the 12' ibook and powerbook. I love 'em both for different reasons. For your needs is sounds like you don't really need a PB's G4, but the Airport Extreme may by a worthwhile feature. The ibook should still meet all your needs (the only drawback is the trayloader, which can be a pain in airplane seats). If I had to choose one given your needs, i'd still go for the ibook - but remember they will likely be updated in the next 6 to 8 weeks.

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
i just decided to buy an ibook 12" 800 - no 12" powerbook. i have a powerbook titanium and it has died... i was taken this with me for everyday and that was to much for this machine. even i have to make business-presentations, i go now for an ibook - it has much stronger case.
well, if you travel a LOT with this thing then go with the ibook, if you just have it with you from time to time, take the powerbook: it's an up to date machine.
but by the way: i do not care about ibooks are getting updated in the near future (every mac will, sooner or later...)
.a

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Re: iBook or PowerBook

Airport Extreme is the only reason you need. Portability and G4 make your decision for you. Cost is the only factor, so if it's not a factor, there you go.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.