PDA

View Full Version : Titanium or PowerMac?

MUrhino
Mar 12, 2003, 11:20 AM
I know they're two totally differnet platforms, but let me tell ya what the deals are. A Titanium for $2200, superdrive, and Applecare....or a PowerMac DP 1.25 with a 23" screen for $3300. The Titanium discount is through my school and the PowerMac is through the Developers discount. I would use it mainly for email, office applications, virtual PC sparingly to play Red Alert. I wouldn't take the laptop to class for notes or anything, but as a college student mobility might be nice for taking it home on the weekends. I'm in Air Force ROTC so when I graduate I'll be moving around every 3 years or so, but I could always buy a Desktop before I graduate and then use the Titanium for my mobile stuff. Any comments / suggestions? I don't want to spend more than $3500 tops! I would also do some photoshop, and adobe stuff. Would I see a hit in performance without the DDR? Thanks all!

Coca-Cola
Mar 12, 2003, 11:35 AM
It sounds like the Titanium would best suit your needs. Especially the moving around part. Can you get the 17 inch Powerbook instead?

conceptdev
Mar 12, 2003, 02:04 PM
The Titanium has never failed to disappoint me - I have 1GHZ 1GB RAM though. I prefer it to the DP 1GHZ that I used to have. The only thing that bothers me is FCP rendertime & DVDSP rendertime - but I only use those apps occasionally.

I also have had no hardware issues with the machine at all, unlike with the Pmac.

23" of screen space sounds beautifull though, if you can get a nice DVI LCD around that size with the TiBook that would be ideal. Whenever I think about buying a Pmac again I realise its just an excuse to buy a large LCD because I just can't get enough screen real-estate. How some people live with 1024x768 I never know.

evildead
Mar 12, 2003, 02:40 PM
if you got the Tower... you will wish you had the portable. While the Tower is impressive and the Apple LCDs are the best on the market and they will turn heads... the Titanium can make even the most die-hard PC user drule. I have a budy that works for MS... he and I go at it all the time... exept on one topic. The Titanium. He wants one in the worst way

crazzyeddie
Mar 12, 2003, 05:28 PM
I just got the 1ghz 15" TiBook and its perfect. The 17" may look nice, but i think its too big for a portable. The 12" is under powered and too small, but this 15" fits PERFECTLY on your lap and the screen is sharper than my 21" Trinitron.

markjones05
Mar 12, 2003, 05:35 PM
23" flat screen *drool

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 12, 2003, 05:47 PM
17 powerbook! coca cola i think has this nailed! But then again that is a big thing to carry around. Ok the 17 " imac and throw out your preconceived notions!

Bear
Mar 12, 2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by MUrhino
I know they're two totally differnet platforms, but let me tell ya what the deals are. A Titanium for $2200, superdrive, and Applecare....or a PowerMac DP 1.25 with a 23" screen for $3300. ...
It osunds like you would do better withe a Powerbook.

What about getting the Powerbook and adding a 20" LCD Display, Keyboard and Mouse. (Or 17" if the 20" is too much.)

This would give you two screens and the keyboard and mouse to use most of the time and you still have the Powerbook to travel around with.

MUrhino
Mar 12, 2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Coca-Cola
It sounds like the Titanium would best suit your needs. Especially the moving around part. Can you get the 17 inch Powerbook instead?

yeah, I could get the 17" for $2650 through the discount, but honestly, I just don't really love the new powerbooks. I heard someone say that theirs had scratched from normal use...It's also the first version, whereas the Titanium is in it's best form we've ever seen. All of the kinks should be worked out. I could go with the other keyboard (don't really care about the light, cool though), it's a bit flimsy. I prefer the new ones. Thanks for the input.

MUrhino
Mar 12, 2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Bear
It osunds like you would do better withe a Powerbook.

What about getting the Powerbook and adding a 20" LCD Display, Keyboard and Mouse. (Or 17" if the 20" is too much.)

This would give you two screens and the keyboard and mouse to use most of the time and you still have the Powerbook to travel around with.

Yeah, I thought about that. The problem is that if I only buy a screen, my one-time discount is used up...for life. I'm thinking about buying a desktop system when I graduate in 2005 and use my discount then. That way I'll have a new desktop for home and a good machine for email and other office stuff. Thanks for the suggestions. If I can work it out right, I'll probably go with that. Would I see a performance hit at all if I used an external display? Would it get too hot? Thanks again!

Bear
Mar 12, 2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by MUrhino
... Would I see a performance hit at all if I used an external display? Would it get too hot? Thanks again!
There is no real performance hit for running with dual screens.

Where you might get a perceived performance hit is running more things at once since you now have more screen space to spread applications across.

And as for the heat, you only get the additional heat of the LCD screen. You would also need a DVI to ADC (http://www.apple.com/displays/adapter.html) to connect the Powerbook to an Apple LCD Studio Display.