Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conceptdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
Is there anyway to migrate an MS Access database either into MySQL or Filemaker Pro.
Either have it done through an export command on the Access side or do it in one fell swoop on the mac side without VPC and a copy of Access.

I need to do things this way and I dont have access to VPC or Access in the right languages at the moment & because the client with the DB is in another part of the world.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Can't you export the database from Access as a CSV file and re-import it to MySQL or FileMaker Pro? You will need to first create the databases on the programs you plan to import the data to (i.e. create the necessary columns, data type, etc.). Then you can just do a simple import.

conceptdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
Thanks - I have no idea how Access works at all - and therefore have no idea as to its export options. I was just hoping that Microsoft wouldn't try to keep it locked into and MS only format and only allow export to MS SQL. I'll wait around for a few hours to see if there is an even easier method before I start that way - thanks mack.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
No problem, conceptdev. :) I don't think it's very difficult to export and import databases--you are not the first one on Earth to have tried, so I'm sure solutions exist. In any event, you can select "Save As" on your Access database to save the database in other formats, including CSV or ODBC. I'm pretty confident you can then import them into any database you want.

As for your concerns about MS locking you down to a proprietary format, your feeling is completely justified. I think in this case, MS just could not lock its users to an MS-only format for databases as there are many other types of databases more popular than Access.

Good luck!

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Is this a data-only conversion? i.e. table design and data?
or do we have a bigger problem here with forms? queries, VBA modules, etc?

The first should be easy to expoert/import. The second, well, you need MS Access and the know-how to read the forms/queries/code and then convert it to something similar in another dbase solution.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by iShater
Is this a data-only conversion? i.e. table design and data?
or do we have a bigger problem here with forms? queries, VBA modules, etc?

The first should be easy to expoert/import. The second, well, you need MS Access and the know-how to read the forms/queries/code and then convert it to something similar in another dbase solution.

-conceptdev, iShater

Good questions both.

Well, for a migration, the first thing to do is the data(tables). And yes, the best way is to export the tables from Access as flat files (.txt), not even .csv.

And, I always use the pipe "|" as my delimiter, not coma "," or tab as my delimiter because the odds of someone having a pipe in their data is very slim compared to tabs and commas.

As for the migration of Queries, Forms, Reports, Macros, and Modules, well, most likely not, unless there is a proprietary importer in Filemaker itself that can extract from the Access .mdb file directly. In fact, if you can do that, get your tables that way as well.

I hope that helped a bit.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Actually FileMaker Pro can read Excel worksheets. Access can export Excel worksheets. This would be good for data with funny characetrs in it.

zoetropeuk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
Oxford UK
This is the easiest way to export access to mySQL:

a) Set-up a blank mySQL db on the mac.
b) Go into the ODBC administrator, which is located in applications/utilities/
c) Setup a new System DSN
d) Go to the PC and via access export the DB to ODBC.
e) Enter the IP address, DB name and login details for the mySQL db on your mac.
f) Export the DB

and voila the access DB has exported itself directly into your blank mySQL db on the mac.

You might have to install the mySQL ODBC drivers on your mac if they are not visible. Even though you have mySQL installed and running you may not have the system ODBC drivers. You can get them from http://www.mysql.org

conceptdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
While I was typing a question someone typed the answer.

Thank you all very much for the help

conceptdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
Would it be possible for someone to post a walkthrough for configuring the ODBC.ini for an operation like that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.