Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I am trying to decide on an FM transmitter for my video ipod.

It is down to these three:

The iRock

Belkin TuneCast II

Itrip

I am honestly considering either the Belkin or the iRock based on their use of the headphone jack; I like the idea that I can use it for my ipod, but if I have a recording on my palm or some other headphone jack'd device I can just swap it over.
Is there a significant difference if the feed comes from the headphone jack or the dock? I am not an audiophile, so the biggest concern for me is any background hiss, especially while I am listening to audiobooks. Also, has anyone had success/failure with any of these? It seems like there is no one "magic bullet" transmitter beloved by all, so I just was hoping to get some general opinions to see what works for different people in different situations.

Thanks!

-Carly

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I got the Kensington after recommendation from the local Apple store, and it works generally well.

The pros of a dock connector version are twofold.
  • You typically get power and tunes from only one cable.
  • You never have to fiddle with the iPod's volume control since the dock has line out.

The biggest downside of the FM transmitter for me was that it seemed to get overpowered at least once a day by a neighboring car. They probably didn't like my music and I didn't like theirs. I've since switched back to the tape adapter and given the FM to my wife.

I didn't notice any more hiss over FM than with the cassette adapter.

B

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
Should you decide on the Kensington do not get it at the Apple store, they are way overpriced. Amazon sells them for much less. Monster also makes one that is supposed to be decent.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
luckylisp said:
Should you decide on the Kensington do not get it at the Apple store, they are way overpriced. Amazon sells them for much less. Monster also makes one that is supposed to be decent.
FWIW I usually avoid buying non-Apple accessories at the Apple store, but in this case the comparable iTrip and Monster products were similarly priced at CC and BestBuy and the Apple store and I couldn't wait for shipping.

B

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
question fear said:
I am trying to decide on an FM transmitter for my video ipod.

It is down to these three:

The iRock

Belkin TuneCast II

Itrip

I am honestly considering either the Belkin or the iRock based on their use of the headphone jack; I like the idea that I can use it for my ipod, but if I have a recording on my palm or some other headphone jack'd device I can just swap it over.
Is there a significant difference if the feed comes from the headphone jack or the dock? I am not an audiophile, so the biggest concern for me is any background hiss, especially while I am listening to audiobooks. Also, has anyone had success/failure with any of these? It seems like there is no one "magic bullet" transmitter beloved by all, so I just was hoping to get some general opinions to see what works for different people in different situations.

Thanks!

-Carly

I have the Belkin II but do not go with the one you linked. I know it looks pretty and matches the ipod (I was going to buy it for this reason), but it does not come with a power supply. There is a black and gray model for the same price that comes with a power supply. Performance is much better with the power supply. Also, Walmart is the cheapest place that I've found it. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2603620
Also, don't buy it at Best Buy. They charge about $50 for the same one that Walmart has for around $30.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
balamw said:
The biggest downside of the FM transmitter for me was that it seemed to get overpowered at least once a day by a neighboring car. They probably didn't like my music and I didn't like theirs. I've since switched back to the tape adapter and given the FM to my wife.

I was researching this reciently, because my new Power Adapter/iTrip doesn't have the power my remote port iTrip has, and I get overpowered, it turns out, that those are usually illegally manufactured XM and Sirius FM transmitters. They are 5 times more powerful than they were approved to be, causing the problems with personal radio stations.

The Dock Connector iTrip is not very powerful, not compared to the remote port iTrip, which has the advantage of using the headphone jack, not the line out on the dock.

The best thing I'm aware of is the Belkin Tunecast II, which uses AAA batteries, but in your car, you can use a Belkin PowerAdapter to power the iPod and the FM Transmitter. I use the Griffin iTrip Power Adapter because I use my iPod in the car 90% of the time, and it is also compatible with my nano, and the dock connector iTrip uses USB to charge the iPod, and I have a 3G which cannot charge over USB.

TEG

Hytower77

macrumors regular
balamw said:
I got the Kensington after recommendation from the local Apple store, and it works generally well.

The pros of a dock connector version are twofold.
  • You typically get power and tunes from only one cable.
  • You never have to fiddle with the iPod's volume control since the dock has line out.

B

I have this one as well. I drive around Dallas/Fort Worth all the time and don't have a problem at all with it. I think it sounds great for what it is. Worth the 70 or so $.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
From the reviews I've been reading, the Griffin iTrip and the DLO Transpod are considered to be the best transmitters at the moment.

I particularly like the DLO Transpod, but that's just me. Can't say I've used either though. Just throwing you some options!

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
mfacey said:
From the reviews I've been reading, the Griffin iTrip and the DLO Transpod are considered to be the best transmitters at the moment.

I particularly like the DLO Transpod, but that's just me. Can't say I've used either though. Just throwing you some options!

The recent iTrips supposedly have more static than the early (1st and 2nd Gen iPod) versions.

DLO Transpod is amazing. I'm now a believer. Station lock is rock-solid, and if you set your iPod equalized to "small speakers", the sound is just as good as the best FM broadcasts.

If you're in the San Jose area, use 91.3.

maconservative

macrumors regular
May 1, 2006
Republic of Texas
Go with the Kensington

I tried the XtremeMac AirPlay 2. It was OK. Returned it after a long road trip. It was being overpowered by frequencies with only static.

Bought and LOVE the Kensington Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger for iPod. It is good at transmitting on frequencies that are being used by weak radio stations. This is good if you live in a major metro area. I am in Dallas, TX. There are not very many "open" frequencies. Another bonus that I like is that your iPod automatically pauses when then adapter is unplugged from the power port.

Regards....

Hytower77

macrumors regular
maconservative said:
I tried the XtremeMac AirPlay 2. It was OK. Returned it after a long road trip. It was being overpowered by frequencies with only static.

Bought and LOVE the Kensington Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger for iPod. It is good at transmitting on frequencies that are being used by weak radio stations. This is good if you live in a major metro area. I am in Dallas, TX. There are not very many "open" frequencies. Another bonus that I like is that your iPod automatically pauses when then adapter is unplugged from the power port.

Regards....

Amen, I live in DFW as well, and this one is great again....

BTW...greeting fellow Metroplexer!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.