PDA

View Full Version : Security Update 2006-004 Available

MacRumors
Aug 1, 2006, 04:05 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Now available via Software Update:
Security Update 2006-004 is recommended for all users and improves the security of the following components.

AFP Server
Bluetooth
Bom
DHCP
dyld
fetchmail
gnuzip
ImageIO
LaunchServices
OpenSSH
telnet
WebKit

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61798.

spicyapple
Aug 1, 2006, 04:06 PM
Is it a good idea to install this update at the same time as my new 2GB RAM installation? I hate to ruin my uptime, by rebooting twice.

Direct link to the article.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304063

Mal
Aug 1, 2006, 04:12 PM
I don't see why you couldn't. Do the install, choose shut down, then put your ram in and boot up again. I doubt it'll cause any problems.

jW

iMeowbot
Aug 1, 2006, 04:13 PM
Is it a good idea to install this update at the same time as my new 2GB RAM installation?
For your own peace of mind, do one at a time. If anything goes wrong, you will have fewer possibilities to eliminate that way.

FoxyKaye
Aug 1, 2006, 04:15 PM
Is it a good idea to install this update at the same time as my new 2GB RAM installation? I hate to ruin my uptime, by rebooting twice...
I wouldn't do both at the same time. Although unlikely, in the event that something goes wrong on the system, it would be better to know if the cause is the RAM or the update. Besides, if you put both in and there's any issue, you'll wind up taking out the RAM as part of troubleshooting and having to reboot anyhow.

I'd put the RAM in first, reboot, repair permissions and make sure everything is OK. Then do the security update. I'd much rather lose "uptime" than try and fiddle with a system where a problem could be hardware or software related.

Mmmm... Security update.

Mord
Aug 1, 2006, 04:15 PM
not available for me.

it says i don't meet the requirements.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Aug 1, 2006, 04:19 PM
Security updates: Good!

Keep them coming, and make the pursuit to make some efficient malware for OS X even harder... :)

arkhanjel
Aug 1, 2006, 04:19 PM
Is it a good idea to install this update at the same time as my new 2GB RAM installation? I hate to ruin my uptime, by rebooting twice.

i would probably do the ram first and reboot, this way if you have any problems with the ram you'll be sure its the ram and not the security update.

arkhanjel
Aug 1, 2006, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't do both at the same time. Although unlikely, in the event that something goes wrong on the system, it would be better to know if the cause is the RAM or the update. Besides, if you put both in and there's any issue, you'll wind up taking out the RAM as part of troubleshooting and having to reboot anyhow.

I'd put the RAM in first, reboot, repair permissions and make sure everything is OK. Then do the security update. I'd much rather lose "uptime" than try and fiddle with a system where a problem could be hardware or software related.

Mmmm... Security update.

wow same thought same time. you were just faster!

satty
Aug 1, 2006, 04:21 PM

Mmmm... Security update.

I agree. Never change multiple important things at the same time.
Additional you won't loose more than 5 minutes uptime anyway, so WFC.

michaelrjohnson
Aug 1, 2006, 04:23 PM
I agree with arkhanjel and FoxyKaye, i would probably do the ram first and reboot, this way if you have any problems with the ram you'll be sure its the ram and not the security update.

PS: Who cares about uptime? What the heck difference does it make?...I hate to ruin my uptime, by rebooting twice...

Willis
Aug 1, 2006, 04:26 PM
5.5Mb download... done in about 1 minute... updated and running smooth

fenixx
Aug 1, 2006, 04:37 PM
8.5mb... up + running.

IEatApples
Aug 1, 2006, 04:40 PM
No problems here.
:) :) :)

iTwitch
Aug 1, 2006, 04:42 PM

What lose 30 minutes uptime, I'd be yelling out a window. :D

reckless_0001
Aug 1, 2006, 04:46 PM
It made my system crash after reboot. No problem though. I found out it was because of an old installation of Netware I didn't completely remove. Good Ole' Logs.

aegisdesign
Aug 1, 2006, 04:49 PM
I'd put the RAM in first, reboot, repair permissions and make sure everything is OK.

You win the prize for first to suggest repairing permissions. :D

FoxyKaye
Aug 1, 2006, 04:54 PM
You win the prize for first to suggest repairing permissions. :D
LOL - you say that, but I'm always surprised by how many people simply don't. Apple certainly doesn't tell the everyday user that repairing permissions is a regular part of system maintenance.

Keep them coming, and make the pursuit to make some efficient malware for OS X even harder... :)
It has always been my experience that the most efficient piece of malware on OS X is the end user.

xsedrinam
Aug 1, 2006, 05:09 PM
Kaye, keep repairing those permissions. After running Security Updates or any newly installed app, I always repair and run MacJanitor "por si las moscas". :)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Aug 1, 2006, 05:11 PM
It has always been my experience that the most efficient piece of malware on OS X is the end user.He-he... I know what you mean... I've yet to see any virus or other malware do as much damage to any system as an ignorant user with admin rights, no matter what system you're talking about, Windows, Mac OS, Linux or whatever... :D

SC68Cal
Aug 1, 2006, 05:12 PM
I wonder what the update to OpenSSH was. I would update just for that fix.

Leondunkleyc
Aug 1, 2006, 05:18 PM

SC68Cal
Aug 1, 2006, 05:23 PM
Still has not fixed this:

http://www.security-protocols.com/sp-x31-advisory.php

TIFF images seem to be a boon for Apple right now, just going over the bugs they fixed, and then this one that has not been fixed yet.

p0intblank
Aug 1, 2006, 05:24 PM
Installed and running fine! :)

shawnce
Aug 1, 2006, 05:36 PM
LOL - you say that, but I'm always surprised by how many people simply don't. Apple certainly doesn't tell the everyday user that repairing permissions is a regular part of system maintenance.

Actually I think his point was that running the repair permissions tool is more vodo then any real help (in most current situations)... and that is why Apple doesn't recommend it as part of system maintenance.

review (http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000410.php) among others (because I don't care to list the reasons)

(from the above link)

Now let's see what some very silly people are saying about repairing permissions and why it is flat out wrong.

7) Repair Permissions

8) Install Mac OS X 10.x.x update

9) Repair Permissions

Ugh. This is the one that annoys me the most and the reason why I wanted to write this rant. When 10.3.9 came out, I saw this all over on just about every single Mac related website. This really boils my blood. First we have the completely bizarre suggesting of repairing permissions before installing an update. Useless. When you install a system update (or pretty much any updater using Installer.app) you are asked for your password. This makes the installer process run as root. Wrong permissions, bad permissions, no permissions, it doesn't matter. root is god. It doesn't care about what some small little file has as its permissions. It will just ignore them completely. *chortles demonically* You can't stop root. Repairing permissions won't increase the chances of the install succeeding (nor will it decrease the changes). Point nine is equally as baffling. As the installer is installing/updating files it also reset the permissions to those that will be in the receipt that the repair permissions process reads from. You just installed these files, they are going to have the correct permissions.

brepublican
Aug 1, 2006, 05:38 PM
About time!

Sidenote: And what's the deal with .Mac?

JZ Wire
Aug 1, 2006, 05:40 PM
Installed and no prob here. Not that I expected any. ;)

Willis
Aug 1, 2006, 05:42 PM

OpenSSH

CVE-ID: CVE-2006-0393

Available for: Mac OS X v10.4.7, Mac OS X Server v10.4.7

Impact: When remote login is enabled, remote attackers may cause a denial of service or determine whether an account exists

Description: Attempting to log in to an OpenSSH server ("Remote Login") using a nonexistent account causes the authentication process to hang. An attacker can exploit this behavior to detect the existence of a particular account. A large number of such attempts may lead to a denial of service. This update addresses the issue by properly handling attempted logins by nonexistent users. This issue does not affect systems prior to Mac OS X v10.4. Credit to Rob Middleton of the Centenary Institute (Sydney, Australia) for reporting this issue.

2wheeler
Aug 1, 2006, 05:43 PM

Version 3.8.1pl to 4.2p1

bigmc6000
Aug 1, 2006, 05:53 PM
Actually I think his point was that running the repair permissions tool is more vodo then any real help (in most current situations)... and that is why Apple doesn't recommend it as part of system maintenance.

review (http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000410.php) among others (because I don't care to list the reasons)

(from the above link)

Actually, I don't think I'll ever repair the premissions on my PB. The only times I've EVER had problems with my (or my moms) Mac is when I did that. Also, note that the disk repair function in the utility will mess up your HD too. I really have no idea why those are even options - they just make things worse... In my experience anyway.

Macmaniac
Aug 1, 2006, 05:57 PM
Hey has anyone taken a good look at the Security update to see if there are any hidden packages for yet unreleased Macs or Mac Software?

shawnce
Aug 1, 2006, 06:00 PM
Also, note that the disk repair function in the utility will mess up your HD too. If you ran disk repair and it "messed up your HD" then either the file system on your hard drive was in a very degraded state (you may have not run across it yet in your normal usage) and/or the HD itself was failing (surface defect, head failure, etc.).

I know of only one bug in disk repair that could cause problems (trying to recall the specifics...).

In other words it is far more likely that disk repair exposes hardware failures or highly damaged file systems when it runs then introduce failures itself.

gnasher729
Aug 1, 2006, 06:00 PM

Impact: When remote login is enabled, remote attackers may cause a denial of service or determine whether an account exists

Description: Attempting to log in to an OpenSSH server ("Remote Login") using a nonexistent account causes the authentication process to hang. An attacker can exploit this behavior to detect the existence of a particular account. A large number of such attempts may lead to a denial of service. This update addresses the issue by properly handling attempted logins by nonexistent users. This issue does not affect systems prior to Mac OS X v10.4. Credit to Rob Middleton of the Centenary Institute (Sydney, Australia) for reporting this issue.

bigmc6000
Aug 1, 2006, 06:05 PM
If you ran disk repair and it "messed up your HD" then either the file system on your hard drive was in a very degraded state (you may have not run across it yet in your normal usage) and/or the HD itself was failing (surface defect, head failure, etc.).

I know of only one bug in disk repair that could cause problems (trying to recall the specifics...).

In other words it is far more likely that disk repair exposes hardware failures or highly damaged file systems when it runs then introduce failures itself.

Well all I can tell you is that before I ran it it was working fine - after I ran it my HD died and not even the data recovery people could rescue my data. So it obviously did something considering data recovery couldn't even get the volume to mount...

Stridder44
Aug 1, 2006, 06:07 PM

Are you kidding? You're worried about rebooting twice? Dude come on. You're telling us that you think uptime is more important than a security update, or having to reboot twice? God forbid you have to restart 3 times.

shawnce
Aug 1, 2006, 06:08 PM
Well all I can tell you is that before I ran it it was working fine - after I ran it my HD died and not even the data recovery people could rescue my data. So it obviously did something considering data recovery couldn't even get the volume to mount...

...it exercised you disk such that it failed from a preexisting condition (if recovery folks couldn't get anything back then either they sucked or the HD platter was severely damaged).

It is unlikely it was the cause of the problem, it only exposed it.

lazyrighteye
Aug 1, 2006, 06:08 PM
Just curious: anyone know if there is any connection (real or imagined) of Apple releasing updates (be it Security or OS) that foreshadow new product(s)?

I do seem to recall this being the case, at times, in the past.

Guess I'm just Jonesin' for that full fledged video iPod and/or mobile phone dealio.

Move along...

shawnce
Aug 1, 2006, 06:11 PM
Just curious: anyone know if there is any connection (real or imagined) of Apple releasing updates (be it Security or OS) that foreshadow new product(s)? Operating system point updates are often required in order for new product support (provides a means to distribute new platform experts in the kernel).

Security updates will likely never be used for that.

jeff303
Aug 1, 2006, 06:14 PM
Are you kidding? You're worried about rebooting twice? Dude come on. You're telling us that you think uptime is more important than a security update, or having to reboot twice? God forbid you have to restart 3 times.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic

Stridder44
Aug 1, 2006, 06:27 PM

Sorry Im at work and my sarcasm detector is low on batteries. My bad :p

spicyapple
Aug 1, 2006, 06:32 PM
Too bad you couldn't detect my gender. ;) And no I was not being sarcastic, but it came off as such. I need to improve my writing skills. :eek: :o

bousozoku
Aug 1, 2006, 06:33 PM
not available for me.

it says i don't meet the requirements.

What about your computer? ;)

shawnce
Aug 1, 2006, 06:39 PM
Too bad you couldn't detect my gender. ;)

Just don't type with such a deep voice next time. :D

jonharris200
Aug 1, 2006, 06:57 PM
Updated smoothly.

bigmc6000
Aug 1, 2006, 07:00 PM
...it exercised you disk such that it failed from a preexisting condition (if recovery folks couldn't get anything back then either they sucked or the HD platter was severely damaged).

It is unlikely it was the cause of the problem, it only exposed it.

I'm sure if I ran my car at red line the whole time that it would fail - does that mean there's a problem with my car?

ifjake
Aug 1, 2006, 07:03 PM
Weird thing happened when it wouldn't restart or shutdown until I relaunched the Finder after installing the update. The general awesomeness of my computer, however, seems unaffected.

shelterpaw
Aug 1, 2006, 07:08 PM
15in AI didn't reboot properly. On reboot it was stuck in the black for a few minutes. I waited and waited, but nothing happened. Pressed the start button and tried again, but same thing happened. After three tries I pulled the plug, popped out the battery and unplugged my usb mouse. It then booted unusually fast and everything seems great.

shawnce
Aug 1, 2006, 07:09 PM
I'm sure if I ran my car at red line the whole time that it would fail - does that mean there's a problem with my car?
Bad analogy... but if you want to use analogies...

It is like running your car's engine with to little oil and only taking it for limited trips and then one day taking it on a long trip only to have the engine seize on you. The long trip wasn't the problem the preexisting lack of oil was.

bigmc6000
Aug 1, 2006, 07:16 PM
Bad analogy... but if you want to use analogies...

It is like running your car's engine with to little oil and only taking it for limited trips and then one day taking it on a long trip only to have the engine seize on you. The long trip wasn't the problem the preexisting lack of oil was.

My point is that I didn't need to EVER take it on long trip, disk utility made it do something that I never do. Regardless of it there was a pre-existing condition it made my HD perform irregullarly and thus exposed an otherwise unknown error.

To use a better analogy, it took my car that I will never take above 90 to about 110 and ran it there for a while. Mechanically speaking you are going to see a lot more stress and maintenance issues running at 110 than you are at 90...

Your turn ;)

slimflem
Aug 1, 2006, 07:23 PM
i would probably do the ram first and reboot, this way if you have any problems with the ram you'll be sure its the ram and not the security update.

good call.

SiliconAddict
Aug 1, 2006, 07:34 PM

Must...avoid...temptation....to leap....through....screen

ARRRRGH. Who gives a crap about uptime. My MBP takes all of 20 seconds to boot. I've horrified my Mac friends when I tell them OS X generally doesn't stay up for even 24 hours. Windows to OS X....OS X to Windows. Boot time smoot time.

OK OT. Patches. WOO HOO!

ifjake
Aug 1, 2006, 07:59 PM
yeah if you're going to reboot once, rebooting the second time doesn't really mean much as far as uptime goes. the damage was done on the first one.

kainjow
Aug 1, 2006, 08:55 PM
Soon we'll hear about a kid who committed suicide because his mom broke his X days of uptime by accidentally unplugging his computer.... :p

shelterpaw
Aug 1, 2006, 08:57 PM
Soon we'll hear about a kid who committed suicide because his mom broke his X days of uptime by accidentally unplugging his computer.... :p and then the movie. UPTIME

Analog Kid
Aug 1, 2006, 09:04 PM
Must...avoid...temptation....to leap....through....screen
ARRRRGH. Who gives a crap about uptime.
I had the same reaction, but it's possible she's running a server where it's not just the little "uptime" number she's interested in as a novelty, but the true uptime of her server and the services on it.

It if it a server, then reboot it twice and play it safe...

My point is that I didn't need to EVER take it on long trip, disk utility made it do something that I never do. Regardless of it there was a pre-existing condition it made my HD perform irregullarly and thus exposed an otherwise unknown error.

To use a better analogy, it took my car that I will never take above 90 to about 110 and ran it there for a while. Mechanically speaking you are going to see a lot more stress and maintenance issues running at 110 than you are at 90..
You'll see the stress and maintenance issues sooner at 110, but you'll see them eventually at 90. If you never take the long trip, then it will fail after many short trips to the grocery store.

I don't know whether disk repair FUBAR'd your disk or not, maybe it did, but don't go on thinking that ignoring little bits of disk damage is fine as long as you don't push it real hard... The longer your disk is at risk, the more data it collects and the more you loose when the whole house of cards collapses because of a mechanical or logical failure.

Repair permissions is meant as a cleanup tool for badly behaved, third party applications. John's Killer Tetris sets global permissions on your home directory so it can write it's high score file, and repair permissions sets it back.

Personally, my take is that if running repair permissions before or after an update makes any difference at all, then Apple messed up their installer.

They are either overwriting files, deleting files, or adding files. In any of those cases, they have control over the files' permissions and should get it right the first time.

If Apple really thought this was a necessary, or even advisable, step they'd include it in the install script themselves-- like they do for prebinding optimization.

That said, if you find that you have less problems by running it than you do by not running it, by all means do so...

ammon
Aug 1, 2006, 09:30 PM
Well my PPC installation went just fine! One reboot and I was up and rockin!

Lixivial
Aug 1, 2006, 09:44 PM
Wow. This update totally hit my MacBook hard.

I did my normal procedure (I do not repair permissions before hand, but this has never, ever been a problem in my four or five years of working with OS X), although I was playing with Speakable Items as I was downloading.

The "Speakable Items Server" process hung and froze, so I had to kill it via Activity Monitor. After downloading the update from Software Update, I received an error saying that it could not decompress package and to try again. I tried two times more with the same error and then tried to restart. It hung on shutdown and, giving it 15 minutes, I power buttoned it.

It would not boot, so I ran all the standard procedures: Unplugged all devices, disk/perm repair, hardware diagnostics, etc to no avail -- I booted into verbose mode (I also attempted single-user mode) and it hung on IOBluetoothHCIController::start Idle Timer Stopped and then "Load of /sbin/launchd, errno 88"

Anyroad, after removing the Bluetooth kexts (which did nothing), I booted off the DVD, went to terminal, cURL'd the package and installed manually. This all worked just fine and I'm up and running. At least I did learn that the MacBook does not contain an Intel version of wget. :(

That was a bit frightening because, while I know others who have, I've never encountered a problem with installing an update in OS X before. It wasn't painful, just a bit... frightening. I'm glad to see my experience was isolated. My iMac updated quite smoothly, too. :)

jcrowe
Aug 1, 2006, 09:52 PM

OpenSSH

CVE-ID: CVE-2006-0393

Available for: Mac OS X v10.4.7, Mac OS X Server v10.4.7

cbstottle
Aug 1, 2006, 10:17 PM
After restart mine froze at the grey apple and spinning bar loop (anyone with a better name?). Held the on button until shutdown, then restarted. No problems after that. I did a restart after just to make sure all was well.

treblah
Aug 1, 2006, 10:38 PM
Everything's kosher on my MBP.

CubaTBird
Aug 1, 2006, 10:49 PM
Everything here works out swell. ;)

runplaysleeprun
Aug 1, 2006, 10:51 PM
After restart, my soundsticks are making a funny whinney noise not fixed by disconnecting the USB, or completely unplugging the iSub, disconnecting the power. Never happened before now, only after restart.

edit: spontaneously healed. schweet.

sonictonic
Aug 1, 2006, 11:04 PM
After restart, my soundsticks are making a funny whinney noise not fixed by disconnecting the USB, or completely unplugging the iSub, disconnecting the power. Never happened before now, only after restart.

edit: spontaneously healed. schweet.

In your sig you have 4 Macs listed. It would be helpful if you told us which one had the problem!

:D

After G
Aug 1, 2006, 11:04 PM
All's well (so far) on my Mac mini (intel). Mac mini users, update without fear! :D

Though anecdotal evidence only gets you so far ...

my overclocked eMac did fine too, for those who have eMacs. :cool:

aswitcher
Aug 1, 2006, 11:12 PM
All fine here.

boncellis
Aug 1, 2006, 11:29 PM
OK - Here's the requisite security update, now it's time for the iLife and other basic updates that usually precede the release of a new machine...

Of course, this time it's a little anticlimactic inasmuch as the Mac Pro was all but announced to be debuted this month. Here's hoping there's something unexpected in the pipeline. ;)

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 1, 2006, 11:54 PM
You failed to consider that the "downtime" of rebooting twice takes away precious seconds one can spend reading/posting on message boards! :p

iFry
Aug 2, 2006, 12:18 AM
so has anyone noticed any real differences w the update?

Westside guy
Aug 2, 2006, 01:03 AM
What lose 30 minutes uptime, I'd be yelling out a window. :D

Just a quick explanation - uptime is the time the machine has been running since it was last rebooted. As soon as you reboot, uptime goes back to zero. So you're not losing a few minutes of uptime; rebooting generally is costing you days or weeks of uptime. Here's mine, right after updating:

$ uptime
10:50pm up 0:11, 0 users, load average: 0.34, 0.33, 0.26

The unnatural fascination some Unix geeks have with uptime is mind-boggling; and I'm sorry to see it cross over to some OS X folks. I've seen one particular sysadmin (fortunately no longer a co-worker) waste hours trying to figure out convoluted ways to avoid a reboot that'd take up maybe 5 minutes of his time.

After our boss discovered just how far behind we usually were on our kernel updates (gee, wonder how he found out about that?), that sort of thing mostly stopped. :p

Snowy_River
Aug 2, 2006, 01:48 AM
Just a quick explanation - uptime is the time the machine has been running since it was last rebooted. As soon as you reboot, uptime goes back to zero. So you're not losing a few minutes of uptime; rebooting generally is costing you days or weeks of uptime.

I think the point was that if he has to reboot in any event (for installing RAM or doing the security update), then rebooting again couldn't cost him any more than a few minutes of uptime. So, while the initial reboot might kill his uptime of days or weeks, another won't do much damage at all.

For the record, mine is at 3 days 9 hr 36 min. I haven't installed the patch yet... ;)

netdog
Aug 2, 2006, 01:50 AM
Very slow boot after installation on a MB. Don't know if that will continue to be the case.

Snide
Aug 2, 2006, 03:45 AM

Safari seems a bit snappier.

wizz0bang
Aug 2, 2006, 04:27 AM
Soon we'll hear about a kid who committed suicide because his mom broke his X days of uptime by accidentally unplugging his computer.... :p

Change that to "XXX" days of "_UP_time" and it has a whole new meaning...

Willis
Aug 2, 2006, 05:26 AM
Very slow boot after installation on a MB. Don't know if that will continue to be the case.

Its always a slow boot after an update. Its one time only :o

Willis
Aug 2, 2006, 05:30 AM

my boot time has shaved a second or two off. It feels snapier too. *this is on the iMac by the way, so any improvement is normally noticed lol*

As for uptime.... longest I've had on was a week, but I dont make a special effort to keep an eye on it. With the weather we've had recently *rain, thunder* I like my computers off at night and when im not home.

BoyBach
Aug 2, 2006, 05:34 AM
Repaired permissions, just over 1 minute to download, rebooted, repaired permissoins again, and no problems :)

apikoros
Aug 2, 2006, 07:14 AM
Repaired permissions, just over 1 minute to download, rebooted, repaired permissoins again, and no problems :)

Ditto, on a 20" Intel iMac running 10.4.7. Reboot slightly longer than usual, no big deal.

bigmc6000
Aug 2, 2006, 07:36 AM
You'll see the stress and maintenance issues sooner at 110, but you'll see them eventually at 90. If you never take the long trip, then it will fail after many short trips to the grocery store.

I don't know whether disk repair FUBAR'd your disk or not, maybe it did, but don't go on thinking that ignoring little bits of disk damage is fine as long as you don't push it real hard... The longer your disk is at risk, the more data it collects and the more you loose when the whole house of cards collapses because of a mechanical or logical failure.

My question is what is the point of disk repair. Has it ever done anything useful for anyone? As I said before the only times I've had problems with either mine or my moms mac is when I used that stuff. Also, I'm not saying it didn't have some problem - but it would have been nice to still have the data recoverable from a professional Apple Certified data rescue service...

rubberduck007
Aug 2, 2006, 07:42 AM
wooo hooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it crashed my Lisa!!!! :rolleyes:

runplaysleeprun
Aug 2, 2006, 08:16 AM
In your sig you have 4 Macs listed. It would be helpful if you told us which one had the problem!

:D

Ah, very sorry. It was the PB.

MacRy
Aug 2, 2006, 08:19 AM
After the update my bluetooth icon has moved place to be after my username for some odd reason. Anyone else get that?

Edit: Turned off the option for 'Show bluetooth status in the menu bar' and back on again and it appears in the right place now. Strange that - it has never swapped places before when i've rebooted. A well, no biggie.

JasonDawg18
Aug 2, 2006, 09:18 AM
Since i updated, my dock now is VERY slow in responding. Any thoughts? I'll scroll the mouse down to the dock, and sometimes it comes up, other times it doesn't. Then, if it does come up, it may or may not move left to right...

Weird...

After the update my bluetooth icon has moved place to be after my username for some odd reason. Anyone else get that?

Edit: Turned off the option for 'Show bluetooth status in the menu bar' and back on again and it appears in the right place now. Strange that - it has never swapped places before when i've rebooted. A well, no biggie.

Here's a silly trick I just found out. You can rearrange those icons on the top menu bar by Command+Clicking and dragging... It used to really frustrate me!

MacRy
Aug 2, 2006, 09:22 AM
Here's a silly trick I just found out. You can rearrange those icons on the top menu bar by Command+Clicking and dragging... It used to really frustrate me!

I'd forgotten about that one! Thanks for reminding me :)

shadowmoses
Aug 2, 2006, 09:23 AM
Super fast reboot on MacBook see sig.....No problems thus far bring on 10.4.8!!!

ShadoW

dosser
Aug 2, 2006, 09:59 AM
In the security prefs "Disable automatic login" is now selected after update install - seems the same for the 4 Macs I have run the update on!
Anyone else?

morespce54
Aug 2, 2006, 10:56 AM
...At least I did learn that the MacBook does not contain an Intel version of wget. :(

What do you mean "no Intel version of wget" ???

Cali_Man
Aug 2, 2006, 11:37 AM
Just installed this last night on my G4 Powerbook, and I've been having trouble keeping Xcode running this morning. Anyone else notice this?

vespax
Aug 2, 2006, 11:40 AM
Downloaded the security update this afternoon. After shuting down and restarting later in the evening, I now can not connect to the internet. I can't seem to get an ip address from my ISP over my airport. Anyone have this problem and can you suggest a fix.

The airport is still working fine with my windoze working right now on the internet. This has left my iBook helpless since mail, safari, ichat can't connect.

Using 10.3.9 Thanks.

iMeowbot
Aug 2, 2006, 11:45 AM
What do you mean "no Intel version of wget" ???
wget is not preinstalled with OS X on either platform, Apple seem to prefer curl.

artifex
Aug 2, 2006, 12:13 PM
At least I did learn that the MacBook does not contain an Intel version of wget. :(

Didn't have to fink (http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/wget) hard about the solution to this one :)

Also, is it just me, or are the security updates getting scarier? I don't mean the frequency, but for simple things like buffer overflows, keys that are world-readable, etc. How was this stuff missed before release?

DavidCar
Aug 2, 2006, 12:15 PM
Just installed this last night on my G4 Powerbook, and I've been having trouble keeping Xcode running this morning. Anyone else notice this?
Your comment is a red flag for me. I don't want to install the update and take the chance of messing up my XCode.

Qunchuy
Aug 2, 2006, 03:27 PM
ARRRRGH. Who gives a crap about uptime...
Anyone who runs a server ought to care. Those who use that server certainly do.

Kid Red
Aug 2, 2006, 05:21 PM
Can't verify yet, but iTunes will not launch after reboot. I get an empty blank error window with a flashing OK button. After pressing OK, iTunes quits.

Lixivial
Aug 2, 2006, 05:50 PM
wget is not preinstalled with OS X on either platform, Apple seem to prefer curl.

Really? Oh, wow, okay. On my PPC iMac it was already there, so I'd assumed that it was pre-packaged. I must have downloaded it myself at some point in time, as it's what I'm used to.

Anyroad, yeah, the fink link certainly is nice. The point is, at that point in time (in the command-limited Terminal from the Installer DVD) I tried what I always relied upon. Could have curl'd wget to wget the security update, I suppose. :D

apikoros
Aug 2, 2006, 06:57 PM
In the security prefs "Disable automatic login" is now selected after update install - seems the same for the 4 Macs I have run the update on!
Anyone else?

No.

the_wallcrawler
Aug 2, 2006, 11:23 PM
Downloaded the security update this afternoon. After shuting down and restarting later in the evening, I now can not connect to the internet. I can't seem to get an ip address from my ISP over my airport. Anyone have this problem and can you suggest a fix.

The airport is still working fine with my windoze working right now on the internet. This has left my iBook helpless since mail, safari, ichat can't connect.

Using 10.3.9 Thanks. I'm having a similar problem. I just got Verizon Fios installed today. After the update, my G5 iMac (10.4.7) cannot connect to my network. I can though connect to a neighbor's unsecured network.

My other two Mac's can connect to my Fios network. Any ideas?

RedTomato
Aug 3, 2006, 07:45 AM
So this updates SSH?

Maybe it will reenable chroot jails / scponly which have been broken for the last few versions of 10.4.x

I can only hope....

Apple please smile on these of us who are trying to run small servers and can't splash out on OSX Server.

estlincs
Aug 3, 2006, 10:05 AM

Using 10.3.9 Thanks.

I'm having the same problems. Using 10.3.9 G5 iMac.

When I open Internet Connect I get the rotating ball for forever until I Force Quit. The Airport says it's connected to the internet. I say I'm connected to the Airport, but it can't retrieve an ip address.

help?

chairguru22
Aug 7, 2006, 10:46 AM
i did the update and now my MacBook boots up noticebly slower. anyone else notice this?

w8ing4intelmacs
Aug 14, 2006, 06:07 PM
i did the update and now my MacBook boots up noticebly slower. anyone else notice this?

My MBP ran noticeably slower. I narrowed it down to "Witch" (a 3rd party app) and "APE" (Application Enhancer). Unfortunately, I removed both and then rebooted, so I'm not entirely sure which one was the culprit.

Anyway, working fine now.

bousozoku
Aug 14, 2006, 07:47 PM
My MBP ran noticeably slower. I narrowed it down to "Witch" (a 3rd party app) and "APE" (Application Enhancer). Unfortunately, I removed both and then rebooted, so I'm not entirely sure which one was the culprit.

Anyway, working fine now.

Using hacks like Application Enhancer will generally cause problems when the system has been changed. At least, the system still ran.