PDA

View Full Version : Quicken 2007 not Universal

MacBytes
Aug 1, 2006, 04:14 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Quicken 2007 not Universal (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060801171424)
Description:: Odd story; imagine the uproar if Adobe and Microsoft didn't bother to make the next versions of Creative Suite or Office universal...

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

nbs2
Aug 1, 2006, 04:29 PM
Does this really surprise anybody? Day late, dollar short; too little, too late; close but no cigar; Intuit Mac support...

baleensavage
Aug 1, 2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah, but that widget sounds mighty cool. Not worth $70, but a real time saver.

iriejedi
Aug 1, 2006, 05:03 PM
Does this really surprise anybody? Day late, dollar short; too little, too late; close but no cigar; Intuit Mac support...

Finally a reason to NOT upgrade to a new Intel mac!

*smirk*

:p

Some_Big_Spoon
Aug 1, 2006, 05:03 PM
Has anyone seen it running in Rosetta? Some apps are just as fast running in emulation depending on what they do and their resource needs. If it runs the same speed, then is it that big of a deal?

Adobe on the other hand........

w_parietti22
Aug 1, 2006, 05:13 PM
As far as I know, Quicken is not a very processor intensive app so it doesnt really matter.

Fiveos22
Aug 1, 2006, 05:20 PM
Has anyone seen it running in Rosetta? Some apps are just as fast running in emulation depending on what they do and their resource needs. If it runs the same speed, then is it that big of a deal?

Adobe on the other hand........

I'm using Quicken 2006 on Intel. Its ok and plenty responsive while it is open, if it could open a bit faster that would be nice. But honestly, that's not worth $70.

In fact it reminds me of the Quicken software that shipped with my Performa so many years ago. I guess there is no reason to change something so rote as a money manager.

tk421
Aug 1, 2006, 05:42 PM
As far as I know, Quicken is not a very processor intensive app so it doesnt really matter.

Agreed. It's Quicken. Who cares if it's Universal? It mostly just sits and waits for you to input information.

Nermal
Aug 1, 2006, 11:51 PM
“There is not a significant performance increase when running natively on Intel-based [Macs],”

In order to make a comment like that, they must've had a native version running to test against, yet they decided not to release it.

Lollypop
Aug 2, 2006, 12:39 AM
Quicken is one of those apps that I wish I didnt need, and only use once every few days, the fact that it isnt a UB yet wont kill me. :D

redAPPLE
Aug 2, 2006, 12:56 AM
i could sure need a money manager software. something that is intuitive, flexible and dare i say cheap? i have to manage my money, you know? ;)

shadowfax
Aug 2, 2006, 09:23 AM
“There is not a significant performance increase when running natively on Intel-based [Macs],”

In order to make a comment like that, they must've had a native version running to test against, yet they decided not to release it.
I was thinking he just lied through his teeth. but that's just me. ;)

Nermal
Aug 2, 2006, 02:37 PM
I was thinking he just lied through his teeth. but that's just me. ;)

Make no mistake, I think the same thing :)

Fearless Leader
Aug 2, 2006, 03:10 PM
does it really matter if you finiancial software runs natively. can it get much faster?

nbs2
Aug 2, 2006, 03:16 PM
While having faster speeds on financial management software is not essential, I think it goes more to the fact that they didn't do it as emblematic of their support for the OS as a whole.

agent.86
Aug 2, 2006, 11:34 PM
All you Quicken users in the US should be grateful, Quicken Australia don't even make a Mac version - at all! Never have, and from what I was told 12 months ago by a support person, they never will. Am using the US version which does the job, but no interface to any financial institutions. :-(

Detlev
Aug 5, 2006, 05:59 AM
I'm not sure about that. QuickBooks (Quickens big brother) is very processor intensive. Why would they develop two similar programs with such different processor needs?

aristobrat
Aug 5, 2006, 07:14 AM
Don't know, but I almost always have Activity Monitor running (showing the CPU usage) and Quicken doesn't make it go significantly up.