PDA

View Full Version : Beige G3 power supply jumpers

macg4
Aug 2, 2006, 08:43 AM
Im trying to switch out mobos. i want to put a desktop mobo in a minitower case. but my understanding there is a jumper that can be changed to switch between the models. Has something to do with the power supply differences if I remember correctly. anyone know where on the motherboard that would be located? in need to find it because currently using the desktop mobo in the minitower case it will not power on at all.any help would be appreciated.

GimmeSlack12
Aug 2, 2006, 08:57 AM
For what you are doing you might want to check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ That site has a load of info on modding Beige G3's. Good luck.

macg4
Aug 2, 2006, 09:12 AM
yeah i did a google and came up with this:
http://www.macgurus.com/products/motherboards/mbppcg3mini.php

hopefully this can help others here as well with the same issue

macg4
Aug 2, 2006, 09:29 AM
just found this:"The power supply used in the Power Macintosh G3 Desktop is not the same as the power supply used in the Power Macintosh G3 Minitower and Macintosh Server G3 computers.

If the logic board is installed in the Minitower/Server chassis, the power supply jumper must cover the pins marked ÁPSú. If the logic board is installed in the Desktop chassis, this jumper must cover the pins marked ÁMacú. (Replacement logic boards should come preset for the Desktop model.) When replacing the logic board, be sure to check the power supply jumper setting. If this jumper is missing or set incorrectly for the computer model, the computer will fail to boot.

These logic boards include a removable processor module, aka a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) module. This module can be replaced in the event the stock processor module fails, or to upgrade to a faster processor.

Processor modules are shipped with the appropriate jumper configuration block to place in location J16.

When replacing the processor module, you must change the processor jumper block and warranty sticker to be compatible with the processor module you are installing. Failure to install the jumper block properly will result in a unit that fails to boot.

The voltage regulator module regulates the voltage for the particular processor used in different Power Mac/Server G3 systems. The voltage regulator provides an easy way to regulate voltage without changing specific resistor values on the logic board. When you replace the logic board, you must transfer the voltage regulator from the old logic board to the new one. (Note: Always try replacing the voltage regulator to resolve power-on problems before replacing the logic board.) "

macg4
Aug 2, 2006, 01:40 PM
mystery solved i hope anyway...i will be giving it a try tonight and report back afterwards