PDA

View Full Version : 20" Cinema Display question

MacsRgr8
Mar 13, 2003, 09:58 AM
A friend of mine wants to purchase a new 20" Cinema Display. It's a lovely display, but:

Does anybody know if it will work on an ATI Rage 128 Pro (VGA + DVI) grfx card? I do know that it will work using Mac OS 9, while Apple mention that it requires Mac OS X 10.2 or higher. So I know what Apple means when they say "require" ;)

I'll be needing the DVI to ADC adapter, and 16 MB VRAM is sufficient to be able to display 24 bits colour running the optimum resolution of 1680 x 1050.

What do you think? Tnx in advance

menoinjun
Mar 13, 2003, 11:25 AM
It will not. you need a GeForce 2 or higher GPU to run the display. I have tried it. i don't remember it working in OS 9 either. I think it's a resolution thing.

I'm not sure about the Radeon, as i have one myself and I want to get a 20".

-Pete

NatronB
Mar 13, 2003, 11:32 AM
Will the 20" work with my 12" PBook? How would that work? Am I better off with something else (I wanna use a display as the TV for my bedroom)...

Thoughts?

-Nate

MacsRgr8
Mar 13, 2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by ptrauber
It will not. you need a GeForce 2 or higher GPU to run the display. I have tried it. i don't remember it working in OS 9 either. I think it's a resolution thing.

I'm not sure about the Radeon, as i have one myself and I want to get a 20".

-Pete

Tnx for the reply, man. It looks like finding a better grfx card for him.
Unlucky... but thanks again.

menoinjun
Mar 13, 2003, 11:49 AM
The 20" will not work with your 12" PB either because you have a VGA out on the PB, and the 20" requires DVI or ADC.

Sorry

Kwyjibo
Mar 13, 2003, 12:05 PM
He can get a dvi-adc converter but they are like 300 bucks hes better of with a CRty if he wants t watch tv neway. Plus he can go really big with the CRt for cheaper obviously. I know viewsonic makes a tv tuner with a VGA out something to look at.

Kwyjibo
Mar 13, 2003, 01:53 PM
Sorry Double Post.