PDA

View Full Version : WWDC 2006 Expectations

MacRumors
Aug 2, 2006, 10:48 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

American Technology Reseach analysts (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1925) provide commentary and predictions on what may come from Apple at WWDC next week.

According to the Shaw Wu, they anticipate that Apple's pro desktop will make the move to Intel, with a 70% chance that at least one of the other Mac models could see a speed bump with use of the recently released Core 2 Duo processor.

Meanwhile, new iPods are not expected due at WWDC - but instead are felt to be released in late September-October.

Apple will, of course, be featuring Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) at WWDC this year as previously reported. There has been little leaked information about the upcoming version of Mac OS X.

As always, MacRumors will provide live coverage of the WWDC Keynote which will take place Monday August 7th (http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/schedules/monday_am.html).

thejadedmonkey
Aug 2, 2006, 10:50 AM
I can't wait!
5 days to go, and I'm in need of an iPod and reallllly really really wanna get a look at this 'Leapord' thing everyone's talking about so much! So maybe I don't get my iPod, I'm still really excited. Apple's been so boring this year, with a bluetooth might mouse just about the most exciting release thus far... I have expectations Apple, don't let me dont please

Mac Fly (film)
Aug 2, 2006, 10:52 AM
Mac Pro + Cinema Display (iSight), Leopard demo, Core 2 Duo iMac & MacBook Pro. New Nano's too (more storage + bluetooth)

Long shot, iPhone + iChat 4.0 (VoiP), Mac & Windows.

shigzeo
Aug 2, 2006, 10:55 AM
as per this news of perhaps no ipod and a 70% chance of other core 2 duo update action, we have much to look forward to not only at the wwdc, but also after that. if everything were spelled out for us this conference, we would have such a dry spell till holidays or until leapard or until ultralight mac or something else. i am rather glad that apple does not update everything with the speed of a recital.

Me1000
Aug 2, 2006, 10:56 AM
not to sound like a complete and utter noob! but,
what time is the keynote supose to go on?

im very excited at thins, as its the first WWDC i knew about in advance. lol

hyperpasta
Aug 2, 2006, 10:58 AM
I like this guy. He's being reasonable. However, I'd bet that Apple does NOT update any other Macs to Core 2. Yet. Save that for Expo Paris.

You see, Apple always wants to make sure that everyone knows exactly what's in the spotlight at any given time. Right now it's the MacBook and Wireless Mighty Mouse. Before that it was the Mac mini and the iPod Hi-Fi. Before that, the MacBook Pro and iMac. Before that, the iPod nano/video.

Apple isn't going to all of a sudden roll out an OS preview, three new computers, and a new iPod.

EDIT: And oh yeah. Apple is also not going to roll out two iPods and a phone for the holiday season. I have my money on MWSF for the phone.

QCassidy352
Aug 2, 2006, 11:00 AM
Apple's been so boring this year, with a bluetooth might mouse just about the most exciting release thus far...

macbook pro? imac core duo? intel mini? macbook? :confused:

mac pro, xserve intel, leopard previews, maybe cinema displays, maybe something like a tablet that we haven't heard about.

no updates to imacs, macbooks, macbook pros, or minis. Those are minor speed bumps that will be done quietly over the coming weeks and months, not something to trumpet in a keynote.

crees!
Give us something real and with substance. These analysts... pfffft.

MacRumors... you mean you haven't uncovered anything.. anything worthly of posting besides the crap that has been spewn out over the past few months?

emotion
Apple's been so boring this year, with a bluetooth might mouse just about the most exciting release thus far...

You're kidding right...MBP, MB and Mac Minis have all come out this year!

corywoolf
Aug 2, 2006, 11:02 AM
Mac Pro + Cinema Display (iSight), Leopard demo, Core 2 Duo, iMac, MacBook Pro. New Nano's too.

Long shot, iPhone.

Probably more like: iMac Update, Mac Pro, Cinema Display update, Leopard demo, one more thing: MacBook Pro case redesign.

emotion
Aug 2, 2006, 11:02 AM
I like this guy. He's being reasonable. However, I'd bet that Apple does NOT update any other Macs to Core 2. Yet. Save that for Expo Paris.

Don't forget that apple dont just compete with themselves but other PC manufacturers now, and that release schedule would put them way behind. I expect speedbump/updated MBP and iMac at least. Probably on a random Tuesday soon.

Di9it8
Aug 2, 2006, 11:03 AM
Along with the MacPros and MacServers, WWDC could be a good place to release the iPhone :rolleyes:

danielwsmithee
Aug 2, 2006, 11:04 AM
There will be no update to the iPods yet, but they will be updated for sure before the release of Zune in October making Zune look old.

As far as other hardware updates: Mac Pro, Displays (iSight and significant price drop). The other possibilities are updated MacBook Pro or iMac. The MBP really needs it soon as the MacBook seams to be a much better value. I could see them updating it the week after quietly via the web only, as it is essentially only a processor speed-bump to the Core 2 Duo 2.33 Ghz.

shawnce
Aug 2, 2006, 11:06 AM
Woot WWDC is getting close ... just gotta pack my bags and drive up on Sunday, should be an interesting week (over 1/3 of the sessions are still marked as to be announced, historically many of those relate to new technologies).

roland.g
Aug 2, 2006, 11:09 AM
Let me get this straight. The Keynote is on Monday not Tuesday. I thought the keynote was Tuesday just like MWSF.

boncellis
Aug 2, 2006, 11:11 AM
Mac Pro + Cinema Display (iSight), Leopard demo, Core 2 Duo iMac & MacBook Pro. New Nano's too (more storage + bluetooth)

I think the iPhone is more consumer-oriented, though that hasn't meant exclusivity to MWSF as of late, so who knows. I agree with you about the Cinema Displays though, I think they could get an update--which could also mean the current models see a price drop...

It's my feeling too that the Nano will see an update before the end of the year, I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off and do a silent update (capacity) shortly after WWDC. Back to school buying has been going for a while, and it seems like Apple is taking advantage of it to clear out inventory to make way for something new.

Just like introducing new products in January--after the holiday shopping season--they could very well wait until September or October to introduce new iPods in order to get consumers to buy the current iteration one more time.

If new rumors don't start coming fast and furious, I think that means we know just about what to expect.

m-dogg
Aug 2, 2006, 11:12 AM
I'm excepting the new OS X preview, new Mac Pros and maybe updated MacBook Pros.

That's it...after all, it is just a Developers Conference, not a Mac World Expo...I think the focus will stay on the software and the tools pros are most likely to use.

whenpaulsparks
Aug 2, 2006, 11:13 AM
finally someone reasonable! so many of you flippin fools don't realize what WWDC stands for...

World wide DEVELOPER'S conference!

this is about professional stuff. in 2003, they launched the powermac g5, because developers could then write 64-bit apps. in 2004, they discussed tiger (and i think launched new pro displays) so that users could write stuff using core image and all the cool new tiger features. in 2005, they announced the transition to intel, because devs could now write stuff for the intel platform (and i don't think they really announced anything else AFAICR...). so in 2006, they are going to talk about leopard and how it relates to developers, and maybe release PROFESSIONAL products, like a mac pro or xserve.

you have got to be CRAZY to think that he's going to intro an ipod at WWDC, when MW Paris is right around the corner! MW Paris in september is pretty much ALWAYS when they intro ipods and consumer products this time of year.

edit: last year, they had a special media event around october to intro the imac g5 with isight and video ipod and did not have anything at MW Paris. this will probably be the same this year.

roland.g
Aug 2, 2006, 11:16 AM
what is the date for MW Paris?

MacBoobsPro
Aug 2, 2006, 11:16 AM
Apple's been so boring this year, with a bluetooth might mouse just about the most exciting release thus far... I have expectations Apple, don't let me dont please

Erm... did you miss the whole Intel thing? :rolleyes:

Maxiseller
Aug 2, 2006, 11:17 AM

I can't see the Cinema Displays having built in iSight. I mean sure, it's useful - but what about people who work in environments where you can't have cameras (i.e. some pros) what about people who have dual monitors etc...I can't see it being feasible.

alec
Aug 2, 2006, 11:17 AM
I know what also to expect from WWDC -- a nice stock rise! Pretty nice if you bought Apple stock recently, considering it was at $50 a month ago and now is over $67 a share....

QCassidy352
Aug 2, 2006, 11:19 AM
MW Paris in september is pretty much ALWAYS when they intro ipods and consumer products this time of year.

no, that gets said every year, and there's almost never any interesting releases there. It's not a big deal.

MacBoobsPro
Aug 2, 2006, 11:20 AM
What time is the QT stream likely to be uploaded at Apple.com?

BTW I know its not a live feed!

bwintx
Aug 2, 2006, 11:20 AM
not to sound like a complete and utter noob! but,
what time is the keynote supose to go on?

im very excited at thins, as its the first WWDC i knew about in advance. lol

1 PM EDT/10 AM PDT/17:00 GMT (http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/).

MacBoobsPro
Aug 2, 2006, 11:23 AM
I can't see the Cinema Displays having built in iSight. I mean sure, it's useful - but what about people who work in environments where you can't have cameras (i.e. some pros) what about people who have dual monitors etc...I can't see it being feasible.

If you 'can't have cameras' dont use them. It doesnt matter if they are built in. And for people with dual monitors they will have... er... oh yeh two cameras :D

cgmpowers
Aug 2, 2006, 11:23 AM
Its been my experience that after the Expo there's always something released about a month or so AFTER the expo.

In addition to that, isn't there a Paris thing in September or something in September?? I remember seeing September on a calendar somewhere that related to Apple...

Christopher Powers

Unspeaked
Aug 2, 2006, 11:24 AM

I agree with this 100%.

danielwsmithee
Aug 2, 2006, 11:24 AM
I agree with you. I do expect them to release a new smaller/cheaper iSight to mount to the displays. It will be USB based like the current built in cameras, and use the same tiny sensor. Many people do not use the current iSight because it is just too expensive and large.

daneoni
Aug 2, 2006, 11:27 AM
Realistically we're only gonna get Leopard preview (lots of it) and they'll be previewed using the new MacPros sporting woodcrest processors. We'll also get new Cinema Displays probably a new 40" version as well....powered by some SLI type graphics

MAYBE we'll see the MacBook Pros/iMac get the Core 2 Duos as well although i think these will be silently released at the end of August or we see the MacBooks sporting 2.0Ghz core duos as standard with the 15" MBP coming with 2.16 Ghz as standard and the 17" moving up to 2.33 GHz. That is it, no iPods, no iPhones. Those will happen in Apple expo and MWSF respectively.

shelterpaw
Aug 2, 2006, 11:30 AM
what about people who work in environments where you can't have cameras (i.e. some pros) what about people who have dual monitors etc...I can't see it being feasible. Just disable the ones who are not suppose to have them. Company policy. Dual monitors, well then it's either a wasted expense or it could be a feature. :P

SteveRichardson
Aug 2, 2006, 11:30 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

... with a 70% chance that at least one of the other Mac models could see a speed bump with use of the recently released Core 2 Duo processor...

Does he speculate there is a 100% chance that a current mac model will see a speed increase with a 70% chance that another model will see an increase as well, or that there is a 70% chance that one current model will see an increase with some unknown chance of another seeing an increase as well?

This could have been worded better.

whooleytoo
Aug 2, 2006, 11:34 AM
Erm... did you miss the whole Intel thing? :rolleyes:

I presume the point was, the Intel update was just putting faster processes into existing boxes (except the MacBook which got a new design), as happens every year. And many of the apps which would take the greatest benefit from the Intel chips (pro applications and games) aren't yet universal, so we've not yet seen the best of them.

I think now that Apple has a very fixed product matrix, there's less room for surprises. Apart from a brand new design, like an Apple branded PDA, an iPhone, or an inexpensive mini-tower with a fast processor and upgradable graphics card, everything else (to me, at least) is just an incremental upgrade.

hyperpasta
Aug 2, 2006, 11:36 AM
Don't forget that apple dont just compete with themselves but other PC manufacturers now, and that release schedule would put them way behind. I expect speedbump/updated MBP and iMac at least. Probably on a random Tuesday soon.

Very good point. However, I still wouldn't expect these at WWDC. Merom won't be ready until Late August/Early September anyway... but perhaps a Conroe iMac could quietly show up some tuesday in late august in one of those four little squares on the Apple homepage...

crees!
Aug 2, 2006, 11:38 AM
If you 'can't have cameras' dont use them. It doesnt matter if they are built in. And for people with dual monitors they will have... er... oh yeh two cameras :D You got it wrong. If you can't have cameras.. you CAN'T HAVE CAMERAS even if they're NOT being used. I work at a place where you can't have cellphones with cameras on the premises (i.e., the parking lot) let alone inside. Many companies with such policies will not buy displays because of such.

hyperpasta
Aug 2, 2006, 11:42 AM
If you 'can't have cameras' dont use them. It doesnt matter if they are built in. And for people with dual monitors they will have... er... oh yeh two cameras :D

Well, I disagree with the first part of your post. However, I'm sure Apple won't care and go ahead anyway! :D

As for the two-camera thing... wasn't there a rumor sometime back about how Leopard could handle dual-camera chatting? It would use the monitor/camera that the chat window was on... move the chat window to the other display, and the other camera picks up the chat!

crees!
Aug 2, 2006, 11:45 AM
As for the two-camera thing... wasn't there a rumor sometime back about how Leopard could handle dual-camera chatting? It would use the monitor/camera that the chat window was on... move the chat window to the other display, and the other camera picks up the chat! Now that sounds wicked... sort of :D

Shadow
Aug 2, 2006, 11:46 AM
Yes and Bill Gates is expected to release Vista at the same conference. Seriously, all this happening (Mac Pros, iMac Core Duo, new iPod Nanos, iPhone, new MBPs, ect) in one conference is unlikley. Mac Pros are a given, thats all I'm saying (so I dont look stupid when it doesnt happen :p).

michaelrjohnson
Aug 2, 2006, 11:47 AM
The single most thing that I'm excited for is the Leopard Preview... Nevermind that it's the only thing *confirmed*. ;) After that, anything else is just icing on the cake!:D

(Apparently, I'm easy to please!)

Shasta
Aug 2, 2006, 11:54 AM
This is a summary of what I think WWDC will be like: more can be found at a thread I unfortunately wrote right as this one was being published.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=221151

"Myths, Dreams, and Expectations"

so here we go!

Myths:
Powerbook G5
iPhone
iTablet
iPod

Dreams:
New Displays
Price Drops
Free Candy and Naked Women

Expectations:
OSX 10.5
New Hardware: Pro Macs, X Serves, MacBook Pros

My reasons for all of this can be found at the other thread

Shasta
(Sorry for the thread spamming)

cjpadlock
Aug 2, 2006, 11:57 AM
As for the camera discussion... No one has thought that maybe they would make it an option, like glossy / no glossy on the mac book. When you add to cart camera would be defult (as in the apple stores) and then a drop down menu would allow you to take it off

treblah
Aug 2, 2006, 11:58 AM
finally someone reasonable! so many of you flippin fools don't realize what WWDC stands for...

this is about professional stuff. in 2003, they launched the powermac g5, because developers could then write 64-bit apps…

And they also launched the iSight at the '03 WWDC (and gave one to everyone attending IIRC) cause we all know how developers need that. :rolleyes:

A Steve Keynote is a Steve Keynote. Call it MWSF or WWDC it doesn't matter, the press will eat it up just the same and, luckily for us, Steve knows that. :)

amanset
Aug 2, 2006, 11:58 AM
How about an official release for DashCode? I mean it is a developer's conference after all ...

And seeing as we are unlikely to see iSights built in to the display - for reasons people have stated here - how about a new version of the iSight, seeing as the old one can't be sold in Europe anymore.

Detlev
Aug 2, 2006, 12:03 PM
You got it wrong. If you can't have cameras.. you CAN'T HAVE CAMERAS even if they're NOT being used. I work at a place where you can't have cellphones with cameras on the premises (i.e., the parking lot) let alone inside. Many companies with such policies will not buy displays because of such.
Then, unless it is a pharmaceutical, national security, or some other VII, the company needs to get with the times. So called intellectual property is so last century and quite honestly patents are pretty useless in these fast changing times.

My take is that Steve will spend much time on numbers (how many units sold, how well the Intel switch is going) and then introduce the Pro Line. Expect a bit on Leopard and probably a jab at Vista. Although, that might not happen if Steve has what's-her-name out again to introduce the Universal Office. I would not be suprised if Steve has someone from Adobe out to introduce a Universal suite... for sometime in the future.

Wouldn't it be something if Apple came out with a new piece of hardware. Maybe there will be a new strategic alliance introduced.

How about an official release for DashCode? I mean it is a developer's conference after all ...

And seeing as we are unlikely to see iSights built in to the display - for reasons people have stated here - how about a new version of the iSight, seeing as the old one can't be sold in Europe anymore.
Why not? I have one in excellent condition that I don't need anymore seeing I moved over to the MacTel iMac. I'm across the pond so can I sell it to you?

shawnce
Aug 2, 2006, 12:05 PM
Let me get this straight. The Keynote is on Monday not Tuesday. I thought the keynote was Tuesday just like MWSF.

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/schedules/monday_am.html

amanset
Aug 2, 2006, 12:09 PM
Why not? I have one in excellent condition that I don't need anymore seeing I moved over to the MacTel iMac. I'm across the pond so can I sell it to you?

Due to hazardous substances contained within.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1830

Unorthodox
Aug 2, 2006, 12:09 PM
What time is the QT stream likely to be uploaded at Apple.com?

BTW I know its not a live feed!
2 hours after the keynote.

OK, I just made that up. Now that I have stated an incorrect fact, this post should get flooded with replies toting the correct answer.
I can't be avoided, watch as they fall prey to my cunning trap.
Baw ha ha.

w00t! 4 days 23 hours 51 minuets! w00t! w00!

Lone Deranger
Aug 2, 2006, 12:10 PM
Why is everybody so hung up on the Cinema Displays getting iSight or a new design?? :confused:
A much more important update would be for Apple to add HDMI support. Without this, you can forget about watching the latest Blue-Ray HD features on your display in full res. Ofcourse this means HDMI compliant Video cards too...

rand()
Aug 2, 2006, 12:14 PM
You got it wrong. If you can't have cameras.. you CAN'T HAVE CAMERAS even if they're NOT being used.

I don't think that's what the OP meant... it could be though. I think what he meant was don't use the new Apple displays, get a different brand without one built in. And at least with a desktop, you have that option.

My father-in-law can't buy one of the new Intel MacBook/MBP's simply because of the camera. He does government work occasionally, and they'll stop him at the door with anything that can behave as a camera, camphones & camlaptops included.

Maybe if they had some kind of lock-able latch that he could cover the camera and give the key to the door man... I've seen covers, but not lockable ones. That way, the agency/company can be secure knowing that the cameras have been rendered non-functional. I guess he could also simply shatter the lens, although that seems a bit extreme :-).

-rand()

greenstork
Aug 2, 2006, 12:14 PM
It seems like WWDC would be the ideal event to introduce the OS X mobile platform alongside an iPhone. Oh, and one more thing... :D

Maxiseller
Aug 2, 2006, 12:17 PM

Well...alright, if you want ;) . All i know is that places where sensitive information is important, they'll use another display.

The main point I'm not making very elegantly however is that I just don't feel that a cheap built in camera is a pro feature - and lets face it - a display starting at £550 is certainly aimed to the pro market.

I know a lot more pros who wouldn't care about the camera than those who would welcome it. Heck, lets save a bit off the price eh apple?

Stridder44
Aug 2, 2006, 12:18 PM
God I can't wait to see the new Finder/OS X developments........and MBP updates!!!!

crees!
Aug 2, 2006, 12:23 PM
Then, unless it is a pharmaceutical, national security, or some other VII, the company needs to get with the times. So called intellectual property is so last century and quite honestly patents are pretty useless in these fast changing times. Any company requiring security clearance most likely will not allow them. Mine does not. It's based on the sensitivity of the environment.

Turbojugend27
Aug 2, 2006, 12:28 PM
Meh to the Mac Cinema displays, just buy an LG (since they make them for Apple) it will be 500 dollars cheaper and have more features on it. I hope they put the new chips into the Imacs, I need a new one ASAP.

shawnce
Aug 2, 2006, 12:29 PM
Due to hazardous substances contained within.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1830

To be clear... that was for the standalone iSight camera not the embedded iSight camera's available in the iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, etc.

greenstork
Aug 2, 2006, 12:29 PM
I presume the point was, the Intel update was just putting faster processes into existing boxes (except the MacBook which got a new design), as happens every year. And many of the apps which would take the greatest benefit from the Intel chips (pro applications and games) aren't yet universal, so we've not yet seen the best of them.

I think now that Apple has a very fixed product matrix, there's less room for surprises. Apart from a brand new design, like an Apple branded PDA, an iPhone, or an inexpensive mini-tower with a fast processor and upgradable graphics card, everything else (to me, at least) is just an incremental upgrade.

You're hard to please. The Core 2 Duo isn't just any old speed bumped processor, it's a huge leap forward in processor design, similar, at least speed wise, to the jump from G4 to G5:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/core2/index.x?pg=1
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2771
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060714-7267.html

longday
Aug 2, 2006, 12:36 PM
I'm guessing since all the laptops Apple makes now have cameras built-in they're not terribly concerned about sales lost to "sensitive environments" that do not permit cameras. I'm also guessing their mostly government-affiliated and Apple still doesn't really have any considerable portion of the government (excluding education) market.

That said, here's hoping for iPhone. Treo700 is too damn expensive.

shawnce
Aug 2, 2006, 12:36 PM
Why is everybody so hung up on the Cinema Displays getting iSight or a new design?? :confused:
A much more important update would be for Apple to add HDMI support. Without this, you can forget about watching the latest Blue-Ray HD features on your display in full res. Ofcourse this means HDMI compliant Video cards too...

Actually UDI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Display_Interface) is a little more likely at least in the near future (HDMI isn't really designed for computer displays, HDMI just had to low of bandwidth for large/high DPI displays).

Unified Display Interface Technology Overview (pdf) (http://www.udisig.org/news_events/idf_s06_udisig.pdf)

Also last I read the degrading of video output resolution for non-HDMI display (actually HDCP) isn't being leveraged by content providers at this point in time (just to many HD display in the market without proper support)...

HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc players will allow content providers to set an Image Constraint Token (ICT) flag that will only output full-resolution signals using HDCP. If such a player is connected to a non-HDCP-enabled television set and the content is flagged, the player will output a downsampled 960x540p signal. Most high-definition television sets currently in use in the United States are not HDCP-capable, and this would initially negate some of the key benefits of HD-DVD and Blu-ray for those consumers. Movie studios are apparently in agreement to not include the ICT flag on any HD DVDs or Blu-ray Discs until at least 2010, or possibly even 2012.[1](source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection#Uses))

ChickenSwartz
Aug 2, 2006, 12:39 PM
You got it wrong. If you can't have cameras.. you CAN'T HAVE CAMERAS even if they're NOT being used. I work at a place where you can't have cellphones with cameras on the premises (i.e., the parking lot) let alone inside. Many companies with such policies will not buy displays because of such.

I think this is an oversight (we can call it oSight) by Apple. If you want to gain market share, especially for people who want high powered equipment. I worked in a small research for a while, like the above poster, there were NO cameras allowed including camera phones. This was a blanket policy for the whole facillity even if you had no security clearence. In this case it was required becasue they did a lot DoD research.

So, right off these new computers (iMac, MB, MBP) are not options for a facility like this to use. Additionally, anyone who works there and ever wants to bring his/her personal laptop to work is sunk too.

If was still working there I probably would have to opt for a differnt laptop.

Compared to other computer brands Macs give their customers fewer add-on options. I don't know why. I guess it makes it easier for them. But, in this case I think not making the built in iSight an option (even if it is free, like the glossy screen in the MBP) is a mistake.

amanset
Aug 2, 2006, 12:40 PM
To be clear... that was for the standalone iSight camera not the embedded iSight camera's available in the iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, etc.

Yeah I know, hence me thinking they might release a new iSight one of these days seeing as the old one can't be sold in Europe.

greenstork
Aug 2, 2006, 12:42 PM
(HDMI isn't really designed for computer displays)

I think that's kind of his point isn't it. I know I'd like to see more "media center" type features in my Mac.

Multimedia
Aug 2, 2006, 12:43 PM
WWDC 2006 SteveNote Countdown Widget (http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/developer/wwdc2006countdown.html)

So you can count down from 5 to Zero by the minute. :p

shawnce
Aug 2, 2006, 12:46 PM
I think that's kind of his point isn't it. I know I'd like to see more "media center" type features in my Mac. huh? I don't follow... his point was Apple needs to add HDMI for HD playback... 1) they don't and 2) it likely wont be HDMI (at least not for long) since HDMI doesn't cover the needs of near future computer displays.

DJMastaWes
Aug 2, 2006, 12:52 PM
w00t! 4 days 23 hours 51 minuets! w00t! w00!
*4 days, 23 hours, 07 minuets!!

Someone should make a countdown thread.

Anyway.. here are my predictions...

Expecting:
10.5 Preview (duh)
Mac Pro
MacBook Pro (with new design)
Some type of software update or new software.

Hope:
MacBook Pro
New cool software
iPod (Yea.. right)

Multimedia
Aug 2, 2006, 12:55 PM
*4 days, 23 hours, 07 minuets!!

Someone should make a countdown thread.
This is the countdown thread. Duh! ;)

vitaflo
Aug 2, 2006, 12:59 PM
I'm guessing since all the laptops Apple makes now have cameras built-in they're not terribly concerned about sales lost to "sensitive environments" that do not permit cameras. I'm also guessing their mostly government-affiliated and Apple still doesn't really have any considerable portion of the government (excluding education) market.

If you work in a sensitive environment, you most likely won't be able to have a laptop either. Taking a computer out of a secure area is a no-no.

SLCentral
Aug 2, 2006, 12:59 PM
Why is everyone so convinced that there will be significant updates to the Cinema Displays? Remember how long the non-Alu plastic displays were out? It must have been five years, while the Alu displays have been out for less then two years.

I can't see Apple making a bigger screen then 30" for desktop use. And if they were to, it would be for a multimedia center type thing, which not only is unlikely, but would never be released at WWDC. As a 30" display owner, theres no way a screen larger then 30" would be a feasible desktop display. Besides, anything larger then 30" is just too niche of a market.

Regarding a built-in iSight, I think the Pro market is just the wrong market for that. Apple has to be aware of its market, and b/c of security reasons, cameras just aren't feasible at this point.

Hell, who knows, I'm probably 100% wrong :p.

Edit: Perhaps Apple will just bump the display to be HDCP compliant. HDMI is pretty much the same as DVI, for everyone who doesn't know ;).

MacBoobsPro
Aug 2, 2006, 01:03 PM

Actually thinking about it yes you are right :o What about companies that have sensitive material etc. Still think Apple would do it though :D

gugy
Aug 2, 2006, 01:08 PM

this is about professional stuff. in 2003, they launched the powermac g5, because developers could then write 64-bit apps. in 2004, they discussed tiger (and i think launched new pro displays) so that users could write stuff using core image and all the cool new tiger features. in 2005, they announced the transition to intel, because devs could now write stuff for the intel platform (and i don't think they really announced anything else AFAICR...). so in 2006, they are going to talk about leopard and how it relates to developers, and maybe release PROFESSIONAL products, like a mac pro or xserve.

you have got to be CRAZY to think that he's going to intro an ipod at WWDC, when MW Paris is right around the corner! MW Paris in september is pretty much ALWAYS when they intro ipods and consumer products this time of year.

edit: last year, they had a special media event around october to intro the imac g5 with isight and video ipod and did not have anything at MW Paris. this will probably be the same this year.

You are right if you follow the WWDC event history.
I am pretty sure just PRO stuff at WWDC.
Ipods, Iphone, Nanos, Etc. after that, maybe at special events or at Paris Expo.
So if you are not a Professional, I would not have your hopes too high for WWDC.

gugy
Aug 2, 2006, 01:15 PM
Why is everyone so convinced that there will be significant updates to the Cinema Displays? Remember how long the non-Alu plastic displays were out? It must have been five years, while the Alu displays have been out for less then two years.

I can't see Apple making a bigger screen then 30" for desktop use. And if they were to, it would be for a multimedia center type thing, which not only is unlikely, but would never be released at WWDC. As a 30" display owner, theres no way a screen larger then 30" would be a feasible desktop display. Besides, anything larger then 30" is just too niche of a market.

Regarding a built-in iSight, I think the Pro market is just the wrong market for that. Apple has to be aware of its market, and b/c of security reasons, cameras just aren't feasible at this point.

Edit: Perhaps Apple will just bump the display to be HDCP compliant. HDMI is pretty much the same as DVI, for everyone who doesn't know ;).

Wow, I have a 30" monitor and I would not mind to have a 40" + monitor.:eek:
Seriously, I have dual monitors and I think a larger monitor would be welcome. Not maybe for dual monitor set up because it would be too large, but for a single large monitor, it would be great. Plus the use for entertainment display to watch movies and TV would be really cool.

The technology is here. I really expect Apple to come up something bigger for the Pro crowd and WWDC is the perfect event for that. Remember, people never thought the 30" would ever come up.

Regarding the design, I agree that Apple will keep the same enclosure. Is a very nice design and I don't think will change anytime soon.

As for Isight built in, I like the idea, but if you have dual monitors, seems weird to have dual Isight. I rather have the BTO option for an extra price.

shawnce
Aug 2, 2006, 01:21 PM
As a 30" display owner, theres no way a screen larger then 30" would be a feasible desktop display. Besides, anything larger then 30" is just too niche of a market. Don't think larger, think more pixels per inch (resolution independent UI (http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/GraphicsImaging/ResolutionIndependentUI.html) does need a poster child).

Now will they show up at WWDC... personally higher pixel density displays likely wont just yet (would love to be surprised however) but possibly a slight revamp of the currently display lineup (adding in iSight) isn't to far out of the realm of possibilities.

SLCentral
Aug 2, 2006, 01:30 PM
Wow, I have a 30" monitor and I would not mind to have a 40" + monitor.:eek:
Seriously, I have dual monitors and I think a larger monitor would be welcome. Not maybe for dual monitor set up because it would be too large, but for a single large monitor, it would be great. Plus the use for entertainment display to watch movies and TV would be really cool.

The technology is here. I really expect Apple to come up something bigger for the Pro crowd and WWDC is the perfect event for that. Remember, people never thought the 30" would ever come up.

Regarding the design, I agree that Apple will keep the same enclosure. Is a very nice design and I don't think will change anytime soon.

As for Isight built in, I like the idea, but if you have dual monitors, seems weird to have dual Isight. I rather have the BTO option for an extra price.

I know that everyone thought 30" would be too big before they were released, but still, 40" for a desktop screen? That's bigger then most TV's. Think about cost as well. 42" LCD's (not plasmas) run at least $3K, and are usually 1366x768. There's likely a few 1080p screens, which would be probably around $5K. Considering the 30" is 2560x1600, we're looking at something around 4000x2500 (or whatever the ratio is). That would be WAY too expensive to ever be feasible to anyone except for a SMALL percentage of people/companies.

michaelrjohnson
Aug 2, 2006, 01:33 PM

I agree with you on some of these points... however, the release of a new or majorly updated consumer device, would (in most cases) create a new development platform. And that is what this conference is for.

(I'm not predicting any of that stuff, I'm just playing devil's advocate)

Roy Hobbs
Aug 2, 2006, 01:38 PM

It does matter if they are built in or not......many government facilities adn the like will not allow ANY cameras in the building regardless if you are using them or not. More and more companies are implementing policies like this.

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 2, 2006, 01:39 PM
I am still a bit curious why the last iPod-updater had text strings such as: "t_feature_app_PHONE_APP, kPhoneSignalStrength,
clPhoneCallModel,
clPhoneCallHistoryModel,
prPhoneSettingsMenu",
if an iPhone isn't around the corner. It doesn't make sense to include that unless the iPhone is very close to be released.
Besides, wouldn't it be beneficial, in terms of new apps, to let the developers know that the iPhone was about to be released very shortly?

Agilus
Aug 2, 2006, 01:40 PM
I don't think that a camera in a Mac display is a big issue for companies, and here's why:

1. I work for a company that cares about security. We don't allow cameras in the building, with the recent exception of cell phones with cameras. The reason for the exception is because it is becoming difficult to get a cell phone without a camera. And really, these companies are almost always PC-based, so are they really big ACD purchasers?

2. In the lab, cell phones with cameras are still off limits. However, lab computers are pretty locked down with regards to software, and since you need software to use the camera, I think there are multiple easy solutions to this problem (e.g., restrict software installations, or maybe disable the camera at an OS level). It's possible that someone could bring in a laptop and do some funny business, but even that would have to be a company computer, or the user would be in serious trouble. And in the case of it being a company computer, it suffers all of the same issues of a lab equipped with non-camera-mounted monitors (or removable media for that matter).

gugy
Aug 2, 2006, 01:45 PM
I know that everyone thought 30" would be too big before they were released, but still, 40" for a desktop screen? That's bigger then most TV's. Think about cost as well. 42" LCD's (not plasmas) run at least $3K, and are usually 1366x768. There's likely a few 1080p screens, which would be probably around $5K. Considering the 30" is 2560x1600, we're looking at something around 4000x2500 (or whatever the ratio is). That would be WAY too expensive to ever be feasible to anyone except for a SMALL percentage of people/companies.

Yes, it would be expensive but some people out there and companies could afford. I bet the price would be the same when they introduced the 30" $3,500.
If you think the advantages of such a monitor for Pro people, I don't think $3,500 is so bad. The monitor would pay for itself quickly.
Bring it on Apple!

Sijmen
Aug 2, 2006, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty sure it's time for the Mac Pro. Alongside, something should happen to the Cinema Display.

The current models are
- way overpriced, especially the 20" and 23"
- the only current Apple display products (with the exception of the iPod) without have a built-in camera.

/edit:

4000x2500?!

Coolness. But you'd get tired of moving the mouse all the menu bar every time ;)

ChickenSwartz
Aug 2, 2006, 01:46 PM
How about this for WWDC:

--Talk about how great the switch to Intel is going
--Praise developers work on Universal apps
--Talk about pro software
--Sit down and preview Leopard
--Talk about new Core 2 Duo
--Oh, by the way the iMac I have been using has the new Core 2 Duo
(Conroe) in it (he seems to like to do this), shippng now
--We want our Pentium 4 Power Macs back...
--Introduce new Mac Pro (Woodcrest),
shipping now
--Talk about how transition to Intel is almost complete and will be by the end
of 2006
--Thanks for comng
One more thing...
--MBP with Core 2 Duo (to complete the Pro Line), shipping in two weeks

twoodcc
Aug 2, 2006, 01:50 PM
i can't wait!! and it's gonna be so hard buying a Macbook tomorrow and not being able to open it til the 7th!

ChickenSwartz
Aug 2, 2006, 01:52 PM
i can't wait!! and it's gonna be so hard buying a Macbook tomorrow and not being able to open it til the 7th!

Wish I could get a MBP for <$1500 then I would be in the same situation.

Sijmen
Aug 2, 2006, 01:53 PM

Ah, you're buying it at that tax-free thing right? This is a nice idea.

twoodcc
Aug 2, 2006, 01:54 PM
Ah, you're buying it at that tax-free thing right? This is a nice idea.

yeah i am. but it's going to be hard just looking at the box all day. and i already have 2GB of RAM here for it as well :o

mandis
Aug 2, 2006, 02:02 PM
How about this for WWDC:

shipping now
of 2006
--Thanks for comng weeks

Sounds pretty reasonable to me ;)

One more thing...

And I'll be on my way to the applestore... :D

Unorthodox
Aug 2, 2006, 02:08 PM
How about this for WWDC:

shipping now
of 2006
--Thanks for comng
One more thing...
I doubt the MBP will get one more thing twice in a row.
The Mac Pro is going to get the spotlight.
"The fastest Mac ever" 100 times faster than the Power Mac.
I think the MacBook Pro and the Mac Pro will switch places on your list.

I wouldn't be surprised if all that happens is Leopard previews, Mac Pros and Steve rips his shirt off and crowd surfs.

heisetax
Aug 2, 2006, 02:14 PM
macbook pro? imac core duo? intel mini? macbook? :confused:

mac pro, xserve intel, leopard previews, maybe cinema displays, maybe something like a tablet that we haven't heard about.

no updates to imacs, macbooks, macbook pros, or minis. Those are minor speed bumps that will be done quietly over the coming weeks and months, not something to trumpet in a keynote.

But minor speed bumps is all they have to talk about. Some say that going from shipping a 2.16m2.0,1.83 GHz to shipping just a 2.16 & 2.0 GHz models is a speed bump. How can that be a speed bump when the max speed is still 2.16 GHz.

Other than a OS 10.5 demo I have no expectations for WWDC. I believe that Steve Jobs is too smart to bring out a new Intel PowerMac & have people see if he will promise that they will be up to the 3 GHz speed in a year. Or did he say 2 or 3 years or was that 2 or 3 processor changes before that happens.

With Photoshop, Quark, MS Office & other Mac productive software not yet able to run natively on an Intel Mac much of the excitement for the developer & Pro user is not there.

Apple has gone too long with waiting a year for updates that anything sooner than hat will take them awhile to do again.

The only thing I'd like to see is an easy to shange hard drive & optical drive in the Intel MacBook Pro 15" & 17" models. My PowerBook will last a long time, so I can wait. I may have to do all of my operations with an external drive. I always changed my hard drive for a newer drive once or twice a year. Sometimes I just wanted a different set of programs. My 15" TI PowerBook was easy to open & change hard drives. The new Intel MacBook seems to have a good answer for this problem. Let's see if Apple can do this in the Intel MacBook Pro line as well.

Bill the TaxMan

michaelrjohnson
Aug 2, 2006, 02:14 PM
How about this for WWDC:

shipping now
of 2006
--Thanks for comng
One more thing...
Line-by-line, I think that's the most accurate prediction to date.

Grimace
Aug 2, 2006, 02:21 PM
This is a DEVELOPERS' conference!! Steve usually announces something on ONE new/updated product. You guys who are "predicting" that Apple will update everything in the lineup are asking for a let down.

ONE new thing (Mac Pro) will be announced -- speed bumps and other updates usually happen 2-4 weeks AFTER the Developers' Conference. iMacs and MacBook Pros might get bumped in early September but that's it.

JoshH
Aug 2, 2006, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if all that happens is Leopard previews, Mac Pros and Steve rips his shirt off and crowd surfs.

No, I think this is the closest so far :)

michaelrjohnson
Aug 2, 2006, 02:29 PM
But minor speed bumps is all they have to talk about.
It was the introduction of all these products that people keep referring to. IIRC, the MacBook, MacBook Pro, intel iMac, intel MacMini did not exist before January 1, 2006. All of these products were released in this calendar year.

kingtj
Aug 2, 2006, 02:40 PM
Actually, my guess is that Apple/Jobs thinks the whole idea of banning cameras from PCs in the workplace is nonsense anyway. Being a bit of a trendsetter, Apple probably will go ahead and put them in all of their products so the majority who don't mind them will reap the benefits of no-hassle video teleconferencing and so forth.

Nowdays, it's so *easy* to build a digital camera into even the smallest, most discreet places, that it's pretty much uneforceable if you're going to dictate "no cameras" in a work environment of any sort. It's just like the places that no longer allow USB flash drives or iPods to be brought in, for fear someone will steal data and take it home. You can get a USB key built into a watch with retractable USB cable, or combo pens/USB flash drives. Do you think security guards at the door will really be on top of every possibility for those?

The *real* answer has always been to only hire employees you trust, and keep them happy and fairly paid for their work - so they don't have an interest in leaking out your company's secrets.

Any company requiring security clearance most likely will not allow them. Mine does not. It's based on the sensitivity of the environment.

heisetax
Aug 2, 2006, 02:45 PM
Well, I disagree with the first part of your post. However, I'm sure Apple won't care and go ahead anyway! :D

As for the two-camera thing... wasn't there a rumor sometime back about how Leopard could handle dual-camera chatting? It would use the monitor/camera that the chat window was on... move the chat window to the other display, and the other camera picks up the chat!

With Steve Jobs having Apple quietly dhanging the built-in camera from the iSight FW model to a USB2 model, would these cameras follow & be USB. Wouldn't that mean that either 2 USB channels be used or the cameras work in a jirky or slow manner? FW400 for your iSight or built-in camera & your iPods & FW800 for your external hard drives, new SanDisk CF card reader & other Pro needs. The FW400 won't be used for these activities for new people though as all new iPods are USB only & the iSight probably will be soon.

I have my iSight camera mounted on a flexable gooseneck stand. This allows me to show what I want. The iSight runs very hot just being plugged in. It is nice being able to unplug it when it is not in use. Just shutting the camera off is not enough.

Bill the TaxMan

gallinger
Aug 2, 2006, 02:45 PM
As soon as the new macpro's are out for shipping im getting one. Im like on edge cuz I want it now. cant wait. haha

heisetax
Aug 2, 2006, 02:59 PM
Then, unless it is a pharmaceutical, national security, or some other VII, the company needs to get with the times. So called intellectual property is so last century and quite honestly patents are pretty useless in these fast changing times.

My take is that Steve will spend much time on numbers (how many units sold, how well the Intel switch is going) and then introduce the Pro Line. Expect a bit on Leopard and probably a jab at Vista. Although, that might not happen if Steve has what's-her-name out again to introduce the Universal Office. I would not be suprised if Steve has someone from Adobe out to introduce a Universal suite... for sometime in the future.

Wouldn't it be something if Apple came out with a new piece of hardware. Maybe there will be a new strategic alliance introduced.

I thought that MS said they they would have separate versions of Office for the PPC & Intel Macs. That's what I expect from them when you look bak at Office X, which was really only a side grade from OS 9 to OS 10 support. So no Universal Office, just a PPC Office & an Intel Office. Then in a year when Steve Jobs declares the PPC Mac a dead item, the PPC version will be gone.

I'd rather see an UB version as then if I do get an Intel Mac I could move the software over. But then MS couldn't sell me a new copy. Maybe a special price of $10 or so off if you purchase both versions together.

Bill the TaxMan

heisetax
Aug 2, 2006, 03:26 PM
I think this is an oversight (we can call it oSight) by Apple. If you want to gain market share, especially for people who want high powered equipment. I worked in a small research for a while, like the above poster, there were NO cameras allowed including camera phones. This was a blanket policy for the whole facillity even if you had no security clearence. In this case it was required becasue they did a lot DoD research.

So, right off these new computers (iMac, MB, MBP) are not options for a facility like this to use. Additionally, anyone who works there and ever wants to bring his/her personal laptop to work is sunk too.

If was still working there I probably would have to opt for a differnt laptop.

Compared to other computer brands Macs give their customers fewer add-on options. I don't know why. I guess it makes it easier for them. But, in this case I think not making the built in iSight an option (even if it is free, like the glossy screen in the MBP) is a mistake.

Probably the main reason for few or no options is because of the 1" thick PowerBook model. That does not leave room to add anything. The next reason is just like air conditioning in new cars. The manufacture can sell it to everyone even if they don't want it. That increases profits. They use to have an external keyboard/mouse option which is also gone. So just look at the glossy screen as being different, not the norm for Apple.

Bill the TaxMan

ChickenSwartz
Aug 2, 2006, 03:28 PM
This is a DEVELOPERS' conference!! Steve usually announces something on ONE new/updated product. You guys who are "predicting" that Apple will update everything in the lineup are asking for a let down.

ONE new thing (Mac Pro) will be announced -- speed bumps and other updates usually happen 2-4 weeks AFTER the Developers' Conference. iMacs and MacBook Pros might get bumped in early September but that's it.

I think "one" new thing will be the Core 2 Duo. This is the chip developers want in their computers: Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. I think it will be introduced in the iMac as the "Oh by the way, I have been using one during this Leopard preview" because it seems Steve likes to do that.

With all the talk that has been going on about performance/watt (the reason Mac switched to Intel) the new Merom chip will news worth a Keynote spot.

peharri
Aug 2, 2006, 03:29 PM
"So, with the new Core 2 Duo based Xserve, and Leopard's November release, this is going to be the best year for Macintosh ever. One last thing. I'd like you to take a look at this."

As Steve says this, a flunky wheels a large object covered by a black sheet onto the stage, and then departs. Steve smiles at the crowd, winks, and then lifts the sheet off with the flair of a magician. The audience goes "Woo" at what appears to be a huge, glowing, apple.

"It's really neat isn't it? The surface isn't glass, it's actually solid man-made diamond. That's right. Diamond. The light inside is generated by passing electricity through a gas field generating plasma."

Sparks appear to fly from the center of the apple - four feet high excluding stem and just as wide - to the sides, while the center flows different colours... red, blue, red again, green, white, bright bright white, the apple suddenly "turns off" but then begins to glow red again. The apple hums and occasionally crackles.

"Now, the stem of the apple is actually titanium plated, and you can reposition it in any direction you want. And, of course, it's low power, the entire apple uses less electricity than a night light. It's controlled using Airport. Let me demonstrate."

Steve walks to the computer console while the audience begins to get puzzled and restless.

"You can make the entire thing green just by clicking on a button... there"

The apple turns green, varying the shades between the very dark and the black. Lightning continues to spark from the center to the sides.

"Good for you who like granny-smiths. We can also make a golden delicious..."

...the apple turns yellow. There's a crackling noise, but it's somehow comforting.

"...or even go for red."

The apple flashes red, and then changes back to random colours. Finally, a click of a mouse, and the colours line up into stripes, reminding everyone of the classic Apple logo. There is confused applause from the audience.

"We have these in a variety of sizes. You can get this four foot model for just $399, from the Apple Store right now. Yes, we're selling it today, in sizes of 3 feet, four feet, and eight feet. Thanks for coming to see us today, see you next year!"

With that, the master salesman leaves the stage, his audience stunned.

Within minutes, the entire first run of 1,500,000 4' apples is completely sold out.

By Christmas, the entire country will have huge glowing apples in every home.

By July, 2007, apples will be exchanged as a symbol of peace. Iraqis will proudly have huge glowing apples placed on every home, symbolising the return to tranquility in that forsaken region.

In 2008, Apple will withdraw the iPod. Nobody needs it any more. Nobody wants it. A huge, useless, glowing apple will be all anyone will want.

ChickenSwartz
Aug 2, 2006, 03:33 PM
Actually, my guess is that Apple/Jobs thinks the whole idea of banning cameras from PCs in the workplace is nonsense anyway. Being a bit of a trendsetter, Apple probably will go ahead and put them in all of their products so the majority who don't mind them will reap the benefits of no-hassle video teleconferencing and so forth.

Nowdays, it's so *easy* to build a digital camera into even the smallest, most discreet places, that it's pretty much uneforceable if you're going to dictate "no cameras" in a work environment of any sort. It's just like the places that no longer allow USB flash drives or iPods to be brought in, for fear someone will steal data and take it home. You can get a USB key built into a watch with retractable USB cable, or combo pens/USB flash drives. Do you think security guards at the door will really be on top of every possibility for those?

The *real* answer has always been to only hire employees you trust, and keep them happy and fairly paid for their work - so they don't have an interest in leaking out your company's secrets.

Well until the Department of Defense starts trusting its 3rd party contractors (the citizen of the United States) this will be the rule.

No security guards can't catch every camera, but if the employees are ethical and play by the rules they will not carry these for fear of going to federal prison (if one of the device accidentally snaps a picture).

Dr_Maybe
Aug 2, 2006, 03:38 PM
In 2008, Apple will withdraw the iPod. Nobody needs it any more. Nobody wants it. A huge, useless, glowing apple will be all anyone will want.

Funny :D

<confused applause />

zoran
Aug 2, 2006, 03:39 PM
How can we get a hold of that keynote that Macrummors said will cover?

Unorthodox
Aug 2, 2006, 03:59 PM
How can we get a hold of that keynote that Macrummors said will cover?
The main page transforms, via dark magic, into a of constantly updated text portal.

Legend has it that one MR member gets sucked into the swirling portal of dark magic and is trapped in a parallel universe for eternity.
This happens once per keynote.

zoran
Aug 2, 2006, 04:01 PM
??

Unorthodox
Aug 2, 2006, 04:04 PM
??
Oh wait. Im not sure I understand the question.
What do you mean "get a hold of that keynote"?
You want to grab it?

ChickenSwartz
Aug 2, 2006, 04:07 PM
http://www.macrumorslive.com/web/

www.macrumors.com will auto redirect there, I believe.

rockthecasbah
Aug 2, 2006, 04:10 PM
i am happy that iPods "aren't expected" at WWDC, it doesn't seem the right place. We need emphasis on computers and software for them, not redesigned (or just updated) music players. xServe, Mac Pros, and hopefully redesigned exteriors of MacBook Pros, as well as lots of Leopard showing is what i hope for :)

heisetax
Aug 2, 2006, 04:47 PM

I agree with you that the 30" display is big. I disagree with you about any larger display as being too big. It may be for you but not for others. When I first starting using my 30" display besides my 23" display I thought it was big. Using it with my 17" PowerBook even makes it seem bigger. But the only thing that could hold me back from purchasing a larger display would be the need of purchasing a new computer to be able to use 2 larger screens at the same time. My 17" PowerBook can only use one. My MDD PowerMac can only use one. But that is really a different question.

Many people seem to have tunnel vision when they use their computers & are or at least think they are happy with one 15" display. Others can see the need & usefulness of a larger display. At least you use a 30". But if Apple would have come out with a 32", 35" or larger display instead would you have purchased it the same as you did your 30" model? Then it would take a 40" or 45" display to be too larger.

With DualLink only able to support 3840 X 2400 & Single Link only able to support up to 1920 X 1200, there will be a natural size limitation until one of the new systems come around. The need probably isn't there yet, but a couple more size and/or reolution increases would change all of that.

How long do you think it will be before someone else says that his 45" display is all the larger anyone would ever need, so why make one larger? Whan I sold computers many thought that the 17" CRT was too larger, why go larger than 15"?

Bill the TaxMan

Leondunkleyc
Aug 2, 2006, 05:07 PM

iMikeT
Aug 2, 2006, 05:21 PM
What isn't new?

This is what I think:

-Financial report
-Update report of Macs using Intel processors
-Update report of universal applications
-Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) preview

One more thing......

-Mac Pro (Intel powered PowerMac) announced. Will ship with Woodcrest. Will ship early-mid September.

-(Very slim chance of announcement) Intel powered Xserve

Multimedia
Aug 2, 2006, 05:47 PM
How can we get a hold of that keynote that Macrummors said will cover?If history is any reliable bellwether, Apple Will Post a QT Video Stream of the entire SteveNote By 6PM, Probably Sooner. :)

carlos700
Aug 2, 2006, 06:16 PM
I do not expect MacBook Pros because Intel Core 2 Duo for notebooks has not been announced yet.

SLCentral
Aug 2, 2006, 06:20 PM
I agree with you that the 30" display is big. I disagree with you about any larger display as being too big. It may be for you but not for others. When I first starting using my 30" display besides my 23" display I thought it was big. Using it with my 17" PowerBook even makes it seem bigger. But the only thing that could hold me back from purchasing a larger display would be the need of purchasing a new computer to be able to use 2 larger screens at the same time. My 17" PowerBook can only use one. My MDD PowerMac can only use one. But that is really a different question.

Many people seem to have tunnel vision when they use their computers & are or at least think they are happy with one 15" display. Others can see the need & usefulness of a larger display. At least you use a 30". But if Apple would have come out with a 32", 35" or larger display instead would you have purchased it the same as you did your 30" model? Then it would take a 40" or 45" display to be too larger.

With DualLink only able to support 3840 X 2400 & Single Link only able to support up to 1920 X 1200, there will be a natural size limitation until one of the new systems come around. The need probably isn't there yet, but a couple more size and/or reolution increases would change all of that.

How long do you think it will be before someone else says that his 45" display is all the larger anyone would ever need, so why make one larger? Whan I sold computers many thought that the 17" CRT was too larger, why go larger than 15"?

Bill the TaxMan

I completely get what you're saying. After using my 30" for a little over a year on a daily basis, when using any other system, it's VERY tough. And even when I am using my 30", I often crave even more real estate, especially when working with digital photos, but even when I'm just surfing the web.

But, at this point in time (2006), I think a 40"+ screen is just simply too large for the average deskspace. Perhaps there's a place for them in production studios, etc., but even with that market, which is already limited, cost is just too big of a factor. To make a panel @ 40" with a resolution of 3840x2400, or even smaller, would be ASTRONOMICAL. We're talking at least $6K for each display, and the power needed to run that doesn't yet exist. Even Quad-SLI on PC's are having trouble running games at native res. Imagine Motion (since we all know OS X isn't a gaming platform) at 3840x2400? The power just isn't there yet.

Now, I agree, larger screens are the way of the future. But I just don't think that future is here yet.

Then again, $20 says I'm wrong :).

ChickenSwartz
Aug 2, 2006, 06:28 PM
I do not expect MacBook Pros because Intel Core 2 Duo for notebooks has not been announced yet.

It was introduced last Thursday along with the Core 2 Duo for desktop (Merom, Conroe, and Woodcrest).

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/07/20060727103453.shtml

I believe someone quote an Intel official saying consumors should see Core 2 Duo Mobile computers by late August.

My [selfish?] logic:
Aug 7 + shipping in two weeks = late August

damienvfx
Aug 2, 2006, 06:30 PM

What rock have you been hiding under? Merom!

All I want to see is a new Macbook Pro at the WWDC, couldn't care less about the Mac Pro or Leopard

Eidorian
Aug 2, 2006, 07:09 PM
I do not expect MacBook Pros because Intel Core 2 Duo for notebooks has not been announced yet.TIME PARADOX

http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom

Morky
Aug 2, 2006, 07:24 PM
Let's face it, it's going to be pretty hard to get excited about new computer hardware from Apple going forward, at least until we see something revolutionary in display technology (Apple has some pretty wild patents pending, so this is a possibility). The machines will get faster on a regular schedule now. I think boring and predictable from the perspective of processor power increases is a welcome change in the Mac user world.

Here is what I think would be exciting from Apple:
- A cell phone that doesn't suck. Oh, and include a PDA that can run Blackberry and Palm apps, but has a better core OS and interface. Oh, and make it an iPod when you flip it over.
- Leopard is a complete mystery. They've kept the lid very tight on any news about its features and improvements. I think we will see dramatic speed increases (benefits of the new kernel API introduced in Tiger plus Intel compilers). Please, Apple, beat MS to market with a resolution-independent interface. How about developer tools that make it far easier to migrate Windows apps to the Mac - that would be huge. I mean, the Mac OS is complete; you can make it lot more performant and tweak the interface a bit, but that's about all. Apple needs to focus on developers and developer mindshare like a laser beam. As Monkeyboy Ballmer says (sweating profusely and foaming at the mouth), "DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!"
- iChat AV for Windows. They have the best consumer video conferencing software out there. Get some traction for iChat before Vista comes on the scene and its solution becomes the standard.
- iCash - Intuit has not kept up with the Windows version of Quicken (haven't seen the 2007 version) and it's just a really weak app. How about some money management software that rocks? The home market is huge for Apple and that is one of the most important apps for adult home users.
- .Mac is weak. Sorry, it just is. It seems like there is so much more they could do.

carlos700
Aug 2, 2006, 07:56 PM

All I want to see is a new Macbook Pro at the WWDC, couldn't care less about the Mac Pro or Leopard

Go to Intel's website. You will notice they only mention the Intel Core 2 Duo as a desktop processor —not a mobile processor. Merom is not officially announced or it would be listed on their website.

carlos700
Aug 2, 2006, 08:01 PM
It was introduced last Thursday along with the Core 2 Duo for desktop (Merom, Conroe, and Woodcrest).

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/07/20060727103453.shtml

I believe someone quote an Intel official saying consumors should see Core 2 Duo Mobile computers by late August.

My [selfish?] logic:
Aug 7 + shipping in two weeks = late August

I just do not see any mention of it on Intel's site. Desktop Core 2 Duos were announced 27 July.

ChickenSwartz
Aug 2, 2006, 08:58 PM
Go to Intel's website. You will notice they only mention the Intel Core 2 Duo as a desktop processor —not a mobile processor. Merom is not officially announced or it would be listed on their website.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20060727comp.htm

"Intel Corporation today unveiled 10 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo and Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme processors for consumer and business desktop and laptop PCs..."

The article later goes on to show the advantages of the Mobile PC Processor.

Merom is officially announced. They just don't say Merom.

Me1000
Aug 2, 2006, 09:10 PM
does anyone else notice that on intels site, the core2 duo is only refered to in PC's????

carlos700
Aug 2, 2006, 09:17 PM
http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20060727comp.htm

"Intel Corporation today unveiled 10 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo and Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme processors for consumer and business desktop and laptop PCs..."

The article later goes on to show the advantages of the Mobile PC Processor.

Merom is officially announced. They just don't say Merom.

You win that one. :D Although I cannot find the product page for laptop Core 2 Duos, only those for the desktop.

ChickenSwartz
Aug 2, 2006, 09:24 PM
You win that one. :D Although I cannot find the product page for laptop Core 2 Duos, only those for the desktop.

I think since they announced it so far a head of schedule, they might have those pages up and running yet.

carlos700
Aug 2, 2006, 09:30 PM
I think since they announced it so far a head of schedule, they might have those pages up and running yet.

Ok, that makes sense. I guess Conroe is the only Core 2 Duo chip that's available today. (And Woodcrest but it's marketed as Xeon 5100)

ChickenSwartz
Aug 2, 2006, 09:32 PM
does anyone else notice that on intels site, the core2 duo is only refered to in PC's????

Commercial:
"I'm a Mac," cool guy.
"And I'm a PC," dorky guy.
"And I'm a PC too." cool guy

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ It's the Touché one.

You now have to start making distiction between PC meaning running Windows and PC meaning personal computer meaning for personal use. I believe the Apple II was the first to call itself a personal computers.

Multimedia
Aug 2, 2006, 09:44 PM
You win that one. :D Although I cannot find the product page for laptop Core 2 Duos, only those for the desktop.Carlos, Intel's web site is notoriously out of date. I have never been able to find any current info on their site. Do not expect to ever rely on the Intel website for up-to-date info about themselves. :rolleyes: It is an extremely poorly designed site.

ALL the Core 2 Duo Processors are shipping including Merom Carlos.

ChickenSwartz
Aug 2, 2006, 09:50 PM
Ok, that makes sense. I guess Conroe is the only Core 2 Duo chip that's available today. (And Woodcrest but it's marketed as Xeon 5100)

Merom is also availible today.

They have been shipping them for a few weeks now. Even a a few weeks before they were introduced. Intel just says that they won't show up on the market until the end of August.

I think Apple could have their out before that. If the rumors are ture, they just have to replace the Merom chip in the assembly line in place of Yonah. They already have the computers built (more or less).

azilnik
Aug 2, 2006, 09:56 PM
Hm. Hey guys... I'm a longtime reader of MR. I always read your comments and never recall posting (Creepy, eh?)

Anyway apparently I once made an account although I don't remember.

None the less... I'm surprised at how much doubt there is about Core 2 Duos. Apple and Intel are more or less best buddies. You honestly expect Apple to not update their lineup? You don't think people will go... Hmm... Core Duo Macbook Pro... Or... Core 2 Duo Dell. Even a moron will say "2's better than 1!" Apple is KNOWN for having top of the line systems in their respective class, and now that that class is Intel processors, I have 0 doubt that Apple will introduce Core 2 Duos in it's Macbook Pros as soon as it can. The reason I say Macbook Pros is because I'm sure that Macbooks and Mac Minis will say with the Core Duos. Why? Apple needs to better differentiate their pro line from their consumer line, because right now there is not much difference between the Macbook and Macbook Pro, performance-wise (Yes I know Integrated Video, Glossy Screen, etc.) but Proc. to Proc., Almost no difference.

As for "Meroms in iMacs..." Maybe, but I doubt it. Not SOON at least. Conroes then? You guys are forgetting... Apple doesn't NEED to use it. Just because it's AVAILABLE means almost nothing. Why would they use Conroe when they simply don't need to. I don't think we'll see Conroes at all in Macs quite honestly, and I don't see any problem with that. Maybe in Intel-based Power Macs, but there's ALOT of speculation about that.

Multimedia
Aug 2, 2006, 10:17 PM
Hm. Hey guys... I'm a longtime reader of MR. I always read your comments and never recall posting (Creepy, eh?)

Anyway apparently I once made an account although I don't remember.

None the less... I'm surprised at how much doubt there is about Core 2 Duos. Apple and Intel are more or less best buddies. You honestly expect Apple to not update their lineup? You don't think people will go... Hmm... Core Duo Macbook Pro... Or... Core 2 Duo Dell. Even a moron will say "2's better than 1!" Apple is KNOWN for having top of the line systems in their respective class, and now that that class is Intel processors, I have 0 doubt that Apple will introduce Core 2 Duos in it's Macbook Pros as soon as it can. The reason I say Macbook Pros is because I'm sure that Macbooks and Mac Minis will say with the Core Duos. Why? Apple needs to better differentiate their pro line from their consumer line, because right now there is not much difference between the Macbook and Macbook Pro, performance-wise (Yes I know Integrated Video, Glossy Screen, etc.) but Proc. to Proc., Almost no difference.

As for "Meroms in iMacs..." Maybe, but I doubt it. Not SOON at least. Conroes then? You guys are forgetting... Apple doesn't NEED to use it. Just because it's AVAILABLE means almost nothing. Why would they use Conroe when they simply don't need to. I don't think we'll see Conroes at all in Macs quite honestly, and I don't see any problem with that. Maybe in Intel-based Power Macs, but there's ALOT of speculation about that.Nope. The entire line will be Core 2 Duo by Thanksgiving. MBP will get speed bump to 2.33GHz for further differentiation while MB will remain 2GHz. No logic to keep buying Core Duo processors for the same money as Core 2 or less than they bought Yonah to begin with. They are already making record profits. I doubt they will deliberately cripple mini, iMac and MB when everything is selling like hot cakes anyway. There are plenty of other ways each line differentiates from the other. To leave any line in Core Duo would be outright greedy and I dont' see Apple as having that personality trait.

I fugure it's a 50-50 chance Steve tells the developers next week they can start thinking about 64-bit optimization due to the Core 2 shift that will be complete this year.

azilnik
Aug 2, 2006, 10:22 PM
Nope. The entire line will be Core 2 Duo by Thanksgiving. MBP will get speed bump to 2.33GHz for further differentiation while MB will remain 2GHz. No logic to keep buying Core Duo processors for the same money as Core 2 or less than they bought Yonah to begin with. They are already making record profits. I doubt they will deliberately cripple mini, iMac and MB when everything is selling like hot cakes anyway. There are plenty of other ways each line differentiates from the other. To leave any line in Core Duo would be outright greedy and I dont' see Apple as having that personality trait.

I fugure it's a 50-50 chance Steve tells the developers next week they can start thinking about 64-bit optimization due to the Core 2 shift that will be complete this year.
Interesting. I see your point and quite frankly I agree, I do however believe that Apple will announce it because the chips are definately out and running, Apple wants to stay ABOVE cutting edge, so why wouldn't they announce the chips?

Multimedia
Aug 2, 2006, 10:37 PM
Interesting. I see your point and quite frankly I agree, I do however believe that Apple will announce it because the chips are definately out and running, Apple wants to stay ABOVE cutting edge, so why wouldn't they announce the chips?Yeah, what would be the best thing Steve could do Monday is to announce an across the board shift to Core 2 immediately. I don't have the courage to predict this will happen. But it would be the coolest thing in a long time if it does. :cool:

I agree with you it would make the most sense to just do it all at once instead of incrementally - esp since it's only FIVE MONTHS 'til the January 9 SF MacWorld SteveNote where the OctoCore Mac Pro will likely be added above the Quad - maybe even the Leopard release.

twoodcc
Aug 2, 2006, 11:00 PM
Nope. The entire line will be Core 2 Duo by Thanksgiving. MBP will get speed bump to 2.33GHz for further differentiation while MB will remain 2GHz. No logic to keep buying Core Duo processors for the same money as Core 2 or less than they bought Yonah to begin with. They are already making record profits. I doubt they will deliberately cripple mini, iMac and MB when everything is selling like hot cakes anyway. There are plenty of other ways each line differentiates from the other. To leave any line in Core Duo would be outright greedy and I dont' see Apple as having that personality trait.

you act like the Core Duo (Yonah) is terribly slower than Core 2 Duo (Merom), but benchmarks have showed that they are very similar in performance. i don't see the big deal about upgrading all of them now, when the current chip has plenty of power

Multimedia
Aug 2, 2006, 11:40 PM
you act like the Core Duo (Yonah) is terribly slower than Core 2 Duo (Merom), but benchmarks have showed that they are very similar in performance. i don't see the big deal about upgrading all of them now, when the current chip has plenty of powerSorry. That was not the intent of my meaning. I agree with you. But now that Core 2 are shipping, the 64-bit character of this new generation of processors will in the long term make a difference in the OS as well as in the Pro apps. There are also large energy management differences between Yonah and Merom giving the portables noticably longer battery life immediately.

twoodcc
Aug 2, 2006, 11:47 PM
Sorry. That was not the intent of my meaning. I agree with you. But now that Core 2 are shipping, the 64-bit character of this new generation of processors will in the long term make a difference in the OS as well as in the Pro apps. There are also large energy management differences between Yonah and Merom giving the portables noticably longer battery life immediately.

well i agree that 64-bit is something, but considering you can't put more than 4 GB of RAM in a Macbook now anyways, it's not going to help that much.(i know i'm just using the Macbook as an example) and by the time you need 64-bit because of software, it'll probably be time for a new computer anyways.....right?

Multimedia
Aug 3, 2006, 12:08 AM
well i agree that 64-bit is something, but considering you can't put more than 4 GB of RAM in a Macbook now anyways, it's not going to help that much.(i know i'm just using the Macbook as an example) and by the time you need 64-bit because of software, it'll probably be time for a new computer anyways.....right?Merom:

Almost Twice the Battery life - 1.67 x
Twice the L2 cache - 4MB
20% more calculations at same speed.
Same price as Yonah.

Why not have these improvements ASAP? If you want to buy a Yonah Mac for less, just go to the refurb page. They are all there. If not, the one you want will come back soon. I monitor that page regularly and everything is in the refurb cycle now including most recently the 17" MBP.

treblah
Aug 3, 2006, 12:12 AM
Merom:

Twice the Battery life.

You have said this before and it is TOTALLY WRONG if you are comparing the Merom to Yonah (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2711&p=4). The first slide is directly from Intel's Spring Developer Conference. Consistent battery does not mean 2X.

twoodcc
Aug 3, 2006, 12:14 AM
Merom:

Twice the Battery life.
Twice the L2 cache - 4MB
20% more calculations at same speed.
Same price as Yonah.

Why not have these improvements ASAP? If you want to buy a Yonah Mac for less, just go to the refurb page. They are all there. If not, the one you want will come back soon. I monitor that page regularly and everything is in the refurb cycle now.

are you trying to tell me that with Merom a macbook will get 12 hours on the same battery?

maybe 20% better, but the real-world benchmarks show that 20% is not much at all, if anything.

i'm not saying i don't want Merom, but i just don't see the big thing that Apple needs to instantly put Merom in everything that it sells that use a mobile processor.

twoodcc
Aug 3, 2006, 12:14 AM
You have said this before and it is TOTALLY WRONG if you are comparing the Merom to Yonah (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2711&p=4). The first slide is directly from Intel's Spring Developer Conference. Consistent battery does not mean 2X.

thank you for that information. sorry i was late with my response

conradzoo
Aug 3, 2006, 12:18 AM
Leopard preview.

Mac pro.
Mac book pro update.
.Mac (pro) update.
iWeb pro.

:rolleyes:

Multimedia
Aug 3, 2006, 12:20 AM
You have said this before and it is TOTALLY WRONG if you are comparing the Merom to Yonah (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2711&p=4). The first slide is directly from Intel's Spring Developer Conference. Consistent battery does not mean 2X.There is this field report on CNET. This is not info from a SLIDE. It is from a real world field test.

Video: Long-lasting Intel Core 2 Duo notebooks (http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6100051.html?part=rss&tag=6100051&subj=news)

Over 5 hours of battery life with Merom vs. 3 hours with Yonah. 1.67 X or ALMOST Twice.

To New York on Airplane from San Francisco, Yonah PC battery died over Illinois while same size Merom PC battery made it all the way to New York City with power to spare. So I am RIGHT NOT WRONG. You are uninformed. :eek:

Chundles
Aug 3, 2006, 12:23 AM
There is a field report I can't find the link now. From New York on Airplane, Yonah PC battery died over Chicago while same size Merom PC battery made it all the way to LA. So I am RIGHT NOT WRONG. :eek:

Wow, measuring battery life by cities. Sounds amazingly scientific. I'm gonna say "You're wrong" just because you cited such a field report. That's disgraceful... :o

treblah
Aug 3, 2006, 12:27 AM
There is this field report on CNET. This is not info from a SLIDE. It is from a real world field test.

Video: Long-lasting Intel Core 2 Duo notebooks (http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6100051.html?part=rss&tag=6100051&subj=news)

Over 5 hours of battery life with Merom vs. 3 hours with Yonah.

From New York on Airplane, Yonah PC battery died over Chicago while same size Merom PC battery made it all the way to LA. So I am RIGHT NOT WRONG. :eek:

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/intel/intel-core-2-duo-laptops-last-5-hours-in-cross-country-flight-191002.php

Flying West to East means leaving SF and arriving in NYC. :rolleyes:

Please tell me I'm wrong again.

Multimedia
Aug 3, 2006, 12:30 AM
Wow, measuring battery life by cities. Sounds amazingly scientific. I'm gonna say "You're wrong" just because you cited such a field report. That's disgraceful... :oTwo reporters sitting next to each other with same Notebooks Except For The Processor. Doing the same things. One makes it to 3 hours while the other makes it to 5 hours. Did you watch the video on my revised post with the link to it? These guys were at the Core 2 Duo launch last week. You gonna call them liars?

What's with all the anti Core 2 hostility here?

Chundles
Aug 3, 2006, 12:36 AM
You gonna call them liars?

Yeah, why not. They're liars.

And the Core 2 processor is a bad processor, it's got "2" in the name and sequels always suck.

To be honest MM, time you took a chill pill and had a nice lie-down.

aswitcher
Aug 3, 2006, 12:37 AM
Are there any new rumours about Airport Express/Extreme? Pre-N and MIMO upgrades etc?

Multimedia
Aug 3, 2006, 12:38 AM
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/intel/intel-core-2-duo-laptops-last-5-hours-in-cross-country-flight-191002.php

Flying West to East means leaving SF and arriving in NYC. :rolleyes:

Please tell me I'm wrong again.So I'm Geographically dyslexic. Are you seriously gonna give me a hard time because I got the direction backwards?

3 hours Yonah
5+ hours Merom

Much better frame rates in games. Why are you beating me up over symantics? Why do you not want to be happy this is true? :confused: :eek:

treblah
Aug 3, 2006, 12:40 AM
Two reporters sitting next to each other with same Notebooks Except For The Processor. Doing the same things. One makes it to 3 hours while the other makes it to 5 hours. Did you watch the video on my revised post with the link to it? These guys were at the Core 2 Duo launch last week. You gonna call them liars?

What's with all the anti Core 2 hostility here?

Jesus christ, did you even watch the video? They were not reporters they were Intel staffers. He even says that the CoreDuo lasted 3 hours, not your claimed 2. This isn't scientific AT ALL and I would much rather believe Intel engineers who presented the info at IDF than some random marketing drivel with absolutely no information provided on the hardware/software. :rolleyes:

Now stop claiming that dropping a Merom in a MB/MBP is going to result in two times the battery life. That is not true. And if you think it is I will make a bet with you right now.

I'm not anti Core2Duo, I'm anti disinformation.

Multimedia
Aug 3, 2006, 12:49 AM
Jesus christ, did you even watch the video? They were not reporters they were Intel staffers. He even says that the CoreDuo lasted 3 hours, not your claimed 2. This isn't scientific AT ALL and I would much rather believe Intel engineers who presented the info at IDF than some random marketing drivel with absolutely no information provided on the hardware/software. :rolleyes:

Now stop claiming that dropping a Merom in a MB/MBP is going to result in two times the battery life. That is not true. And if you think it is I will make a bet with you right now.

I'm not anti Core2Duo, I'm anti disinformation.1.67 x 3 = 5

1.67 rounded UP = 2

Almost TWICE and I never wrote "two times".

Chundles
Aug 3, 2006, 12:55 AM
1.67 x 3 = 5

1.67 rounded UP = 2

TWICE

But it's perfectly acceptable to round 1.67 down too, it's half way between 1.5 and 2. Also depends on the price of a Sidcrome socket set.

I'll believe this 2x battery life bollocks when I see the results from the labs, not some chintzy marketing ploy by Intel.

treblah
Aug 3, 2006, 01:07 AM
But it's perfectly acceptable to round 1.67 down too, it's half way between 1.5 and 2. Also depends on the price of a Sidcrome socket set.

I'll believe this 2x battery life bollocks when I see the results from the labs, not some chintzy marketing ploy by Intel.

Thanks for being the voice of reason.

Multimedia, how is "twice the battery life" and "two times the battery life" different?

treblah
Aug 3, 2006, 01:18 AM
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/02/first_core-2_duo_benchmarks/

Here you go buddy.

More noteworthy than the performance result is the way the T7600 achieved the performance gain. Despite the fact that the processor is rated at a higher thermal design power than its predecessor (34 watts and 31 watts, respectively), Merom consumed slightly less power during the benchmark run. The exact system ran nine minutes or 7% longer with the Merom chip than with the Core Duo. This result is especially impressive if we consider the fact that Merom packs twice the amount of (power consuming) L2 Cache on its die: The Core 2 Duo T 7600 comes with 4 MB, while the Core Duo T2600 uses 2 MB.

GOOD GOD, 7%!!! Oh wait, that sounds pretty consistent to me. :rolleyes:

Multimedia
Aug 3, 2006, 01:18 AM

I'll believe this 2x battery life bollocks when I see the results from the labs, not some chintzy marketing ploy by Intel.It's not a "chintzy marketing ploy by Intel". It's a scientific test conducted by two Intel Marketing engineers which I always believe because Intel employees are honest people with families and friends who love them. :)

Chundles
Aug 3, 2006, 01:21 AM
It's not a "chintzy marketing ploy by Intel". It's a scientific test conducted by two Intel Marketing engineers which I always believe because Intel employees are honest people with families and friends who love them. :)

It's not scientific at all. No way in hell is it scientific. I should know, I'm a scientist, got a degree and everything.

I would expect Merom to show greater performance but with a similar battery life.

Unless.....Apple are bringing back the old modular battery compartments... :eek:

treblah
Aug 3, 2006, 01:31 AM
It's not scientific at all. No way in hell is it scientific. I should know, I'm a scientist, got a degree and everything.

:D

ReanimationLP
Aug 3, 2006, 01:37 AM
Play nice now boys and girls.

Does it really matter how much extra battery you'll get? Jeez. o.O

I'm sure you'll be able to crank out some more, but battery life all depends on real world usage more than anything else.

Now that I think about it, I'm willing to bet they will be upgraded shortly to Core 2, the mini and the iMac that is, since its socketable.

Maybe thats why the MBP Pro is not socketed, they wanted to design a new casing for the Core 2 Macbook Pros, and didnt want people
just opening they're Core 1 models and just dropping the new Core 2 into it.

Lollypop
Aug 3, 2006, 02:28 AM
Meron and battery life aside, I will be very very happy if Leopard RULES! Been playing with vista and while the bling is a bit fake it does come across as very smooth at the same time. So here is what im hoping:

Good Apple finances
Excellent intel transition
Update on UB pro apps, maybe a quick chat with MS or Adobe about their progress
Long demo of Leopard and its technologies
> btw< the macbook pro im using runs at 2.33Ghz
Intro of new version of XCode that helps game developers port games and effectively make bootcamp useless for the bulk of people :D

glassbathroom
Aug 3, 2006, 04:02 AM
I'm expecting to get frustrated with the quality of streamed video of the keynote. Yes Steve, I am sure that it is "cool stuff", but it all looks like frog spawn to me!

THX1139
Aug 3, 2006, 04:13 AM

Well good for you! :rolleyes: However, WWDC will be all about Leopard and Mac Pro... not the Macbook Pro that has already been updated.

Amazing how many people are whining for an Intel processor update when the line isn't even completed yet. Emphasis needs to be on getting desktops out ... then updating everything else.

ChickenSwartz
Aug 3, 2006, 07:09 AM
Yeah, what would be the best thing Steve could do Monday is to announce an across the board shift to Core 2 immediately. I don't have the courage to predict this will happen. But it would be the coolest thing in a long time if it does. :cool:

I agree with you it would make the most sense to just do it all at once instead of incrementally - esp since it's only FIVE MONTHS 'til the January 9 SF MacWorld SteveNote where the OctoCore Mac Pro will likely be added above the Quad - maybe even the Leopard release.

I think that would make for an impressive presentation. Steve could say the entire line is now intel and by [whenever] the entire line will be 64-bit. Preview Leopard--Apple's first 64-bit optimized OS.

I think he will want Core 2 in stus ASAP, to stay ahead of the curve. Plus, performance/watt is better <--importatnt to Mr. Jobs.

twoodcc
Aug 3, 2006, 07:19 AM
Wow, measuring battery life by cities. Sounds amazingly scientific. I'm gonna say "You're wrong" just because you cited such a field report. That's disgraceful... :o

i second that

twoodcc
Aug 3, 2006, 07:23 AM
It's not a "chintzy marketing ploy by Intel". It's a scientific test conducted by two Intel Marketing engineers which I always believe because Intel employees are honest people with families and friends who love them. :)

intel employees don't lie? please tell me you didn't just say that

Multimedia
Aug 3, 2006, 08:51 AM
I'm expecting to get frustrated with the quality of streamed video of the keynote. Yes Steve, I am sure that it is "cool stuff", but it all looks like frog spawn to me!Lately the stream has been from an HD source and looks excellent. I'm afraid your expectations will not be realized. :) You understand it will not be live and post produced for optimum quality.

Multimedia
Aug 3, 2006, 08:55 AM
> btw< the macbook pro im using runs at 2.33Ghz. :DI misunderstood the context. Sorry. It's Steve saying that in the SteveNote. My bad. :) :o

Chundles
Aug 3, 2006, 08:58 AM
How You Do Dat? :eek:

Um, surely you're not that silly.

He was giving a "SteveQuote" similar to the one from WWDC '05 along the lines of "Oh by the way if you look up here you'll see this whole presentation is running on Intel processors."

ChickenSwartz
Aug 3, 2006, 10:11 AM
Um, surely you're not that silly.

He was giving a "SteveQuote" similar to the one from WWDC '05 along the lines of "Oh by the way if you look up here you'll see this whole presentation is running on Intel processors."

I was confused as well.

Funny, I like.

bep207
Aug 3, 2006, 10:45 AM
do you think the macbook pro could get easy to switch hard drives like the macbook has? what are the odds of fitting two hard drives in say a 17" model and allowing people to carry multiple hard drives that can be easily switched via a port. like a bigger expresscard port but for hdd

Malcster
Aug 3, 2006, 10:58 AM
http://www.onedigitallife.com/2006/08/02/wwdc-2006-banner/

allegedly a banner from WWDC 2006...

oops! seen it another thread now, my bad.

deputy_doofy
Aug 3, 2006, 11:01 AM
I'm impatient now. Must... have... new MBP w/C2D.
:D

whooleytoo
Aug 3, 2006, 11:01 AM
Other than Boot Camp, the only other 'pseudo-guaranteed' Leopard feature is garbage collection in Cocoa. That won't mean much to the average user, but should be huge news for developers, assuming it's true.

ChickenSwartz
Aug 3, 2006, 11:25 AM

oops! seen it another thread now, my bad.

"Allegedly"

Or a banner for Paris Expo? Hope not.

treblah
Aug 3, 2006, 11:25 AM
How Do You Make A Yonah MBP Run @ 2.33GHz? You Don't. It's Merom Inside.

I see that you misunderstood the context of the 2.33Ghz but you are still incorrect. You can buy a 2.33Ghz Yonah today, its called the T2700. I know there are not any T2700's in a MBP but Apple could have done so if they wanted.

Now, back to your 1.67X Battery life…

Straight from a "Merom vs. Yonah" AnandTech article (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808&p=15) released earlier today:

Here there's no difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo, which in the mobile world is important. If Intel isn't going to give us any more battery life, it had better not take any away.

In our final battery life test, the Core 2 Duo T7600 actually falls behind its Core Duo counterpart by 2 minutes, but the margin of error for battery life tests is usually at least 1%, so overall battery life is essentially identical.

:)

michaelrjohnson
Aug 3, 2006, 11:55 AM
"Allegedly"

Or a banner for Paris Expo? Hope not.
They are not setting up for the Paris expo for a long time. There is no chance of this being for Paris, IMO. :)

ckeck
Aug 3, 2006, 11:56 AM
Why doesn't Apple just release a new battery?? ;)

kirk26
Aug 3, 2006, 12:00 PM

I'm keeping this for my quote. Classic!

Eidorian
Aug 3, 2006, 12:08 PM

oops! seen it another thread now, my bad.New thread for a new rumor? Page 1 or 2? :D

kirk26
Aug 3, 2006, 12:17 PM
New thread for a new rumor? Page 1 or 2? :D

Yes, It's about time MacRumors puts rumors on the front page. This has been misguided as of late.

twoodcc
Aug 3, 2006, 12:35 PM
I see that you misunderstood the context of the 2.33Ghz but you are still incorrect. You can buy a 2.33Ghz Yonah today, its called the T2700. I know there are not any T2700's in a MBP but Apple could have done so if they wanted.

Straight from a "Merom vs. Yonah" AnandTech article (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808&p=15) released earlier today:

thank you for the news :) just backs up what i was saying earlier even more :)

Supa_Fly
Aug 3, 2006, 12:43 PM
My first expectation is to see the isight in the MacBook Pros improved 1.3MP/2.0MP resolutions.

Mac Pro in some form or another.

but to see Multimedia & Teblah goto war after the keynote finishes?

... Priceless!;) :D :p

treblah
Aug 3, 2006, 12:54 PM

... Priceless!;) :D :p
:D :D :D

I'd drop him like a bad habit. :p

Just kidding, I'm a pacifist. ;)

greatm31
Aug 3, 2006, 12:56 PM
Has Apple EVER released any consumer products at WWDC? It sounds like some people are going to be in for a real dissapointment when no iphone comes out. I thought they were trying to transition from releases at big conferences anyway.

treblah
Aug 3, 2006, 12:58 PM
Has Apple EVER released any consumer products at WWDC? It sounds like some people are going to be in for a real dissapointment when no iphone comes out. I thought they were trying to transition from releases at big conferences anyway.

iSight? (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/06/20030623160609.shtml)

ChickenSwartz
Aug 3, 2006, 01:14 PM
They are not setting up for the Paris expo for a long time. There is no chance of this being for Paris, IMO. :)

I don't think so either.

When I first glanced at it I thought it was being "made." Like they were hanging it up to be sure it was corrct. I now see that it is indeed being displayed.

Multimedia
Aug 3, 2006, 07:50 PM

Straight from a "Merom vs. Yonah" AnandTech article (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808&p=15) released earlier today

OK Thank you. I was WRONG. INTEL Lied to us. Sorry. :confused: My first expectation is to see the isight in the MacBook Pros improved 1.3MP/2.0MP resolutions.

Mac Pro in some form or another.

... Priceless!;) :D :pI dont' think either one of us are feeling angry toward one another are we? I like Treblah. Why would anyone here think we want to fight? :confused:

treblah
Aug 4, 2006, 12:08 AM
I dont' think either one of us are feeling angry toward one another are we?

Absolutely not. It was just a good old fashioned conversation. And I look forward to more in the future. :)

BJNY
Aug 4, 2006, 06:08 AM
I've been hoping for months, but barely speculated by others.....

• 19" & 22" Merom-based iMacs (current iMacs already look "old" to me)
• backlit slim USB2 keyboard
• new category: home theater component-sized Conroe-based Mac (no Cube/MiniTower; Woodcrest goes into Mac Pros)

iLife, iPhone & all other rumors seem like smokescreen.

FFTT
Aug 4, 2006, 08:21 AM
As always, I'm quite conservative about any new releases.

I'm sure those that MUST buy a new computer this year will soon find themselves with empty pockets or maxed out limits on their credit cards.

I might consider a Merom based MacBook, but otherwise I'm waiting quite
a while for a new desktop.

Rev "B" quad core or octacore will be my next desktop upgrade.

Rev "A" of any release has consistantly proven to be an unwise purchase unless you can afford a new machine every 2 years.

Sijmen
Aug 4, 2006, 09:00 AM
I've been hoping for months, but barely speculated by others.....

• 19" & 22" Merom-based iMacs (current iMacs already look "old" to me)

Don't think so. Even a 23" iMac would seem more likely. See, the 17" iMac already has the 19" panel resolution, dito for 20" and 22". It would add little value.

• backlit slim USB2 keyboard

I'd say highly unlikely. As far as I remember Apple always has had one line of such accesories.

• new category: home theater component-sized Conroe-based Mac (no Cube/MiniTower; Woodcrest goes into Mac Pros)

Would be really cool, especially if it comes with Tivo functionality!

iLife, iPhone & all other rumors seem like smokescreen.

Agreed. iLife is a Januari product, and I don't think WWDC is a good time for the iPhone.

Please, ACD's!

ChickenSwartz
Aug 4, 2006, 01:18 PM
So I am planning on buying a MBP a soon or soon after they upgrade to Merom (depending on my $$ situation). BUt, I might be convinced to wait until Leopard is installed on the machines to buy.
Question:
How much will it cost to upgrade? I know that the current version of OSX is $100+ in the Apple store. Is that an upgrade, or for people still running 9? Will the upgrade be that much?

Thanks

Sky Blue
Aug 4, 2006, 01:25 PM
So I am planning on buying a MBP a soon or soon after they upgrade to Merom (depending on my $$ situation). BUt, I might be convinced to wait until Leopard is installed on the machines to buy.
Question:
How much will it cost to upgrade? I know that the current version of OSX is $100+ in the Apple store. Is that an upgrade, or for people still running 9? Will the upgrade be that much?

Thanks

$129 for everybody if it's like previous releases. There is usually no upgrade.

mikes63737
Aug 4, 2006, 01:31 PM
iSight? (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/06/20030623160609.shtml)

I think that the iSight was designed more for communication between business travelers and their families. That's what all their ads showed. :confused:

GW3
Aug 4, 2006, 09:10 PM
If Im not mistaken every KeyNote from Steve Jobs, whether at WWDC, MacWorld or any other event from Apple has been on tuesdays. Why is this one DIFFERENT. Could we see a Movie Store on Tuesday ???????

treblah
Aug 4, 2006, 11:16 PM
If Im not mistaken every KeyNote from Steve Jobs, whether at WWDC, MacWorld or any other event from Apple has been on tuesdays. Why is this one DIFFERENT. Could we see a Movie Store on Tuesday ???????

Where (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2683242#post2683242) have I (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2683240#post2683240) heard this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2683235#post2683235) before (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2683223#post2683223)? :rolleyes:

iMacZealot
Aug 4, 2006, 11:40 PM

No. Unlike your last five posts (which have all said the same things, how original) have said, most, if not all keynotes are on Mondays, with the exception of special events typically releasing new iPods. Ever thought of checking something first? it's an amazing thing to do that will prevent you from making the same embarrasing mistake five times.

Chundles
Aug 4, 2006, 11:52 PM
Question:

Thanks

There are no "Upgrade" versions of OSX, every disk is a full install.

It will most likely cost US$129 as it has in the past.

CiBoys
Aug 4, 2006, 11:55 PM
O man, so many years of waiting for a new look of what was known as the AI PowerBook. Now they aren't releasing it yet, i cross my finger. PLEASE CHANGE THE LOOK ALREADY!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: if not i'll just get an iMac :( :( :(

Chundles
Aug 5, 2006, 12:04 AM
O man, so many years of waiting for a new look of what was known as the AI PowerBook. Now they aren't releasing it yet, i cross my finger. PLEASE CHANGE THE LOOK ALREADY!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: if not i'll just get an iMac :( :( :(

It's not the AI PowerBook, it's the Al PowerBook. Big A little l, as in the chemical symbol for Aluminium. It replaced the one we call the TiBook or Titanium PowerBook.

They may change the look, they may not. Doesn't make it a bad computer - it's a dead-set ripper of a computer. Why are you so worried about how it looks?

CiBoys
Aug 5, 2006, 12:33 AM
It's not the AI PowerBook, it's the Al PowerBook. Big A little l, as in the chemical symbol for Aluminium. It replaced the one we call the TiBook or Titanium PowerBook.

They may change the look, they may not. Doesn't make it a bad computer - it's a dead-set ripper of a computer. Why are you so worried about how it looks?

it was a typo sir.. i know my elements :)

is kind of nice to have a newer look to if im getting another "Powerbook/MPB" i got my when i came to college and now i'm about to graduate, so getting totally different looking one would be nice. If not i'll just get an iMac. is time for me to get a new Mac any ways and i dont knw if i can wait till MW-Paris. btw is that near the end of september?

generik
Aug 5, 2006, 02:40 AM

Not so much the looks, it dings, it scratches, it warps, oh.. and it overheats.. enough said.

Josias
Aug 5, 2006, 03:00 AM
What I really want Apple to announce:
PowerMac (not MacPro FFS!:p )
ACD's (17, 20, 23 and 30", iSight and IR)
iPhone (http://www.floatingpears.com/garage/iPhone.jpg):rolleyes:
Leopard (iChat integration with MSN Messenger:D )
New MBP and iMac...

CiBoys
Aug 5, 2006, 04:48 AM
What I really want Apple to announce:
PowerMac (not MacPro FFS!:p )
ACD's (17, 20, 23 and 30", iSight and IR)
iPhone (http://www.floatingpears.com/garage/iPhone.jpg):rolleyes:
Leopard (iChat integration with MSN Messenger:D )
New MBP and iMac...

I just want a new MacBook Pro :D :D :D

vendettabass
Aug 5, 2006, 05:41 AM
Leopard (iChat integration with MSN Messenger )

I'd kill for this!!! I hate osx msn messenger :(!

bense27
Aug 5, 2006, 09:24 AM
I am really interested to see what this iPhone is all about. And of course Leopard.

JRM PowerPod
Aug 5, 2006, 09:49 AM
Whats the normal run of events?

3 split up segments and then one more thing

Here is what i reckon

1) Intel transition
blah blah blah, it has been quick, painless developers, developers developers. Everyone has been receptive except $#%#@@! Adobe
Intel keep giving us the chips
today we update MBP and iMac to core 2 duo

2)Talking about tranistion there are 2 products which haven't yet been transistioned
PowerMac > Mac Pro
Xserve > Xserve? Mac Serve?

Mac Pro has 3 configs
Best - Dual Xeon, 1GB 500GB 256X1800 $3299
Better - Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz 1GB 500gb 256mb X1600 $2499
Good - Core 2 Duo 2.6 1GB 250gb 256mb X1600 $1999

Xserves - All Xeons, dah

3) Leopard talk

4) One more thing
Candidates: iPhone, iPod, New Screens (may be intro'd with Mac Pro's) what ever else there could be

blakbyrd
Aug 5, 2006, 09:50 AM
My predictions:

Mac Pro and updated MacBook Pro
Intel-based Xserve
Preview of Mac OS X Leopard (10.5)
Update on iTunes and iPod sales (and Nike promotion)
Updated iTunes and Quicktime

Maybe:

Updated iPod product
New product

Glen Quagmire
Aug 5, 2006, 10:28 AM
My predictions:

* general update on how stuff is going.
* quick demo of some new development tools.
* preview of Leopard (with DVDs available to attendees).
* Mac Pro.

Possibly:

* XServe.
* New Cinema displays.

Unlikely:

* A new model Mac that slots between the iMac and Mac Pro.

Chris Bangle
Aug 5, 2006, 10:55 AM
i predict something cube shaped

Josias
Aug 5, 2006, 01:42 PM
I'd kill for this!!! I hate osx msn messenger :(!

True, and if you wanna use your iSight for other than PhotoBooth, and have videochat over MSN, you will need something even worse called aMSN, found it in a MR guide...:p

Can Adium do videchat to MSN? (with audio! There's no audio on the videochat's in aMSN:mad: :p )

bense27
Aug 5, 2006, 10:44 PM
i predict something cube shaped
to match their new store:)

blakbyrd
Aug 5, 2006, 10:49 PM
Can Adium do videchat to MSN? (with audio! There's no audio on the videochat's in aMSN:mad: :p )
You can't do video or audio chat with Adium, and won't be able to for a year or two at least. :(

I'm just hoping for some official support sooner or later with iChat or the official standalone clients. :)

treysmay
Aug 6, 2006, 12:06 AM

Here is what i reckon

1) Intel transition
blah blah blah, it has been quick, painless developers, developers developers. Everyone has been receptive except $#%#@@! Adobe

2)Talking about tranistion there are 2 products which haven't yet been transistioned
PowerMac > Mac Pro

Mac Pro has 3 configs

Xserves - All Xeons, dah

3) Leopard talk

4) One more thing
Candidates: iPhone, iPod, New Screens (may be intro'd with Mac Pro's) what ever else there could be

I completely second that.

iMacZealot
Aug 6, 2006, 03:32 AM

Here is what i reckon

1) Intel transition

PowerMac > Mac Pro

Mac Pro has 3 configs

Xserves - All Xeons, dah

3) Leopard talk

4) One more thing

I agree with a lot of this, but I think most of it will be Leopard and the "one more thing" may be in a different spot. If the new product is a screen, it will go along with the ProMac. If it is, however, somehow integrated/featured in Leopard, it will most likely come at the end, but I doubt we'd see the iPhone tomorrow because it has nothing to do with developers and I doubt a new iPod will debut for another month or two (as usual) unless if it had some new feature in Leopard.

Also, quite honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they announced that Leopard will be coming pretty early (sometime maybe in november/december.) It's happened before.

Bottom line: most of it will be a preview of Leopard; basically it will be a rerun of WWDC 2004: new displays, new ProMacs, new OS.

Spanna
Aug 6, 2006, 06:25 AM
If new monitors are introduced with built in isights, does this mean Apple will discontinue the standalone isight as all macs will now come with built in isights ? (presuming you buy Apples monitor)

netdog
Aug 6, 2006, 06:57 AM

Here is what i reckon

1) Intel transition

PowerMac > Mac Pro

Mac Pro has 3 configs

Xserves - All Xeons, dah

3) Leopard talk

4) One more thing

Strong analysis. I agree. I think there will also be a big surprise in the Leopard talk, if not more than one!

aswitcher
Aug 6, 2006, 07:03 AM
If new monitors are introduced with built in isights, does this mean Apple will discontinue the standalone isight as all macs will now come with built in isights ? (presuming you buy Apples monitor)

Its certainly possible. I hope though that they upgrade the isight to higher res for pros and include an IR receiver in it. That way I can mount it anywhere around my big TV and dont need my mac visible to use it.

Another possiblity is that they will put out a smaller model designed to be used with an iPod as well turning the ipod into a camera/video camera.

aswitcher
Aug 6, 2006, 07:22 AM
1) Intel transition

That would be a very solid step, especially if they ship soon.

I hope the iMac has its guts reconfigured to be more accesible like the early G5 was.

Also on the iMac. A wirelesskeyboard and mighty mouse option might be nice.

Also, a 500 HDD upgrade that didn't cost the earth.

A single Gig stick as standard would also be a nice step, even if only for the 20"

PowerMac > Mac Pro

Mac Pro has 3 configs

Xserves - All Xeons, dah

Seems fairly sound. i would be even happier if the low end was cheaper with slightly less speed and video. I would be immesly happy if its half as thick as the old one and has a verticle slot drive so I can lay it on its side and use it as a multimedia centre. I just wonder then where the ir reception will work(side of the slot like the mini?)

The best should come with 2GB ram as standard. But it should be well priced.

3) Leopard talk

I do wonder if they will do this earlier...

4) One more thing

I think the new screens will appear along side the Mac Pro annoucement -like you suggest.

I think the vibe for me is iPod and iPhone will be Paris, along with videom downloads.

I would really like to see a new wireless Apple Keyboard with dedicated function buttons (multimedia) or a wired one with illumination and even lcd etc.

I wonder if video over new airport expresses with hdmi out would be a goer. Again might be better for Paris or when the 802.11n standard comes out.

shadowx
Aug 6, 2006, 02:53 PM

Here is what i reckon

1) Intel transition

PowerMac > Mac Pro

Mac Pro has 3 configs

Xserves - All Xeons, dah

3) Leopard talk

4) One more thing

Mostly agree with you... except I'm thinking x1900GT/XT for the high end... possibly even a FIREGL V5200 (V7200 option?) - after all, these are pro WORKSTATIONS, not desktops. One year ago I would have completely agreed with you (Apple's usual "conservative" GPU choices) - I think times have changed...we'll see:)

Oh, and just because these products don't exist for the MAC market today doesn't mean they won't starting tomorrow... I also wouldn't discount seeing the nVidia 7600GT and 7900 GT (or even a quadro fx 1500 option w/ OSX drivers) make an appearance in place of the ATI cards...

appletastic
Aug 6, 2006, 03:18 PM
Due to the fact that the airport base station and the isight have been dropped from the apple store in the UK because of euro regulations.. I think these will both receive an update.

So Predication 1
Airport base station with built in dsl modem. To compete with the dlinks and belkins of this world.. I think the most difficult part of using a mac is getting it connected to the net. So it makes sense for apple to have a plug and play adsl modem with all the printer sharing and itunes remote speaker support.

Prediction 2
The continued integration of iSight into the line-up, so I expect to see iSight cinema screens, I also expect to see a 17inch screen to complement the mac mini with a built in iSight. iChat will receive an update with Leopard for VOIP and more integration with everything else.. There maybe a bigger screen, but I don't think this will happen.. There maybe an iSight replacement too which will have a much smaller form factor and will be usb, not firewire.

Prediction 3
No iPod announcements apart from increased sizes for the nano

Prediction 4
New Mac Pros with the same case, but with a slot loading front and bigger HD capacities and maybe more ports on the back. All intel pimped.

Prediction 5
Leopard out before Vista with Steve matching capabilities and blowing vista away...

Thats my pennies worth
Cheers
Jake

onemorething
Aug 6, 2006, 05:59 PM
anyone think apple will do anything to commemorate the 5 year anniversary of the ipod in october?

ChickenSwartz
Aug 6, 2006, 08:56 PM
anyone think apple will do anything to commemorate the 5 year anniversary of the ipod in october?

yes

_Matt
Aug 6, 2006, 11:03 PM

the sixth generation...none touch fullscreen wireless true iPod video... :eek:

oh and there's just one more thing...

iPod Inviso :p

shadowmoses
Aug 7, 2006, 02:58 AM
How about a new design pro keyboard to go with the new Mac Pro and Displays? I think its due.....

ShadoW

aswitcher
Aug 7, 2006, 02:58 AM
How about a new design pro keyboard to go with the new Mac Pro and Displays? I think its due.....

ShadoW

Pro-Keyboard would be very interesting.

Josias
Aug 7, 2006, 03:01 AM
You can't do video or audio chat with Adium, and won't be able to for a year or two at least. :(

I'm just hoping for some official support sooner or later with iChat or the official standalone clients. :)

How is iChat actually? Ya know? Compared to MSN? I discussed it with someguy yesterday, ironically over MSN:p , and he said Adium is better... How is the GUI and also userfreindlinesses?:)

Killyp
Aug 7, 2006, 04:46 AM
How is iChat actually? Ya know? Compared to MSN? I discussed it with someguy yesterday, ironically over MSN:p , and he said Adium is better... How is the GUI and also userfreindlinesses?:)

Personally, I prefer iChat over Adium.

It's a much simpler, cleaner design and it integrates with OS X perfectly.

It's very fast loading, glitch free (pretty much), and video looks fantastic!!!!

I use AIM, and I love it. MSN is terrible in comparison, and AIM on Adium aint as good as AIM on iChat IMO...

shadowmoses
Aug 7, 2006, 07:39 AM
Personally, I prefer iChat over Adium.

It's a much simpler, cleaner design and it integrates with OS X perfectly.

It's very fast loading, glitch free (pretty much), and video looks fantastic!!!!

I use AIM, and I love it. MSN is terrible in comparison, and AIM on Adium aint as good as AIM on iChat IMO...

I totally agree but the problem is all my freinds are on MSN so i can't use iChat hopefully things will change today though ;)

ShadoW

Chundles
Aug 7, 2006, 08:00 AM
I totally agree but the problem is all my freinds are on MSN so i can't use iChat hopefully things will change today though ;)

ShadoW

Same here, iChat is basically useless to me until they bring in Messenger (it's not MSN anymore) compatibility.

JoshRtek
Aug 7, 2006, 10:20 AM
Everyone has been receptive except $#%#@@! Adobe

And Avid. I'm really hoping they have the software ready to go once the new Mac Pros come out (whether it be today, or later). I can't wait to get off my freaking PC.

Multimedia
Aug 7, 2006, 01:50 PM
What a great idea. Offering ONE model that you tweak to suit your fancy. I love that they kept the old exterior and added a second optical slot. Perfect. :)