Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obligatory Fake/Real poll...

• Fake

Votes: 233 86.6%
  • Real

Votes: 36 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Since this is probably a fake and there is no "iPhone" section yet I thought I would post this here for your fake proving expertise:

ichat_mobile.jpg

and

ichat_mob2.jpg

Sorry if this is a repost but I looked around and couldn't find it.

From Engadget

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Looks waaaaaaaay too big. But I don't see any signs of photoshopping, and iChat Mobile sounds more Appleish than iPhone (c'mon....iPhone would be too cliche if Apple really was making a phone). But I really don't see anything that stands out as an obvious photoshop.

Except for one thing......where's the battery/SIM cover at?

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
yg17 said:
Looks waaaaaaaay too big. But I don't see any signs of photoshopping, and iChat Mobile sounds more Appleish than iPhone (c'mon....iPhone would be too cliche if Apple really was making a phone). But I really don't see anything that stands out as an obvious photoshop.

Except for one thing......where's the battery/SIM cover at?

It feels awkward, I agree, and while I can't see anything glaringly obvious, I don't think it can be real. Too long and the middle buttons are too small with too much space around them.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Felldownthewell said:
Since this is probably a fake and there is no "iPhone" section yet I thought I would post this here for your fake proving expertise:

ichat_mobile.jpg

and

ichat_mob2.jpg

Sorry if this is a repost but I looked around and couldn't find it.

From Engadget

That looks awesome to me... I'd love something like that... Just thing if you could use it as the Front Row remote also... That'd be awesome!!!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
iPhone = iChat Mobile? WWDC?

Engadget posts pictures of what claims to be picturing the long-rumored iPhone (titled iChat Mobile). Engadget could not verify the picture's authenticity, and the depicted phone looks like it is perhaps a photoshopped mish-mash of an Apple Remote and iSight with a keypad and display.

Engadget claims that an Apple cell phone could see a launch at WWDC. Given the most recent rumors and the fact that WWDC has traditionally been geared towards the development/professional crowd, we have doubts that Apple will in fact release the phone at the event. However, Apple has been known to offer up surprises before...

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Interesting concept, but shouldn't the camera be on the other side if it's to be used for video chat?

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
I am calling this one a fake. The camera would be very very small. Also, no S/N on the back (which Apple does on the iPod's), where's the battery compartment? They can't fit it under the keys/screen, with access from below or above. not enough room.

EDIT: I also agree with gekko on the placement of the camera.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Page 2 rumor? ;) It must be fake!

The picture and name are very plausible, but it doesn't look something that I'd want to put in my purse, since it looks scratch-prone.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
I agree with everyone else. Fake!

It doesn't look very functional at all. Awkward buttons and the camera on the wrong side, and a not-so-Apple-like interface on the screen. It really does look like several Apple products cobbled together.

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
It's fake, but isn't totally awful.

I get annoyed when people expect a ton of consumer announcements at WWDC, but I COULD see an iPhone announcement if only to announce a mobile OS software platform for which developers could write software.

But let's get real... 5% about the intel transition ("gee we did that fast!"), 15% Mac Pro, 5% XServe, and 75% Leopard. End keynote.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
its a way cool design but it's fake, not for the serial number reason, but because there are no FCC Logos. this is the best mockup by far though.

TESEV

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2006
New Orleans, LA
I think and dearly hope it is a fake. It's hidious in terms of functionality. No touch wheel, i would have some volume control on the side. Ugh.... Navigation would be so frustrating.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
A wild swing, but could it be a mobile VoIP phone? Like, take it to any WiFi hotspot and use iChat Mobile like the new Skype phones? Just a thought.

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
IMHO, the biggest fake is that the "SKEW" is off! It was clearly done in photoshop!

When are these people who produce "snapshots of posters" and other 2D items going to learn to make them in 2d, as apple would, print them out, and then take a photo of them.

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
Xander562 said:
its a way cool design but it's fake, not for the serial number reason, but because there are no FCC Logos. this is the best mockup by far though.

I thought so at first too, but aren't the FCC logos photoshopped out on Apple's large banners that get displayed in store, etc?

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
mlrproducts said:
I thought so at first too, but aren't the FCC logos photoshopped out on Apple's large banners that get displayed in store, etc?
i'm not sure,:confused: i gueess that is a possibility

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Xander562 said:

What FCC logos. Do you mean on the Box or the phone. Because my phone doesn't have FCC anything on it except on the inside where the battery lays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.