PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla 1.3

arogge
Mar 13, 2003, 05:59 PM
Mozilla 1.3 has been released -
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.3/

{
* Mozilla Mail has junk-mail classification. With some initial "training" the client can identify and segregate spam messages from good messages.
* Newsgroup filters have been implemented.
* An initial implementation of Mozilla Midas, rich text editing controls, has landed in Mozilla for 1.3.
* Image auto sizing allows a user to toggle between full-sized images and images sized to fit the browser window.
* Users can now "dynamically" switch profiles.
* Find as you type, formerly known as type ahead find, has a new preferences panel (Advanced: Keyboard Navigation).
* When installed, Chatzilla now has a normal Mozilla preferences panel.
* Mozilla 1.3 also includes fixes for performance, standards compliance and site compatibility.
}

Available for download at Mozilla.org: http://www.mozilla.org/releases/#1.3

mac15
Mar 14, 2003, 02:10 AM
*Should be in New Mac Applications

But Mozilla 1.3 flies, I really love how fast it renders. Its way quicker than Safari. And I hope Camino gets this 1.3 trunk sooner than later. The only bad thing about mozilla is how ugly it is. How about an aqua default?

littlejim
Mar 14, 2003, 05:46 AM
This version looks a hell of a lot faster on my G3-400.

Curiously, a Flash project I am working on seems to be playing *significantly* faster. Has anyone else noticed increased Flash performance or is just coincidence?

I'm impressed.

littlejim
----------

He's fallen in the water

:edit: wrong smilie!

Moxiemike
Mar 14, 2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by mac15
*Should be in New Mac Applications

But Mozilla 1.3 flies, I really love how fast it renders. Its way quicker than Safari. And I hope Camino gets this 1.3 trunk sooner than later. The only bad thing about mozilla is how ugly it is. How about an aqua default?

http://www.kmgerich.com/pinstripe/pinstripe.html

chmorley
Mar 14, 2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
http://www.kmgerich.com/pinstripe/pinstripe.html Yeah, you haven't tried this, have you? Neither Pinstripe nor Navzilla work with 1.3. It looks like they have switched to the Mach-O builds as the default--probably explaining much the speed increase, as well.

BTW, every Camino nightly since 0.7 was released is based on the 1.3 trunk. It is noticeably faster, and the initial stability hits it took (and losing aqua widgets) have been pretty much resolved.

I am impressed with the speed boost in Mozilla 1.3, though. With some tasks it actually seems faster than the latest Camino builds (which is generally faster than Safari on my TiBook).

Chris

physicsnerd
Mar 14, 2003, 03:06 PM
http://www.kmgerich.com/pinstripe/pinstripe.html

March 13, 2003

Pinstripe will not install on Mozilla 1.3 final. From the Mozilla 1.3 release notes: "On Mac OS X, XPInstall has been disabled for 1.3. This means that extensions and themes will not install for Mozilla 1.3 on Mac OS X. (bug 181293)". Earlier or later releases of Mozilla should be able to use Pinstripe.

biederman
Mar 15, 2003, 01:00 PM
Anybody know if there will be a Mozilla 1.3 for OS 8 or 9?? This doesn't appear to be an option right now...

bousozoku
Mar 15, 2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by biederman
Anybody know if there will be a Mozilla 1.3 for OS 8 or 9?? This doesn't appear to be an option right now...

v. 1.2.1 was the absolute last for anything prior to Mac OS X. It will be available for quite a while, but never again updated by them. The source code is also available for those who care to work on it.

chmorley
Mar 15, 2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by biederman
Anybody know if there will be a Mozilla 1.3 for OS 8 or 9?? This doesn't appear to be an option right now... No new Mozilla on OS 9. OS 9 is dead. Did you get the memo? It was left on your chair...

Chris

alset
Mar 15, 2003, 06:34 PM
I'm so glad to see that other browsers are still outdoing Safari. Too bad they are getting such sparse attention. It seems that Safari loyalists won't even try anything else. What happened to users who want to compare all options and help further the development of new features?

Dan

bousozoku
Mar 15, 2003, 09:23 PM
I downloaded v1.3 tonight and it feels quite good. It's nice to see that they've progressed a bit. The contributions of the back-end seem impressive. It was good to leave the previous back-end with v1.2.1. :)

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 17, 2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by chmorley
Yeah, you haven't tried this, have you? Neither Pinstripe nor Navzilla work with 1.3. It looks like they have switched to the Mach-O builds as the default--probably explaining much the speed increase, as well.

They do work with 1.3 but... you can't install them on 1.3. There was a bug of some sort and they disabled the ability to install themes, but if you upgraded to 1.3 and already had pinstripe/navzilla installed then 1.3 will use the themes just fine.

Originally posted by chmorley
BTW, every Camino nightly since 0.7 was released is based on the 1.3 trunk. It is noticeably faster, and the initial stability hits it took (and losing aqua widgets) have been pretty much resolved.

Actually i believe Camino nightlies have moved on to 1.4a code now.

chmorley
Mar 17, 2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
They do work with 1.3 but... you can't install them on 1.3. There was a bug of some sort and they disabled the ability to install themes, but if you upgraded to 1.3 and already had pinstripe/navzilla installed then 1.3 will use the themes just fine.

Actually i believe Camino nightlies have moved on to 1.4a code now. Is that right? I haven't had luck with Pinstripe. Wonder what I am doing wrong...

I didn't realize they were using the 1.4a trunk already. I remember they had written that they were updating to the 1.3 trunk, but that was shortly before 0.7 was released.

Chris