Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
We have heard many rumors of the 970 coming to the mac, If it did dont you think apple would come out with a all new enclosure for this fancy new chip? What do you think a all new powermac would or could Look like? Maybe a blown up cube???How do you surpass what has been a solid design?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Remember the difference between the blue and white G3 and the first Grey G4 tower? Not much difference, mostly superficial. Even future revisions only modified the existing design, not varying far from the same shape.

I think the same thing will happen with the G4 to IBM 970 as the G3 to G4. But as to what form the change in style will take, well, that just remains to be seen.

D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
i was at loop rumors and saw a small article saying a new case design may be coming, i would think they would do an all new design maybe, bigger to hold more ram slots? Sure they could throw a new face on the front and say here is the new powermac but i think they would do more just as they did with the imac. What about a larger cube like design? with room for expansion? the current case would be tough to beat as far as being so practicle. But apple has a habit of doing big things.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
You have a link to that page at looprumors? I couldn't find anything. There has always been a huge amount of speculation on the enclosures, with plenty of people submitting their own ideas.

I'd love to see this one.....

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
"Our sources also hinted but wouldn't confirm that the current PowerMac form factor will be the last, as the new processor will reportedly bring a new design to the Pro line."

Now that doesn't really help except to fuel the speculation fire........

Well, I'd love to be totally wrong and see a nice new design - I personally don't really like the mirrored current model.

D

nanosound

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2002
I'd love to see a smaller, slimmer, sleeker tower. Not quite a Powerbook, but one that is not necessarily so expandable for many of us that don't add drives and cards to our systems. Aluminum styling a must.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by nanosound
I'd love to see a smaller, slimmer, sleeker tower. Not quite a Powerbook, but one that is not necessarily so expandable for many of us that don't add drives and cards to our systems. Aluminum styling a must.

well, one of the biggest benefits to the PowerMac is its expandablility. If you get rid of that, well, you end up with a cube again. Maybe two versions, with the highend larger for more additional options and a small brother with one or two PCI slots instead of 4 and room for only 2 harddrives, etc.

D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Well people have been squawking for front USB/Firewire ports for a while now...I'm ambivalent on it, personally. I could also forego the second optical drive bay; how many people really need to duplicate CDs that much/often? Give me back the Zip drive option.

I love the functionality of the B&W G3 - MDD case design...as a tech, it comes in mighty handy to not have to touch a single screw, or unplug any cables to pop open a case.

So...I would say keep the current frame and make small aesthetic modifications.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
The current form function is great, any time i go in it is so easy to get at or do anything. I would keep this same design philosophy but wrap it up in something all new and striking to look at. Sure a new color case with a 970 and i would be happy, but a super cool looking all new design that is as easy to work on as my quicksilver and id be estatic. Remember those patents for color changing cases maybe here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.