PDA

View Full Version : WWDC: Leopard Features? Xserves and Mac Pros?

MacRumors
Aug 2, 2006, 02:47 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

As WWDC 2006 approaches, rumors continue to appear about what we could see at the developer's conference.

MacOSXRumors claims (http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles/2006/08/02/exclusive-leopard-to-bring-virtual-desktops-account-wide-file-syncing-and-faster-spotlight/) to have reliable information about Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) which will be demoed at the expo.

Previous rumors from the rumor site claimed collaborative features (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/06/20060609041938.shtml), and virtualization support (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/03/20060324092148.shtml). This time, the site claims that Leopard will incorporate virtual desktops, improved file syncing, and improved spotlight performance.

Meanwhile, an unconfirmed Page 2 report (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060802151736.shtml) claims that the Intel Xeon (Woodcrest) will find its way into Apple's new Xserve and top-of-the-line Mac Pro. Meanwhile, the lower-end Mac Pros will use the recently released Core 2 Duo (Conroe) chips. Other hints include a Merom update to the current line and new Leopard features, including some 3d effects.

WWDC (http://guides.macrumors.com/WWDC) kicks off on August 7th, 2006 with Steve Jobs providing the Keynote address.

Stridder44
Aug 2, 2006, 02:49 PM
Core 2 Duos in the MacBook Pros!!! Come on you know you want to damnit....

Also what's this Im hearing about 3-D effects in Leopard?

whenpaulsparks
Aug 2, 2006, 02:55 PM
i seriously effing hope it's more than improvements to file sync'ing, spotlight, and virtual desktops. that's pathetic. we need a revolutionary OS revision.

Stridder44
Aug 2, 2006, 02:58 PM
i seriously effing hope it's more than improvements to file sync'ing, spotlight, and virtual desktops. that's pathetic. we need a revolutionary OS revision.

Whatever are you talking about? Innovations such as Automator have changed my life. Food taste better. Music sounds better. The wife wants sex all the time now (Im not even married!!)

PeteyKohut
Aug 2, 2006, 02:58 PM
No Woodcrest arcoss the board in the Mac Pros? BOO HOO!!! I hope the new monitor rumor is true. I am eyeing up a nice 23" monitor to go along with my new (Woodcrest based?) Mac Pro.

michaelrjohnson
Aug 2, 2006, 02:59 PM
"Revolutionary" was the switch from OS 9 to OS X. It's unrealistic to expect that for 10.5.

But I agree, I'm hoping for more in terms of UI enhancement and consistencey, along with increased functionality in the OS and it's native apps.

Eidorian
Aug 2, 2006, 02:59 PM
No Woodcrest arcoss the board in the Mac Pros? BOO HOO!!! I hope the new monitor rumor is true. I am eyeing up a nice 23" monitor to go along with my new (Woodcrest based?) Mac Pro.A Conroe is fine too? If we get a nice lower priced Conroe tower. I have a weird feeling we're not going to see the Quad G5 go away yet.

SteveRichardson
Aug 2, 2006, 03:02 PM
pretty please merom in MBPs?

peharri
Aug 2, 2006, 03:02 PM
Apple's never shown any signs of being keen on Virtual Desktops so I'm not sure where that's coming from, especially as the "Hide/show" feature of NEXTSTEP that ended up in OS X is, arguably, slightly more useful anyway.

If they do have it, I hope it's like the Amiga's screens, with desktops opening and closing automatically rather than being permanently open. They need to be self-managing, and designed to make computing easier to understand. Traditional "multiple desktops" are a powerful feature, but I don't think they aid understandability.

fabsgwu
Aug 2, 2006, 03:03 PM
Here's hoping for Core 2 Duo iMac's, MacBook (Pro and non-pro). The battery saving/performance qualities of the Core 2 Duo are really exciting :D

As for Leopard 10.5, I hope there's some major advancements in the Finder, i.e. better and more preview options. And as for Spotlight, there's definitely a lot of room for growth, i.e. internet history ala Google Desktop.

I really like what Eric Patterson did with the Faux Leopard screenshot contest, see here: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/apple-os-x-leopard-faux-screenshot-contest-ends-in-multiple-fanboygasm-190146.php

Analog Kid
Aug 2, 2006, 03:05 PM
Apple's never shown any signs of being keen on Virtual Desktops so I'm not sure where that's coming from, especially as the "Hide/show" feature of NEXTSTEP that ended up in OS X is, arguably, slightly more useful anyway.

If they do have it, I hope it's like the Amiga's screens, with desktops opening and closing automatically rather than being permanently open. They need to be self-managing, and designed to make computing easier to understand. Traditional "multiple desktops" are a powerful feature, but I don't think they aid understandability.
Yeah, I have the same feeling. I like virtual desktops myself, but they're going to be hard to make intuitive.

I thought I'd heard something about Apple Remote being integrated into Leopard-- can't remember where though... Maybe they're getting the two concepts confused? Maybe I am?

MacVault
Aug 2, 2006, 03:06 PM

I was just going to say the EXACT same thing! You said it perfectly, whenpaulsparks! That's right, I don't want to see Steve Jobs demo some new Spotlight/Sherlock. I want to see revolutionary, fricken awsome, Vista-crushing, earth shaking features, a totally revamped and polished GUI, Enterprise features, etc. Come on Apple! Don't dissapoint me!

boncellis
Aug 2, 2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I have the same feeling. I like virtual desktops myself, but they're going to be hard to make intuitive.

I thought I'd heard something about Apple Remote being integrated into Leopard-- can't remember where though... Maybe they're getting the two concepts confused? Maybe I am?

More integration of the remote into the OS would be cool, if that's true. Leave it to Apple (or Nintendo, I suppose) to configure an ordinary remote to function in a previously unexpected manner. If Apple could create a seamless way to surf the internet with the remote (motion sensor perhaps) I think it would steal even more thunder from Vista, whenever it comes out.

SteveRichardson
actually screw merom in MBPs. I want a new enclosure AND merom. Somehow fit a DL superdrive in there.

and some kewl new stuff. that way you can just put core 2 duo chips in everything else.

bradc
I don't understand why you guys think that the Conroe isn't good enough for the 'Mac Pros'. The Conroe is an exceptionally robust processor. The lab I work in just received a Conroe powered workstation and it is doing wonders for us. Although I plan on buying a Quad 'Mac Pro', I'll be pushing the system to its limits in calculations&computations that run for days. I highly doubt most Mac Pro users would want to pay for Woodcrest when all they need is Conroe.

shelterpaw
Aug 2, 2006, 03:16 PM
I was just going to say the EXACT same thing! You said it perfectly, whenpaulsparks! That's right, I don't want to see Steve Jobs demo some new Spotlight/Sherlock. I want to see revolutionary, fricken awsome, Vista-crushing, earth shaking features, a totally revamped and polished GUI, Enterprise features, etc. Come on Apple! Don't dissapoint me!I doubt there will be a silver bullet feature that will blow away vista, but overall improvements will take OS X to the next level.

pianoman
Aug 2, 2006, 03:20 PM
I want a new enclosure AND merom. Somehow fit a DL superdrive in there.

i'd like to see some new enclosures, too. a DL superdrive might be pushing it...

i'm sure there's more to it than a revised spotlight, improved file sync'ing and virtual desktops. this is apple we're talking about. let's get realistic about our expectations while remembering this is a developer's conference and not a consumer product showcase.

brepublican
Aug 2, 2006, 03:22 PM
Throw the Core 2 Duo into the iMac. Then we'll talk.

nagromme
Aug 2, 2006, 03:23 PM
No Woodcrest arcoss the board in the Mac Pros? BOO HOO!!! I hope the new monitor rumor is true. I am eyeing up a nice 23" monitor to go along with my new (Woodcrest based?) Mac Pro.
What's wrong with having lower/middle-cost Mac Pros, as long as we ALSO get the Woodcrest you dream of? (And me... but with Kentsfield due this year now--quads-on-one-chip--I may just wait for that.)

All these rumors sound good to me--I hope even half of them are true (even if they happen later than WWDC).

I want to see revolutionary, fricken awsome, Vista-crushing, earth shaking features, a totally revamped and polished GUI, Enterprise features, etc. Come on Apple! Don't dissapoint me!
Earth-shaking revolutions are fun--I'd love that too--but you can't count on that, and OS X is a great OS already. I always seem to appreciate each release's hundred LITTLE improvements most of all.

dizastor
Aug 2, 2006, 03:23 PM
New widgets!

yep. they spent 18 months working on widgets. Nothing else.

Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard
"Chock full o' widgets"

spicyapple
Aug 2, 2006, 03:24 PM
Previous rumors from the rumor site claimed collaborative features (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/06/20060609041938.shtml), and virtualization support (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/03/20060324092148.shtml).
MacOSXRumors claims a lot of rumors, don't they? It's already been debunked that Apple will be supporting virtualization.

With just a few days away until WWDC, we're grabbing at straws! :p

brepublican
Aug 2, 2006, 03:25 PM
Somehow fit a DL superdrive in there.

:confused: I dont understand why people keep insisting on virtually outdated technolgies.

The new standard is Blu Ray. Get with the program :)

BlizzardBomb
Aug 2, 2006, 03:25 PM
As long as the Mac Pros with Conroe are smaller, then I won't complain.

MacsRgr8
Aug 2, 2006, 03:27 PM
No Woodcrest arcoss the board in the Mac Pros? BOO HOO!!!

I thought a Woodcrest in Single CPU (Dual Core) is similar to the Conroe in performance...

So, IMHO, a Woodcrest (Xeon...ugghh ugly name, that), is only usefull if you are going to use Dual Dual Cores (like the Quad G5).

Or am I missing something here...

brepublican
Aug 2, 2006, 03:27 PM
New widgets!

yep. they spent 18 months working on widgets. Nothing else.

Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard
"Chock full o' widgets"
Nice! Hopefully, they have the long awaited Wendy's Menu one... Do what tastes right. Do Wendy's

BlizzardBomb
Aug 2, 2006, 03:31 PM
I thought a Woodcrest in Single CPU (Cual Core) is similar to the Conroe in performance...

So, IMHO, a Woodcrest (Xeon...ugghh ugly name, that), is only usefull if you are going to use Dual Dual Cores (like the Quad G5).

Or am I missing something here...

No pretty much spot on. The 1333 MHz FSB gives about a 5% boost in Xeons favour.

aswitcher
Aug 2, 2006, 03:32 PM
So many rumours. I think we are in for a big one.

dizastor
Aug 2, 2006, 03:32 PM
I think they should add a "buy a new mac" button on the crash dialogue that takes you to the online apple store. Maybe even a splash page that says "Old mac crashing too much? Try one of these new babies!"

shelterpaw
Aug 2, 2006, 03:34 PM
I think they should add a "buy a new mac" button on the crash dialogue that takes you to the online apple store. Maybe even a splash page that says "Old mac crashing too much? Try one of these new babies!"
I'm glad your not in Apples marketing department. :p

MacsRgr8
Aug 2, 2006, 03:36 PM

That'll be a nice Windows BSOD!! :cool:

:D

BlizzardBomb
Aug 2, 2006, 03:37 PM
I'm glad your not in Apples marketing department. :p

Well, its a better idea than the "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" video on the homepage :p

I hope they really wow us with the processors they use too.

2.4GHz Conroe on the low-end
2.67GHz Conroe on the mid-range
Dual 3GHz Woodcrests on the high-end

*Drools*

SteveRichardson
Aug 2, 2006, 03:39 PM
:confused: I dont understand why people keep insisting on virtually outdated technolgies.

The new standard is Blu Ray. Get with the program :)

I think Blu Ray is going to flop.

and to the other guy, I think it's perfectly legitimate to announce a new MBP enclosure with a DL superdrive at the WWDC. I mean it's the pro model laptop. Developers would definitely be using it. And they can burn things faster! :D

ohhhh pleaseohpleaseohplease.

supafly1703
Aug 2, 2006, 03:41 PM
Revamped finder, pretty pleaaaaase...

Me1000
i want to see a CD version of leopard!! lol :p :D
is that so much to ask??

Eidorian

The new standard is Blu Ray. Get with the program :)Media wars? On my internet? (http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm)

cr2sh
Aug 2, 2006, 03:44 PM
I don't really like the idea of the macpro line-up having different chips.

I know in order to produce a quad lineup.. they'll have to, and it makes little difference to the end user.... but the idea of using "lesser" chips in the low end model bugs me.

MacsRgr8
Aug 2, 2006, 03:44 PM
Eh... too many of us clicking http://www.macosxrumors.com/...?
:p

Unorthodox
Aug 2, 2006, 03:51 PM

Also what's this Im hearing about 3-D effects in Leopard?
Thats what I want. Core Duo 2 in MBP.
If I have to wait until the Paris thingamabob.....
I'll hold my breath till I turn blue!

And 3-D effects would be wicked awesome.

bdkennedy1
Aug 2, 2006, 03:51 PM
If anything, multiple desktops would act just like Fast User Switching. I wish Macosxrumors would get their site back online.

spicyapple
Aug 2, 2006, 03:52 PM
Eh... too many of us clicking http://www.macosxrumors.com/...?
:p
Looks like their PowerBook G5 servers can't handle the load!

birch25
Aug 2, 2006, 03:56 PM
I doubt there will be a silver bullet feature that will blow away vista, but overall improvements will take OS X to the next level.

but what is there to get excited about? spotlight (which is rarely used) is faster...wooo... running windows easier...great, not really an upgrade to the mac os, though...

i'm going to assume we're gonna get these things, but there will almost certainly be some big features that we haven't thought of yet.

fabsgwu
Aug 2, 2006, 03:58 PM
but what is there to get excited about? spotlight (which is rarely used) is faster...wooo... running windows easier...great, not really an upgrade to the mac os, though...

i'm going to assume we're gonna get these things, but there will almost certainly be some big features that we haven't thought of yet.

I use spotlight a lot. I wish had more "power" (or pro?) features, tho. I also wish it were faster on my G4.

jackc
Aug 2, 2006, 04:09 PM
Revamped finder, pretty pleaaaaase...

There better be some improvements in the Finder and in Spotlight. That should go without saying.

p0intblank
Aug 2, 2006, 04:10 PM
I can't WAIT for Steve's keynote. :D It's like Christmas to me...

QCassidy352
Aug 2, 2006, 04:16 PM
pretty similar to the rumors on page 2 (obtained by macrumors directly, but "unverified") except that those rumors also include displays and a core 2 duo in something other than the mac pro.

I'm going to split the difference and say
- leopard
- mac pro
- xserve
- displays

Same as I've been saying for a while now! :p

I think I'm most excited about leopard as I won't be in the market for any hardware for a while now.

bloosqr
Aug 2, 2006, 04:23 PM
Here is my guess... I recently setup mac os x mobile sync for my laptop/desktop combination and it is sheer genius.

It basically gives you the same desktop on all your machines and synchronizes your laptop home directory w/ a set up scripts that run on login/logout and background

The problem w/ the setup is it is really meant for corporate farms as you need to set a slew of things up working properly (ldap, kerberos) to do properly. My guess is they are going to revamp the scripts and have an easy setup so people can "synchronize" on the fly btwn different machines so all accounts look exactly the same (but not using afs). This will be a mobile user for desktop and laptop configurations.. it'll waste some space but hard drives are cheap and everyone is "synced"

this will be the new and improved "sync" ... btw if this isn't what they are going to do i still recommend taking a look at mac os x's mobile user configurations as it really is brilliant (as it also has the side effect of auto-backing up your laptop to a different machine))

thomasburns
Aug 2, 2006, 04:27 PM
Enough about all that... all the juicy stuff is in the leopard release. While I doubt we will jump to OS 11 in january, this underpinnings thing sounds interesting.

The thing that gets me :eek: is the 3d capabilities. A 3d dock? A 3d expose? A 3d filesystem viewer? or just a simple 3d affect used when, i dunno turning on?

I really wanna know!!!

I also wanna know what these half dozen or more main features are, In .4 it was dashboard that apple showed off, i just can't think of anything that would be so... cool.

I also wonder what these business features are... Hopefully a new iWork included in the system, a mistake Microsoft made early on.

Multimedia
Aug 2, 2006, 04:35 PM
No Woodcrest arcoss the board in the Mac Pros? BOO HOO!!! I hope the new monitor rumor is true. I am eyeing up a nice 23" monitor to go along with my new (Woodcrest based?) Mac Pro.There was never any logic to using Woodcrest across the board - only for the Quad. Conroe is just as fast and cheaper for dual core models. :)I don't really like the idea of the macpro line-up having different chips.

I know in order to produce a quad lineup.. they'll have to, and it makes little difference to the end user.... but the idea of using "lesser" chips in the low end model bugs me.Conroe are not "lesser" than Woodcrest. Where did you get that idea? Using one Woodcrest for two core Macs would be a higher manufacturing expense which would translate into more expensive dual core Mac Pros.

ebuc
Aug 2, 2006, 04:38 PM
Apple wouldn't give the iMac's faster chips than the MacBook Pro's again, would they?

My 1.25 PowerBook is almost three years old. The old "Al" enclosure is getting a bit long-lived. It is tried and true, though.

Mainyehc
Aug 2, 2006, 04:41 PM
You know, all I personally want is to see Apple fitting a Merom inside a MacBook (non-pro, yes)... I mean, why shouldn't they do that?

Sure, back in the PowerPC days, the differentiation made by Apple between their consumer and professional lines was based both on features AND processors... In a way, it made some sense, as the supply of PowerPC chips was sometimes constrained... Since the G3, G4 and G5 families were alternately produced by IBM and Moto-Freescale, that was less of a problem, as the consumer line would never cannibalize supply for the professional line and vice-versa. I know I'm speculating here, but it sure makes some sense. And, of course, they avoided not only cannibalization on the component supply front, but also on the sales front... :rolleyes:

Anyway... This worked fine back when Apple was, platform-wise, isolated from the rest of the other computer manufacturers. Now they can't afford to lose customers to other brands (and as much as OS X is an attractive proposition, most potential switchers won't take the plunge if they feel they are REALLY being ripped-off), and let's face it: if the Core 2 Duo processors will, as it appears, cost the same as their Core Duo counterparts did when they were launched, why shouldn't Apple slap them across the board? They could always deplete their stock of Core Duo processors on their Mac mini line, while lowering them to their original $499 and $599 pricetags...

Just my €0,02... It's true, I'll have to get my hands on a MacBook until the end of September, so this is mostly wishful thinking :o . Anyway, am I too off-base? (I'm guessing not...).

mainstreetmark
Aug 2, 2006, 04:44 PM
Let's see, I have a few dozen things I'd like to see:

- (S)FTP-mountable volumes that you can WRITE to.
- Faster spotlight. I really wouldn't mind, but they got me believing it'd be "instant", and really it's just "fast" right now.
- A "calculate folder sizes" in the finder that acutally applies to all windows.
- A few more display options for files in finder. That "Group By People" one in Spotlight is kinda clever. A large tile mode would be good.
- Folders in the Finder that hint about what's inside. LIke a folder full o' word docs would have a word doc icon imposed on the folder.
- A whole new Label system that is A) Not ugly and B) color customizable
- A new dock, or at least a new dock feature! Or, at least avoiding the situation where an item dragged to the trash accidently gets a permanent home on the dock instead. The dock is, like, 10.1 technology
- resolution independence, of course. I want to zoom out a bit.
- an optional grey, translucent layer below the current app that makes all background windows a bit more in the background. I get confused if I can't see the traffic lights.

Multimedia
Aug 2, 2006, 04:44 PM
You know, all I personally want is to see Apple fitting a Merom inside a MacBook (non-pro, yes)... I mean, why shouldn't they do that?

Sure, back in the PowerPC days, the differentiation made by Apple between their consumer and professional lines was based both on features AND processors... In a way, it made some sense, as the supply of PowerPC chips was sometimes constrained... Since the G3, G4 and G5 families were alternately produced by IBM and Moto-Freescale, that was less of a problem, as the consumer line would never cannibalize supply for the professional line and vice-versa. I know I'm speculating here, but it sure makes some sense.

Anyway... This worked fine back when Apple was, platform-wise, isolated from the rest of the other computer manufacturers. Now they can't afford to lose customers to other brands, and let's face it: if the Core 2 Duo processors will, as it appears, cost the same as their Core Duo counterparts did when they were launched, why shouldn't Apple slap them across the board? They could always deplete their stock of Core Duo processors on their Mac mini line, while lowering them to their original $499 and $599 pricetags...

Just my €0,02... It's true, I'll have to get my hands on a MacBook until the end of September, so this is mostly wishful thinking :o . Anyway, am I too off-base? (I'm guessing not...).Don't worry. They will do it by Thanksgiving at the latest. Top speed will remain 2GHz. But battery life will be doubled. :p

Little doubt Apple buys their processors "Just-In-Time" so there is no stockpile of obsolete processors to deplete. Mini will get Core 2 as well by Thanksgiving.

BlizzardBomb
Aug 2, 2006, 04:46 PM
There was never any logic to using Woodcrest across the board - only for the Quad. Conroe is just as fast, cheaper and cooler for dual core models. :)

Woodcrest has the same TDP as Conroe, so it's not cooler.

kenaustus
Aug 2, 2006, 05:23 PM

Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it will happen until after the back-to-school rush, especially with the iPod offer that has been thrown in.

After that I can see the MB and the mini being upgraded. Maybe an announcement in Paris - along with the iMac going Core 2.

I think everyone will be happy, but not surprised, if the MBP goes Core 2 next week. The surprise would be a smaller MBP with a 13" display added to the lineup. Might just happen.

Mainyehc
Aug 2, 2006, 05:26 PM
Don't worry. They will do it by Thanksgiving at the latest. Top speed will remain 2GHz. But battery life will be doubled. :p

Little doubt Apple buys their processors "Just-In-Time" so there is no stockpile of obsolete processors to deplete. Mini will get Core 2 as well by Thanksgiving.

Well... I'll still have to worry, since I absolutely *must* have the MacBook on the 29th October, at the latest ;) . I'm leaving to Granada on a 6-month Erasmus interchange, and there's NO WAY I'm buying a MacBook with a spanish keyboard (nor will I get it only on my christmas vacation, and besides, or won't be as easy to have it shipped there)... On the other hand, the VAT in Spain is MUCH lower than in Portugal... I know this is totally off-topic, but do you know if it's easy to change a MacBook keyboard layout? :D

shelterpaw
Aug 2, 2006, 05:35 PM
I hope with the release of Leopard OS X doesn't require a reboot for updates or any sort. I'd also like to save my sessions upon shutting down. All the same windows open and in the same place as I left it. Another one would be a more GUI options for the firewall and perhaps an add-on for snort. I know third party tools exist, but I'd like it to be built into the OS. Widgets that can become part of the the desktop background, but not replace it. I'm sure I could make a huge list of improvements, but these are a few that I'd really like to see done.

xUKHCx
Aug 2, 2006, 05:39 PM
this will be the new and improved "sync" ... btw if this isn't what they are going to do i still recommend taking a look at mac os x's mobile user configurations as it really is brilliant (as it also has the side effect of auto-backing up your laptop to a different machine))

Whats this, i have never heard of this, is it part of the OS, can someone help me out, either explain how to access this or where tor ead up on it.

The thing that gets me :eek: is the 3d capabilities. A 3d dock? A 3d expose? A 3d filesystem viewer? or just a simple 3d affect used when, i dunno turning on?

eww Flip 3d (http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/vista-5219-review-flip3d.jpg) That image just goes to show what is wrong with the way Expose is implimented in Vista, what is that on the last window, have no idea. Expose is best in 2D no need for 3D.

I hope with the release of Leopard OS X doesn't require a reboot for updates or any sort. I'd also like to save my sessions upon shutting down. All the same windows open and in the same place as I left it. Another one would be a more GUI options for the firewall and perhaps an add-on for snort. I know third party tools exist, but I'd like it to be built into the OS. Widgets that can become part of the the desktop background, but not replace it. I'm sure I could make a huge list of improvements, but these are a few that I'd really like to see done.

I like these ideas, i already have developer mode switched on so i can have the widgets on the desktop, but i would prefer them to be a part of the background like you said. Really cool idea.

eightball0
Aug 2, 2006, 05:58 PM
The site appears to be down. Anyone have a cached copy of the post?

GregA
Aug 2, 2006, 06:11 PM
I don't really like the idea of the macpro line-up having different chips.

I know in order to produce a quad lineup.. they'll have to, and it makes little difference to the end user.... but the idea of using "lesser" chips in the low end model bugs me.It bugs me the idea that Apple can't produce a middle-of-the-range machine. Something that doesn't have all the bells and whistles but runs well enough :) Ah well, to each their own!

shelterpaw
Aug 2, 2006, 06:15 PM
It bugs me the idea that Apple can't produce a middle-of-the-range machine. Something that doesn't have all the bells and whistles but runs well enough :) Ah well, to each their own! Could you be more specific. Are you talking just in the desktop units?

GregA
Aug 2, 2006, 06:18 PM
i seriously effing hope it's more than <snip> virtual desktops. that's pathetic. we need a revolutionary OS revision.Picture this - Steve Jobs is demo'ing Leopard and he pulls out a really old iMac... and says "it also works really fast on one of these"... then he reveals that it's a "virtual desktop" running remotely. You can buy a Mac Mini and have up to 2 old Macs acting as terminals (or buy an "Apple Terminal"). Then he shows the quad machine with the new Apple terminal hub, and says that a school can add this baby to their classroom and instantly have a virtual upgrade for 30 old eMacs (video editing not included - for that you need to buy Macs)

Any chance virtual desktops could refer to that? .. since that's what I want...

ps. Oh... of course, terminals aren't just for your home network, they allow remote connections and an iPad.

greenstork
Aug 2, 2006, 06:22 PM

Yes, and the option of saving open tabs upon quitting Safari or a prompt like Firefox offers to prevent me from accidentally clicking the red close window button and closing all of my open tabs, instead of the back button.

GregA
Aug 2, 2006, 06:24 PM
Could you be more specific. Are you talking just in the desktop units?
Actually, at the moment I think Apple is so focussed on the high end, and that'll always be expensive. The sweet spot is speed/cost is usually around 6 months behind the cutting edge, and it'd be great to see more Apple options in that area.

I know... iMac, Mac Mini etc can handle that reasonably well... and I do like the look of the new iMac. I'm probably just being picky.

edit: Yes, I meant desktop units, though it's probably true for laptops too?

shelterpaw
Aug 2, 2006, 06:30 PM
Actually, at the moment I think Apple is so focussed on the high end, and that'll always be expensive. The sweet spot is speed/cost is usually around 6 months behind the cutting edge, and it'd be great to see more Apple options in that area.

I know... iMac, Mac Mini etc can handle that reasonably well... and I do like the look of the new iMac. I'm probably just being picky.

edit: Yes, I meant desktop units, though it's probably true for laptops too?
The desktops always seem pretty plain jane to me. Usually three or four to choose from and they either are fast, faster, or super fast, but I'm not sure what you mean by bells and whistles. I guess you're saying you want a bare bones machine with a super fast processor without much else.

lostngone
Aug 2, 2006, 07:10 PM
I would like to see a Woodcrest based Powermac replacement and a developer release of Leopard.

Anything else will be butter.

ezekielrage_99
Aug 2, 2006, 07:33 PM
I hope we see iPod updates but I doubt it.....

I want my new iPod :D

Lynxpro
Aug 2, 2006, 07:37 PM

No, they should make a "Gadget" for Windows Vista so when it crashes, the Gadget pops up recommending that the user buy a Mac.

This gadget could also pop up when a virus, instruction, spyware, trojan or adware is detected.

Now that would be sweet.

ezekielrage_99
Aug 2, 2006, 08:08 PM
What I want to see from WWDC:

1) New PowerMac (Mac Pro?).
2) New xServer.
3) Updates for MacBook Pros, iMac, MacBook, Mac Mini Lines.
4) New iPods.
5) Something cool and unexpected from the preview of Leopard.
6) Steve in his usual smart and practical black turtle neck.

Then I'd be happy :D :cool:

Chundles
Aug 2, 2006, 08:12 PM

2) New xServer.
4) New iPods.

1. Most likely
2. More than likely only it's called an "xServe."
3. Possibly, no, no, no. Remember, this is a developer/professional conference. It's got nothing to do with consumer hardware or software.
4. No - not a consumer conference, wait till Apple surprise us with a special event or maybe at Apple Expo Paris if Jobs is doing a keynote.
5. Most definitely
6. But will he wear joggers (Nikes?) or socks with sandals (the "iDag" look)???

JRM PowerPod
Aug 2, 2006, 09:15 PM
i want to see a CD version of leopard!! lol :p :D
is that so much to ask??

ACTUALLY, i've heard that it willl be blu-ray only

treblah
Aug 2, 2006, 09:24 PM
ACTUALLY, i've heard that it willl be blu-ray only

Next time put a smiley at the end to indicate you are joking. ;)

shelterpaw
Aug 2, 2006, 09:37 PM

2) New xServer.
4) New iPods.

apparently you've been taken your happy pills. :D :p

JZ Wire
Aug 2, 2006, 10:44 PM
I guess WWDC won't be streamed then huh? MacRumors will be covering the conference, right?

Me1000
Aug 2, 2006, 10:55 PM
you were only joking about blu-ray right???

i dont want blu-ray i want my HD DVD's!!!!

j-huskisson
Aug 3, 2006, 02:28 AM
Throw the Core 2 Duo into the iMac. Then we'll talk.

I actually placed my order for a 2gb iMac with the 256mb graphics on the 31st.. They told me I could wait 3 days for just the ram upgrade or 2-4 if I wanted the graphics (they had to order a 20" iMac with the graphics upgraded for some reason).

So i'm personally hoping that 2-4 week delay = the new processor in the iMac.

ezekielrage_99
Aug 3, 2006, 02:38 AM
apparently you've been taken your happy pills. :D :p

Sure have but they are wearing off;)

glassbathroom
Aug 3, 2006, 03:44 AM
But will he wear joggers (Nikes?) or socks with sandals (the "iDag" look)???

Black Converse All-Stars. You heard it here first! Trust me like Appleinsider!

BlizzardBomb
Aug 3, 2006, 05:08 AM
I actually placed my order for a 2gb iMac with the 256mb graphics on the 31st.. They told me I could wait 3 days for just the ram upgrade or 2-4 if I wanted the graphics (they had to order a 20" iMac with the graphics upgraded for some reason).

Umm... why did you place an order with WWDC and Paris Expo around the corner?

j-huskisson
Aug 3, 2006, 05:59 AM
Umm... why did you place an order with WWDC and Paris Expo around the corner?

Because I couldn't wait to get my hands on a Mac? :)

BlizzardBomb
Aug 3, 2006, 06:26 AM
Because I couldn't wait to get my hands on a Mac? :)

Sounds good enough to me :p As long as it does what you want it to do, I'm sure it'll be a great Mac.

reflex
Aug 3, 2006, 06:51 AM

Speaking of which, I just had a strange thing happen in the Belgian online Apple store. I was looking at the bottom line MacBook Pro and trying out options. Then I saw shipping time was 5 days, without any special options.

I went to the U.S. online store and tried the same, but it said 24 hours. So I went back to the Belgian one and now it also said 24 hours.

So 5 days from now, that's the 8th, which is after the keynote. Make of it what you will, but here's to hoping for new MBPs :)

Btw, before anyone asks: I didn't think to make a screenshot.

Beck446
Aug 3, 2006, 09:19 AM
Hi, I haven't been able to follow the threads closely and I was hoping someone could do me a favor and post the expected release date of Leopard. Are people thinking about January or are we talking next summer?

Thanks!

Chundles
Aug 3, 2006, 09:23 AM
Hi, I haven't been able to follow the threads closely and I was hoping someone could do me a favor and post the expected release date of Leopard. Are people thinking about January or are we talking next summer?

Thanks!

The only official word is "late this year to early next year." We'll know more in a few days.

j-huskisson
Aug 3, 2006, 09:32 AM
Why is no-one here talking about the WDC banner?
http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wdcbannerff3.jpg

Let's hope that iMac with the '64bit' picture next to it means what I think it means for my iMac order ;)

bigandy
Aug 3, 2006, 09:34 AM
The only official word is "late this year to early next year." We'll know more in a few days.
officially? Before Vista. :D

(a) you mean WWDC ;)

(b) there's another thread about it. ;)

Chundles
Aug 3, 2006, 09:38 AM
http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wdcbannerff3.jpg

Let's hope that iMac with the '64bit' picture next to it means what I think it means for my iMac order ;)

Um, so this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=221399) big thread doesn't interest you then?

The logos are scattered all over the place, proximity means nothing.

filmguy
Aug 3, 2006, 10:01 AM
Hi Guys,

I wanted to get your opinions on something.

Recently, Apple added a whole bunch of free online seminars on it's seminars page (you can get there from the Hot News page).

In a number of the seminar descriptions, they speak about the "awesome power" of the "Power Mac G5 Quad" (which is true), and they keep calling it "new" on more than one occasion (it's close to a year old now).

This is interested to me since there's speculation that the "Mac Pro" will be unveiled at the WWDC (hoping). The release of these seminars, and the fact that they promote the quad and call it "new", means that:
a) They're desperately trying to sell as many of these machines as possible because they haven't sold enough of them and before their Intel counterparts are released, and/or,
b) The new "Mac Pro" quad will not be coming out until the year end - perhaps only a mid-range "Mac Pro" will be unveiled @ the WWDC.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

Filmguy

MacRumors
Aug 3, 2006, 10:03 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

A picture taken apparently during the setup of WWDC has begun circulating around the mac web (http://www.digg.com/apple/WWDC_2006_Banner_Revieled_With_possible_hints_at_new_products). Much of what the banner depicts is nothing new, however some have pointed out that Apple is once again touting 64-bit application development, and the desktop model depicted looks very similar to today's PowerMac G5.

Core Duo (Yonah), currently used in today's iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini computers, is a 32 bit processor whereas Core 2 Duo (Conroe/Merom) and Xeon are 64 bit. A recent page 2 rumor (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060802151736.shtml) indicated that in addition to a Mac Pro introduction, the MacBook Pro may be updated to include Merom which would leave only Apple's consumer systems with 32 bit processors.

Also of note is that most of Apple's most sensitive banners at events are typically heavily guarded and draped with black cloths (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/04/20050417134643.shtml) until the related announcements are made.

filmguy
Aug 3, 2006, 10:03 AM
On the Apple site "Hot News" page, they call the seminars "events", on the right hand side of the page.

Chundles
Aug 3, 2006, 10:04 AM
Hi Guys,

I wanted to get your opinions on something.

Recently, Apple added a whole bunch of free online seminars on it's seminars page (you can get there from the Hot News page).

In a number of the seminar descriptions, they speak about the "awesome power" of the "Power Mac G5 Quad" (which is true), and they keep calling it "new" on more than one occasion (it's close to a year old now).

This is interested to me since there's speculation that the "Mac Pro" will be unveiled at the WWDC (hoping). The release of these seminars, and the fact that they promote the quad and call it "new", means that:
a) They're desperately trying to sell as many of these machines as possible because they haven't sold enough of them and before their Intel counterparts are released, and/or,
b) The new "Mac Pro" quad will not be coming out until the year end - perhaps only a mid-range "Mac Pro" will be unveiled @ the WWDC.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

Filmguy

Those seminars come up periodically. I think they're just on an automatic reload when it comes to the right time.

Apple won't give anything away before an event, especially not days before. The best leaks come a few hours before the event kicks off.

filmguy
Aug 3, 2006, 10:07 AM
Those seminars come up periodically. I think they're just on an automatic reload when it comes to the right time.

Apple won't give anything away before an event, especially not days before. The best leaks come a few hours before the event kicks off.

Cheers for the quick reply. You have a good point.

I'm desperate for a new "Mac Pro" (like some others) and so I'm sepculating a lot these days :) .

FF_productions
Aug 3, 2006, 10:07 AM

I know what you are talking about. That video has been around since the Quad came out, they'll take it off once it's replacement comes. They aren't going to re-shoot the seminar videos and say the "1 year old Quad" or change the description. In the next few weeks, pending a Mac Pro release, we will see some new seminar descriptions talking about our Quad Intel Mac Pro's.

filmguy
Aug 3, 2006, 10:08 AM
I know what you are talking about. That video has been around since the Quad came out, they'll take it off once it's replacement comes. They aren't going to re-shoot the seminar videos and say the "1 year old Quad" or change the description. In the next few weeks, pending a Mac Pro release, we will see some new seminar descriptions talking about our Quad Intel Mac Pro's.

Here's hoping. Cheers.

Stridder44
Aug 3, 2006, 10:10 AM
Why not just link the picture instead of link after link after link?

crees!
Aug 3, 2006, 10:10 AM
Yea banner. Oh, and I'm putting money on the iChatMobile pic is real.

longofest
Aug 3, 2006, 10:13 AM
Why not just link the picture instead of link after link after link?

Have you ever seen us actually put a pic on our homepage? ;)

nagromme
Aug 3, 2006, 10:29 AM
Wow, those Digg comments (re the banner photo) have a lot of wasted hopes :D Joysticks? Backlit MacBook non-Pros? Nano playing video? 64-bit image means ALL Macs are now 64-bit? No, none of the above.

All I see NEW there is:

* A black X and Leopard print on the Leopard DVD. Not bad looking.

* Some slogan about making OS X the "dominant platform" maybe? Nice to have something to shoot for ;)

And I see the old tower, which suggests no new case design. (But a collage of products that includes some past or soon-to-be-retired ones isn't 100% impossible at a developer event.)

Stridder44
Aug 3, 2006, 10:40 AM
Have you ever seen us actually put a pic on our homepage? ;)

Oh no I didn't mean it like that I just was looking for a direct link to the pic.

Yea banner. Oh, and I'm putting money on the iChatMobile pic is real.

I agree 100%

edenwaith
Aug 3, 2006, 10:43 AM
I certainly hope that Virtual Desktops make their way into this version of OS X. This is one of the biggest features I'm surprised that never made it in, considering that pretty much every other distribution of UNIX/Linux I've ever seen has a virtual desktop manager.

I don't know where the 'new monitor' rumor is coming from since I'm not seeing anything mentioned in the original post, but I wouldn't be surprised to see new monitors with a built in iSight, so pretty much all Macs can have a camera along with them. Will it also have a built-in microphone?

poppe
Aug 3, 2006, 11:24 AM
I can find a way to see tha banner... Does anyone have a link?

Never mind i got it...http://www.users.on.net/~richard.moulynox/wwdc2006.jpg

Chundles
Aug 3, 2006, 11:25 AM
I can find a way to see tha banner... Does anyone have a link?

Come over to the thread about the banner, I just posted a high-res version.

iJed
Aug 3, 2006, 11:27 AM
What I'd like to see is Apple coming up with something that can compete with C# and .NET. C# is currently by far the nicest programming language that I've ever used and .NET is in some ways the best API. I'm hoping that Apple is not just going to add garbage collection to Objective-C and target LLVM. Now is the time to replace Objective-C with something modern. Even if they decide to use their own implementation of C# I'll be happy.

sam10685
Aug 3, 2006, 11:56 AM
eveything there looks like stuff that's already available. except that disk with the big black X on it. big black X's always lead to good news.

hasn't every new OS be revolutionary?

JackSYi
Aug 3, 2006, 12:04 PM
Its getting way too exciting. Maybe its because there hasn't been an Apple event in a while. We need our fix periodically.

shelterpaw
Aug 3, 2006, 12:20 PM
hasn't every new OS be revolutionary?Not in my opinion. I think each OS release has been evolutionary, but not revolutionary.

Killyp
Aug 3, 2006, 12:28 PM
Not in my opinion. I think each OS release has been evolutionary, but not revolutionary.

Tiger added Widgets, which have surely been revolutionary...

I remember when WWDC last happened and Steve Jobs showing Spotlight was on TV!

noelister
Aug 3, 2006, 12:28 PM
The MacBook Pro looks to be smaller (judging by the size of the speaker grill). Maybe they are releasing it in a smaller size

miles01110
Aug 3, 2006, 12:40 PM
The MacBook Pro looks to be smaller (judging by the size of the speaker grill). Maybe they are releasing it in a smaller size

That would be awesome- a 13 or 14 inch MBP.

The speaker grilles are virtually gone...makes me wonder if they new ones will run even hotter, as on the previous models you can feel thermal currents coming out of the grilles....

shelterpaw
Aug 3, 2006, 12:44 PM
Tiger added Widgets, which have surely been revolutionary...

I remember when WWDC last happened and Steve Jobs showing Spotlight was on TV!I think that's a poor example because Konfabulator was already around and Apple essentially just took that idea and made it part of the OS. Desk Accessories which were part of the original Mac, released in 1984, were similar to widgets. So I don't see where revolution comes to mind. They've evolved, but it's not a revolutionary idea.

miles01110
Aug 3, 2006, 12:45 PM
I think that's a poor example because Konfabulator was already around and Apple essentially just took that idea and made it part of the OS. Desk Accessories which were part of the original Mac, released in 1984, were similar to widgets. So I don't see where revolution comes to mind. They've evolved, but it's not a revolutionary idea.

Not to mention Firefox and Google have had the same stuff for years...

mdntcallr
Aug 3, 2006, 01:03 PM

Hell yes!!!

With a better mobile graphics GPU, i.e.,
ATI Mobility ™ Radeon® X1800 Series or
GeForce Go 7900

Larger optional hard drives:
offer the Seagate ST9160821A-RK 160 GB ATA-100 for mac laptops or Seagate Momentus 5400.3 160 GB

and here is the kicker: (optional)
Blu-Ray Drive player/burner, with DVD+-R (dl) ability.

hey i know it would cost more, but apple is supposed to lead in terms of technology.

shadowx
Aug 3, 2006, 01:18 PM
Hell yes!!!

With a better mobile graphics GPU, i.e.,
ATI Mobility ™ Radeon® X1800 Series or
GeForce Go 7900

Larger optional hard drives:
offer the Seagate ST9160821A-RK 160 GB ATA-100 for mac laptops or Seagate Momentus 5400.3 160 GB

and here is the kicker: (optional)
Blu-Ray Drive player/burner, with DVD+-R (dl) ability.

hey i know it would cost more, but apple is supposed to lead in terms of technology.

Getting a little ahead of ourselves on the GPU?? How about Apple clocking the X1600 at ATI's default speed, first.;)

noelister
Aug 3, 2006, 01:19 PM
That would be awesome- a 13 or 14 inch MBP.

The speaker grilles are virtually gone...makes me wonder if they new ones will run even hotter, as on the previous models you can feel thermal currents coming out of the grilles....

I am still not sure if the picture is just playing tricks on my eyes but when comparing the pictured MacBook pro in that banner to mine and the ones on the Apple website they do appear the be diffenrent.

Getting a little ahead of ourselves on the GPU?? How about Apple clocking the X1600 at ATI's default speed, first.;)

That would be nice.

mdntcallr
Aug 3, 2006, 01:28 PM

why is it getting ahead of ourselves?

The ATI or NVidia are both avail, and being sold by competitors.

Why wait to use the best technology? to save money and profit margins?
remember the laptops have the graphics GPU on a small separate card. they can change that, offer different options/models.

I just want the best laptop possible. period.

apple should let us clock the components the way we want. so you and i are both happy. just an idea. i bet overclocking would use more power though. which doesnt matter. 3/4 of the time my laptop is on a plug in power source.

bradc
Aug 3, 2006, 01:29 PM
I just want to know who is the ass monkey that took this picture? Hahaha, the monkey has left all of us playing Sherlock Holmes trying to figure out what the text says! That said, I don't think it's anything more than what it is, just a greeting banner to welcome people.

mikeyrogers
Aug 3, 2006, 01:46 PM
Nice! Hopefully, they have the long awaited Wendy's Menu one... Do what tastes right. Do Wendy's

Maybe it's the .Mac widget's the promised us. Finally!

mrwilly123
Aug 3, 2006, 04:36 PM
I am still not sure if the picture is just playing tricks on my eyes but when comparing the pictured MacBook pro in that banner to mine and the ones on the Apple website they do appear the be diffenrent.

That would be nice.

I agree, the speaker grills are definitely smaller...good sign for me at least, I'm waiting on a new MacBook Pro!

HOWEVER, that part of the banner is a little crumpled over. You can tell by the ripple that it is folded back a bit and would make the grills appear to be smaller. Not sure if it's that, though. Hard to tell!

I wish whoever took the picture would have just run into the room and snapped a few more!

iAlan
Aug 3, 2006, 08:28 PM
I think the photo is a decoy and that there are in fact new machines coming out and hte photo has been pplaced to distract discussion from new casings as the old casings are all on the banner...

I can only hope...

Silentwave
Aug 3, 2006, 08:50 PM
I agree, the speaker grills are definitely smaller...good sign for me at least, I'm waiting on a new MacBook Pro!

HOWEVER, that part of the banner is a little crumpled over. You can tell by the ripple that it is folded back a bit and would make the grills appear to be smaller. Not sure if it's that, though. Hard to tell!

I wish whoever took the picture would have just run into the room and snapped a few more!

Its the same old MBP. You're being fooled by the perspective.

ever
Aug 3, 2006, 08:53 PM
* Some slogan about making OS X the "dominant platform" maybe? Nice to have something to shoot for ;)

That letter is an 'h' not an 'n,' you can see the very thin left half of a lowercase h. Probably says the 'right platform' or something.

update: "You've come to the right platform." http://www.flickr.com/photos/44876242@N00/206062383/

nagromme
Aug 4, 2006, 09:44 AM
I see that now :)

Purpoted leaked Leopard images/info at PowerPage:

http://www.powerpage.org/archives/2006/08/exclusive_leopard_feature_set_leaked.html

I'm inclined to believe they're real, and I like them :) Exposé for Safari tabs? It's like they read my mind. I hope they're real come Monday.

WWDC Lurker
Aug 4, 2006, 09:54 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before, but Digg has the following for an apple source on new products at WDDC:

http://digg.com/apple/Exclusive_interview_with_an_Apple_insider_on_Blu_ray_MacPro_iPods_at_WWDC

the direct article is at:
http://www.dvdnewsroom.com/news/breaking-inside-apple-on-blu-ray-macpro-and-apple’s-media-center-strategy-what-to-expect-and-not-to-expect-at-wwdc/

Mal
Aug 4, 2006, 10:15 AM

http://www.powerpage.org/archives/2006/08/exclusive_leopard_feature_set_leaked.html

I'm inclined to believe they're real, and I like them :) Exposé for Safari tabs? It's like they read my mind. I hope they're real come Monday.

They do look/sound good, and I like most of the features they claim, but the Spotlight screenshots look faked to me. Not professional enough.

jW

DavidLeblond
Aug 4, 2006, 10:47 AM

I posted this somewhere else, but here it is again. That page is fake. They take screen caps of the easy to photoshop features, yet just tell us the iChat interface is "different". Right.

FAKE.

aswitcher
Aug 4, 2006, 12:14 PM

A lot of the features/upgrades mentioned seem pretty good. Here's hoping some of this is right.

nagromme
Aug 4, 2006, 01:30 PM

Hey, numbskull, is "purpoted" even a word??

And did you look at the FULL size screenshots floating around? Muy suspicious. Don't get your hopes up, bud.

JoshRtek
Aug 6, 2006, 09:13 PM
14 hours to go:

My credit card is warm and ready for a Mac Pro...

...and come next spring, I hope Leopard will run on my Powerbook 12"...

Mr.damien
Aug 19, 2006, 07:29 AM
What I'd like to see is Apple coming up with something that can compete with C# and .NET. C# is currently by far the nicest programming language that I've ever used and .NET is in some ways the best API. I'm hoping that Apple is not just going to add garbage collection to Objective-C and target LLVM. Now is the time to replace Objective-C with something modern. Even if they decide to use their own implementation of C# I'll be happy.
Hi,

So you should be interested by this.

[I just got official okay to mention this in public. This was previously
announced at Apple's WWDC conference last week.]

For those who are interested, Apple announced that they are using the LLVM
optimizer and JIT within their Mac OS 10.5 'Leopard' OpenGL stack (which
was distributed in beta form to WWDC attendees).

LLVM is used in two different ways, at runtime:

1. Runtime code specialization within the fixed-function vertex-processing
pipeline. Basically, the OpenGL pipeline has many parameters (is fog
enabled? do vertices have texture info? etc) which rarely change:
executing the fully branchy code swamps the branch predictors and
performs poorly. To solve this, the code is precompiled to LLVM .bc
form, from which specializations of the code are made, optimized,
and JIT compiled as they are needed at runtime.

2. OpenGL vertex shaders are small programs written using a family of
programming langauges with highly domain-specific features (e.g. dot
product, texture lookup, etc). At runtime, the OpenGL stack translates
vertex programs into LLVM form, runs LLVM optimizer passes and then JIT
compiles the code.

Both of these approaches make heavy use of manually vectorized code using
SSE/Altivec intrinsics, and they use the LLVM x86-32/x86-64/ppc/ppc64
targets. LLVM replaces existing special purpose JIT compilers built by
the OpenGL team.

LLVM is currently used when hardware support is disabled or when the
current hardware does not support a feature requested by the user app.
This happens most often on low-end graphics chips (e.g. integrated
graphics), but can happen even with the high-end graphics when advanced
capabilities are used.

Like any good compiler, the only impact that LLVM has on the OpenGL stack
is better performance (there are no user-visible knobs). However, if you
sample a program using shark, you will occasionally see LLVM methods in
the stack traces. :)

-Chris
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2006-August/006492.html