PDA

View Full Version : Zune already problematic: The ‘iPod killer’ won’t offer vide...

MacBytes
Aug 3, 2006, 02:04 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Zune already problematic: The ‘iPod killer’ won’t offer video at launch (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060803150442)
Description:: Microsoft is delaying the video portion of its Zune device which is to take on the ubiquitous Apple iPod.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

WildCowboy
Aug 3, 2006, 02:07 PM
I'm shocked. :rolleyes:

Shall we take bets on how long it takes before they announce they're delaying the audio features as well?

Flowbee
Aug 3, 2006, 02:13 PM
The whole Zune "leak" and confirmation was just a way for Microsoft to grab some headlines before WWDC. The leopard preview will make Vista look farther behind than ever, and if Apple has a few hardware surprises up their sleeve, MS might have had a hard time getting anyone's attention before the holidays.

BoyBach
Aug 3, 2006, 02:14 PM
So is Microsoft's new business plan to just promise everything and anything and never release it? ;)

liketom
Aug 3, 2006, 02:14 PM
this is funny :D "Zune would be out sometime in the next 12 months."

err like so when are they gonna release this so called iPod KILLER?

it's just sooo microsoft :rolleyes:

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 3, 2006, 02:19 PM
They still, still haven't learned anything from Vista...

...they did blatantly say it was video-capable initially, right?

macFanDave
Aug 3, 2006, 02:33 PM
that the original Zunes will not have music capability and for $300, you can get a portable device that will display the titles of all of the songs you own.

Once you get to the title of a song you would like to hear, M$ cordially invites you to hum it to yourself.

solvs
Aug 3, 2006, 04:34 PM
So is Microsoft's new business plan to just promise everything and anything and never release it?
New? :confused: This has been the plan all along. Promise something make you reconsider the alternatives, throw it all together by some random deadline (whether it works or not) or just rebrand someone else's hard work, then promise new features for the next (paid) version your competitor has had all along. And they can't say it's late because they never actually said what the arbitrary deadline is. ;)

winmacguy
Aug 3, 2006, 11:09 PM
We were expecting something 'different' from Microsoft this time?:confused: :p

redAPPLE
Aug 4, 2006, 01:22 AM
So is Microsoft's new business plan to just promise everything and anything and never release it? ;)

back in the day, they called products like that vaporware.

TVsac.com
Aug 4, 2006, 01:51 AM

Why ??? :(

liketom
Aug 4, 2006, 01:54 AM

i'd call it bullsh** but yes your right vaporware

Lollypop
Aug 4, 2006, 05:03 AM
MS clearly has a different tactic that Apple, let the cat out of the bag years before the release, then let down before the release, as opposed to Apple that lets the cat out of the bag with the acutal release. I personally prefer the Apple way, that way when there is a problem we dont know about it and we are actually rather surprised!

Sad things is as much as I wish Zune will fail apple does need bit of competition!

dogbone
Aug 4, 2006, 06:29 AM
So is Microsoft's new business plan to just promise everything and anything and never release it?

Well that would be a step in the right direction.

i'd call it bullsh** but yes your right vaporware

Vapourware? as in like, an "air biscuit"?

PlaceofDis
Aug 4, 2006, 06:43 AM
haha! oh my, Microsoft have outdone themselves this time. promises, promises and then delays. and more delays. they can't seem to get anything right at all. this has me doubting that Zune will be anything noteworthy at all.

dogbone
Aug 4, 2006, 06:51 AM
...this has me doubting that Zune will be anything noteworthy at all.

It's already noteworthy for having one of the most sadly laughable 70's style name of any recent product. Perhaps they should get Austin Powers to launch it.

macnulty
Aug 5, 2006, 09:26 AM
Wouldn't a "Zune" introduction without video almost guarantee an intial flop?
But then again, Microsoft flops still move a ton of product.