Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider reports that according to their sources, Apple is expected to quickly adopt Intel's newest line of processors - the mobile Core 2 Duo - which was announced last week.

According to a source familiar with the Mac maker's plans, the company is slated to receive mass shipments of the new Merom Core 2 Duo processors by the first week of September and plans to be amongst the first PC manufacturers to introduce systems based on the new chips.

Apple's current iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro and Mac mini use the original Core Duo/Solo chips which were introduced earlier this year. Early unconfirmed rumors hinted that Apple was very interested in getting the Merom chips as early as possible. This rumor indicates that Apple will remain aggressive with their product line upgrades.

The first Core 2 Duo (Merom) benchmarks have already been making the rounds:

The chip has completed a first test run in our labs and was not only more responsive and faster than the fastest Core Duo ("Yonah") processor, but consumed less power as well.

Some unconfirmed rumors as well as analyst speculation has hinted at Apple providing an upgrade to at least one of the existing Intel Macs.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
MBP Merom anyone? Appleinsider has always been reliable...so this may happen. This WWDC is gonna be great!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Not a whole lot of new info, but any indication that the move to Merom will be a rapid one is certainly welcomed...

bradc

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2006
Canader eh
It was probably part of Intel's/Apple's bargaining chip that Apple gets quick shipments of chips I assume. Not priority over Dell, Lenovo, HP, Toshiba but maybe sufficient quantities?

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
How can this be negative?

Who voted negative????? You want it slower, eh? Give the man a G3! No, a 601!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I think the negative votes were from those who wanted Steve to announce Merom in updated Macs on Monday and not wait until September...

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
It is sad to have to wait till September... I wanted to show my family my MBP since they've never though of using a Mac until me

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Wow! Tip of the hat to Apple and Intel. But why aren't the Blue Man on my TV selling the Core 2 Duo? Somebody tell them to put the LSD away and get to a studio.

And of course, nobody's talking about the elephant in the room. These new chips are SIXTY FOUR BIT BABY. Is 32-bit the new G4? Cuz we all know the G4 is the new G3.

64-bit OSX by the end of the year perhaps? With quadruple binaries to support the G4, the G5, the Core Duo, and the Core Duo 2? Or will Apple deny us our 64-bit freedom?

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
carletonmusic said:
I think the negative votes were from those who wanted Steve to announce Merom in updated Macs on Monday and not wait until September...

Yeah... this seems to favor a Paris release...

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
I always expected the four existing lines to go merom. It's pretty much a firmware update away from using existing hardware and the form factors used are more geared towards lower power chips.

kallaway1

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2004
are people not expecting merom to go immediately into the macbook as well? i don't see a reason for apple to purposely gimp their best-selling notebook when a merom chip is supposed to cost the same as its yonah counterpart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.