Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
USA
I read in the newest edition of Mac Addict that there were "some stability" issues when they upgraded their Blue G3 CD-RW drive to a Pioneer A05 drive. I believe they mentioned that the problems were limited if sleep functions were turned off.

I have a G4 Quicksilver and have been thinking about buying one of these A05 drives and wanted to know if anyone has done that yet and if so what problems they have experienced.

Also, Mac Addict states that some sort of firmware update may fix the problem with the AO5... is this similar to the 103/104 firmware updates that apple offers? Any insight would be useful.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
The sleep issues are simply fixed by turning off Hard Disk Sleep and deep sleep. No idea why that works but it does. You have to flash the firmware in a PC first, then bring it over to the mac. Not a very elegant way to do it. Some of them dont need to be flashed. I belive, but don't quote me the Cendynes from staples are ready to go out of the box. (its a A05 just rebadged.) Check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com for a full data base of these things.

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
USA
Thanks!

Originally posted by hugemullens
The sleep issues are simply fixed by turning off Hard Disk Sleep and deep sleep. No idea why that works but it does. You have to flash the firmware in a PC first, then bring it over to the mac. Not a very elegant way to do it. Some of them dont need to be flashed. I belive, but don't quote me the Cendynes from staples are ready to go out of the box. (its a A05 just rebadged.) Check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com for a full data base of these things.

Thanks for the info. I will give the Cendyne product a try. I guess the worst case is that I will have to return it for a different drive.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
Mavica and SuperDrive

This is sort of related to SuperDrive so I'm gonna throw it out here.

I don't know how many of you play around with digital photography and Sony Mavica camera, but I've been having trouble with mounting Mavica disc on to desktop using SuperDrive. Anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.